First Audax - what to expect...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mazz

As above - not done an Audax before, but I will doing one mid-Feb called "Rutland and Beyond" which is 100 km.
Any advice or recommendations welcome on what to reasonably expect on the day. Registration process, things to take, etc.
I'll be doing this on my own, unless 2 friends decide to join me.
I've got an old Garmin Edge510 loaded with the course route, which may/may not be up to the job for navigating me.
Thanks

13 rider

Guru
I have spotted this and it maybe my first audax so can't comment on the audax side , Looks a nice route the biggest climb comes early at Burrough on the hill then it's rolling terrain all the way especially climbing out out the Welland valley around Goadby
Edit just noticed there using the cycle path around part of Rutland which could be slower going if it's busy but at least it's flat and offers cafes at Whitwell and Normanton

Last edited:

alicat

Legendary Member
Take a pen plus everything you would normally take on a 100km unsupported ride and you will be fine. The only thing specific to this one is what refreshments are available. The pen is to fill in on the Brevet card the answer to any information questions (usually done to dissuade riders from taking a shortcut).

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Registration will be simple. Give them you name and you will get a brevit card and simple instructions. Then make sure you are at the departure point at the correct time, ready for any final details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
It will be a much smaller event than a Sportive, but there will be plenty of riders to ride along with, if that’s what you want. Just introduce yourself.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My learning from doing quite a few;

- Read the route instructions carefully (the routesheet). Then read them again. If there's a .gpx file then great, but there's not always one: the event you're doing has one and I'd be inclined to have a look at it alongside the route instructions. The route instructions take you through different directions and elements; understanding what they're doing and where they're taking you is often very helpful.
- Take a pen and/or pencil. Small ones are fine as they fit inside the plastic bag you may get with your Brevet card (a small card on which you fill in receipts / answers as you go round).
- Make sure you've got some cash, as well as a credit/debit card just in case you need to buy anything.
- Take some food and a water bottle along.
- Work out where you're planning to stop. The controls usually give an indication and this one's got two café controls plus another and a couple of information controls where you answer a question. But don't stop too long; there's a tendency to do this and it means you can run out of time. I 'bounce' controls a lot, with the aim of being in-and-out in 2-10 minutes.
- Make sure you've got some spares (tubes / pump / multi-tool / chain link) just in case anything goes wrong. It's only a short ride but being able to fix enough to keep you going makes the difference between success and failure.
- Enjoy the ride. It looks a nice route.

Oh, and there's a specific audax sub-forum :okay: https://www.cyclechat.net/forums/audax-brevet-randonnee.154/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

I have spotted this and it maybe my first audax so can't comment on the audax side , Looks a nice route the biggest climb comes early at Burrough on the hill then it's rolling terrain all the way especially climbing out out the Welland valley around Goadby
Edit just noticed there using the cycle path around part of Rutland which could be slower going if it's busy but at least it's flat and offers cafes at Whitwell and Normanton

I see you're in Leicester too. You're welcome to tag along with me mate, we'll be lost together 😆

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I’ve linked the event

https://www.audax.uk/event-details/11085-rutland_and_beyond

I will try not to repeat what others have said.

It’s winter and there may be suggested routing changes on the day due to ice. Listen to what the organiser / volunteers have to say about any possible on the day changes. If you don’t understand something, ask a question. No question is stupid.

1. The brevet card handed out the start may or may not have your details on a label on the back. If not fill them in. You’ll need to sign the card.

2. The event closes at 125 entries which suggests a good turn out for an audax. You should expect there will be someone riding about your pace if you are prepared the flex your usual speed a little.

3. Some cafe controls are mentioned and these may be manned by a volunteer who will stamp your brevet card in the box for that control. If they are not manned then make sure to ask for a receipt with your purchase. The control receipts are necessary to validate your ride.

4. There will not be arrows on every turn like a sportive. A copy of the Route sheet as backup to your GPS can be a life saver if it fails. A Route sheet also gives you turn by turn instructions and details of which villages you pass through as well as what’s on the road signs. Before the event load it on your GPS and make sure it shows the right distance. Sometimes supplied GPX files are provided with too many points and can get truncated by older devices like the 510. If you use Garmin Connect add course points (if not already in file) to alert you to the control locations.

5. I route my 300km audax along the dam side of Rutland water. Enjoy it, it’s not a race, and very pleasant along there. Usually not too busy unless you hit park run. There’s public toilets between the cafe and bike store at Normanton. Part way up the steep bit, on the right if you’ve come across the dam.

You have a time limit of almost 9 hours. If you plan to take full advantage of that (or have some mechanicals), then make sure to have some lights. The lanes have no street lights.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

Thanks for the replies. Having read them, I'll be honest, my main concern is making a wrong turn and getting lost.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Beards. Expect lots of beards. Oh, and expect to make some friends along the way.

Before covid I was addicted to 100km audaxes. Love 'em. Some good tips above (eg remember a biro for filling in the brevet card). It's all about being self-reliant really. Research the route as well as you can before the day and take all the repair kit you might need with you.

The main differences between an audax and a sportive seem to be that they are much cheaper to enter and they don't spoon feed you by sticking up direction arrows to mark the route for you. Being not the speediest rider myself, I always tended to start as close to the front as possible and try to keep up with a leading group for the first 10 miles or so before relaxing. You then get a steady stream of single cyclists and little groups gradually passing you and giving you a bike to follow, removing the pressure to find the right route. Then I tended to use the rest breaks for a minimal rest ... cup of tea, slice of cake and a pee, then get out of there leaving plenty of others to drift past you on the second leg. At some time or other, you will find yourself completely on your own, and might wonder whether you are at the back of the field. So long as you are at all within the (usually generous) time limit, you will not be at the back. Unlike sportives, some riders will always stop off for a pint here or there, and there will always be a few who have been held up by mechanicals.

Enjoy it.

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

I opened up the TCX file for this Audax in a text editor and it's embedded with "<Notes>"...see image.
Question: Will these appear on the edge510 screen during the ride, as direction instructions?

TCX screenshot.PNG

Top Bottom