What's your next Audax?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I notice that the ride starts in Witham. I used to live in Silver End and caught the train to Liverpool Street in Witham when I was still working in London.
There was a Green King pub on the corner opposite my house in Silver End, lovely place until the landlord died and some yobs took it over and put in juke boxes. Pig farm on the other side of the road.
Silver End started off life as the factory village for Crittals and Wintertons (window makers) in Braintree.

I used to know a girl from round there. She used to refer to her home area of Braintree and Witham as Brainless and Witless.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Stansted Airport Express 100. I’ll definitely be making use of half way cafe control, which should then see my feet warm enough to the finish.

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
Snowdrop/sunrise Express 24th February
Organised by Birmingham-based Beacon Cycling Club
120 km from North Worcestershire, down to Upton on Severn.
I've done it twice before. It's well organised, friendly with a couple of decent cafe stops. Voucher for free food at the garden centre where it starts and stops.

Given the time of year, it can be prone to flooding. Going to do it this year with some friends and the GLW.

https://www.audax.uk/event-details/11061-snowdrop_express

You can also register via the Beacon website

UphillSlowly

Booked. Shall I wear my Cycle Chat top so you can spot me?

I wouldn't know what that looks like! Only been here for a few months. Wear whatever will keep you warm and dry!

We're going to do the Snowdrop, which starts at 9am, as chap coming a fair way. Trying to recruit someone off the 50k challenge too. Got no bike selfies on my phone since SD card was corrupted but I'll probably look a little bit like this, though will leave rope and harness at home. Bike choice,depends on weather

20231029_133218.jpg

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I wouldn't know what that looks like! Only been here for a few months. Wear whatever will keep you warm and dry!

We're going to do the Snowdrop, which starts at 9am, as chap coming a fair way. Trying to recruit someone off the 50k challenge too. Got no bike selfies on my phone since SD card was corrupted but I'll probably look a little bit like this, though will leave rope and harness at home. Bike choice,depends on weather

View attachment 718290

I'll be with an 11 year old. No chance of mistaking me for someone else.

UphillSlowly

I'll be with an 11 year old. No chance of mistaking me for someone else.

Outstanding effort by Little Brumjim. See you there!

My first audax is “Don’t keep to the roads”. A baby 100km starting at Northallerton scout hut on 24.02. I’m fine with the distance but never ridden a more informal “guided” ride before, just sportives which are now ridiculous prices!

Looking forward but nervous.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@bikingdad90 - the 100 looks interesting, if a little challenging. I've the 200 pencilled in, which is flatter, but not yet entered.

Dean organises decent events, if a bit tough. I rode a 300 he did last April where people bailed due to the cold and sleet. I'd got to Carlisle OK if cold, from Newcastle, but then had a hard slog back via Hawick.

Follow the gpx route, bring a pencil/pen and a printed copy of the route instructions and you'll be fine. Just don't linger too long at controls

Skuhravy

Veteran
@bikingdad90 - the 100 looks interesting, if a little challenging. I've the 200 pencilled in, which is flatter, but not yet entered.

Dean organises decent events, if a bit tough. I rode a 300 he did last April where people bailed due to the cold and sleet. I'd got to Carlisle OK if cold, from Newcastle, but then had a hard slog back via Hawick.

Follow the gpx route, bring a pencil/pen and a printed copy of the route instructions and you'll be fine. Just don't linger too long at controls

I'll admit I put on some tough rides, but I reckon that 300 was Andy Berne's, don't blame me for his weather :smile:

Jack's podcast describes the 100 km route very well, except it's a bit shorter now with a start and finish in Northallerton. I do love hearing Mike's great accent in that, and I was impressed that Jack managed to edit my incoherent babbling into something halfway usable.

I'd add that the 200 and the 100 will probably close before long, get an entry in if you do want to ride.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Apologies @Skuhravy - it was Andy's. The tough day out addled my brain. And it wasn't necessarily the weather, which was nasty, but more the rough road from Newcastleton to Hawick that did the damage. By Hawick, which I chose to spend as little time in as possible, I felt I'd been rattled apart. Or maybe shake-dried. That's until I got wet again.

I'll aim to get an entry in this weekend for the 200 after making sure SWMBO's not got anything planned that day.

Last edited:
Top Bottom