What's your next Audax?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Having not done an audax for a while I've entered the Eureka 200km on 12 November: https://audax.uk/event-details/10367-eureka

Hopefully I'll get further than last year when something got caught in the rear mech, ripping that out along with breaking the rear wheel and chain. It was only on the 4th train of the day back, plus a 4-mile walk, that I remembered I knew someone a mile away who could've lent me a bike to get back!

GuyBoden

Guru
Having not done an audax for a while I've entered the Eureka 200km on 12 November: https://audax.uk/event-details/10367-eureka

Hopefully I'll get further than last year when something got caught in the rear mech, ripping that out along with breaking the rear wheel and chain. It was only on the 4th train of the day back, plus a 4-mile walk, that I remembered I knew someone a mile away who could've lent me a bike to get back!

Nice Cheshire route. Excellent, best of luck.:okay:

Looking somewhat wet for my 2023 / 24 season opener tomorrow, but that’s what my mountaineering clothing deals with, keeping me comfortable even if a bit damp.

The Upper Thames (where I was stamping cards at brunch) had about 48 riders out of 120-ish entries :O There was lots of minor flooding en-route, but more significant lots of flood alerts, which probably put people off :-/ One chap drove over from Kent, then drove straight home again in the rain :biggrin:

Those that set off had it basically dry from noon onwards - but several were totally fed-up by then, and packed.

Rather fortuitously, my CX race on Sunday was totally mud-free. Absolutely fantastic drainage up on the Hampshire downs :smile: :dance:

Jameshow

Veteran
Anyone else out in the cold, wet and muddy Eureka yesterday? https://www.strava.com/activities/10207595005

Well done it was a tough day! and I was only doing 60 or so miles from Bakewell to Bradford!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
There was lots of minor flooding en-route, but more significant lots of flood alerts, which probably put people off :-/ One chap drove over from Kent, then drove straight home again in the rain :biggrin:

I use the flood alert map to adjust routes where necessary if possible. Wrecked bearings of a dynamo wheel ina flood a bit too deep almost three years ago now.

I use the flood alert map to adjust routes where necessary if possible. Wrecked bearings of a dynamo wheel ina flood a bit too deep almost three years ago now.

I couldn't go out for the last 5 weeks if I avoided all flood alert areas :sad: The Upper Thames just couldn't have happened without some local knowledge.
(I really hate floods! Had to turn back on the Sustrans bit of this morning's commute, bonus extra miles on the main road, what fun ... )

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Nowadays I carry my bike through flooding that's deeper than the bottom-bracket. Long ago I've ridden through floods to the top of the wheels and even been washed off my bike in fast-flowing water.

I've been told I'm riding the Bampton Breakfast on the 25th, so that must be my next one. The last was the Flatlands 600 in, I think, July.

Polecat

I notice that the ride starts in Witham. I used to live in Silver End and caught the train to Liverpool Street in Witham when I was still working in London.
There was a Green King pub on the corner opposite my house in Silver End, lovely place until the landlord died and some yobs took it over and put in juke boxes. Pig farm on the other side of the road.
Silver End started off life as the factory village for Crittals and Wintertons (window makers) in Braintree.

Top Bottom