What's your next Audax?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
May I enquire why the route uphill from King's wasn't chosen/advised when word came back to King's that the road after Fairbourne was proper closed? It's only 100m more (through several gates) and the same distance; mostly tarmac.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/43000612?beta=false

Well you could ... but I wasn't making those decisions. And I was very verrrrrry fatigued at that point in time!
(I didn't know exactly where the RTA/closure was, and by the time I rode thru ~8am it was devoid of issues/debris/blood. And actually that gated road is quite slow progress IMO, I've ridden it a couple of times. Beautiful though! I rode the stretch from Dolgellau centre to get TO the YHA, big time-sink! I might post a pic later, taken on Mr Hurt's ride 2 years ago ... )

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My next one up is the 9 Counties 600 this weekend, with route-checking / stop points currently being checked.

DCLane

And how did it go?

It went fine, thanks, but I wasn't quick: https://www.strava.com/activities/9201920958 . @AJHB was doing it as well. I've got a sore back at the moment, having hurt it moving stuff about 8 weeks ago, and using mini-TT bars added speed plus pain, so I had to keep stopping.

Basically I turned it into a 2-day café tour :mrpig:

What it's also done is made me decided I won't be riding Paris-Brest-Paris as I currently couldn't do the event in the 60 hours I need to due to other commitments. Instead I'll try again in 4 year's time to ride as a Speciale/Randonneur.

Last edited:

iLB

Hello there
Good to briefly meet you @DCLane , looking at your signature I wonder if we crossed paths on LEL17 or something. Did you get any sleep ?

Decent ride in good weather, and got round in time for lunch as well.

DCLane

@iLB - good to meet you briefly, you were going much faster than me at that point. I did ride LEL in 2017 so possibly it was then. I got 60 minutes sleep in the car, plus a couple of 10-minute park bench rests on the Sunday, arriving back just before 4pm.

After Ashby-de-la-Zouch I hardly saw anyone else for the rest of the ride.

You must have been one of the first back as there were only a few brevet cards in the box at 4pm.

DCLane

I was supposed to be riding the East & West Coasts 600 this weekend but twanged my achilles on Wednesday's time trial. It's still a bit sore and, as I've races coming up, I've decided to DNS this one.

However, I'll be volunteering at the HQ on Sunday afternoon-evening instead. That'll be interesting.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Yay. I will be doing an Audax this year!

I missed out on "The Way to the Sea" and I will miss "Oh to be in Kent" due to diary shenanigans. But I've found one that fits in my diary and that I can reach the start. Hooray!

"Straight Outta Hackney" on Sat 9 Sep, 200k from N London to Cambridge and back. Ludicrously flat (998m in 210km with a max gradient of 3.8% according to RWGPS)

DCLane

The Compline 200 at the end of this month is my next event - I know the organiser and it's local.

DCLane

@Jameshow - it looks like the organiser's trying to get people who want to ride as a group to do so. They're putting on breakfast so I'd estimate being back by 6-8am, which is slower than my normal 8 hour 200 but fine with me.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Yay. I will be doing an Audax this year!

"Straight Outta Hackney" on Sat 9 Sep, 200k from N London to Cambridge and back. Ludicrously flat (998m in 210km with a max gradient of 3.8% according to RWGPS)
Well that didn't go so well. I managed to ride past the first control about 70k in without seeing it. I realised something was wrong when riders on the Audax started overtaking me. And as I figured I was the last rider on the road something had to be up.

So what to do? Ride back the way I'd come and try to find the control? Or simply declare DNF and improvise a ride to a station? Given the unpleasantly hot weather I did the latter and texted the organiser. As I'm now on an air conditioned train that seems like a good choice.

Still I got my monthly 100k done.

Top Bottom