What's your next Audax?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Route Check of Rutland Midnight Express 300 completed and rider info sent out yesterday. It was a cold one overnight, 2C and pea souper fog for first 4 hours. But no rain and winds only moderate.

Now looking forward to pre ride curry this Friday and seeing riders off into the night.

IMG_1482.jpeg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Next up is the Llanfair 400 on May 6th. The weight of my Ridgeback Platinum (18kg when fully loaded) made Saturday's hilly 300 tougher so I'm swapping the Shimano 105 5800 crankset for a Dura-Ace 9000 one to save a bit of weight. Every little helps.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Are the locations ///up.steep.hill followed by ///down.gravelly.lane ?
Actually, no. The Brevet Cymru 2023 has minimal uphills (climb over to the Teifi valley and the post-Mariners kit muster (iykyk) hike up to Synod Inn excepted). Only 5 AAA points on offer.
Organiser has specified Golden Valley rather than crank up that narrow scenic road and followed by ///down.gravelly.lane to Hay.
I can't think of another ///down.gravelly.lane in the whole 408km (can you?).
I did lead a lost bloke to Llangattock school hall in the dark one year. I found him lost peering as some device or other: he was truly thankful. I recommend this tactic: make sure you're on the route and wait for the next rider who comes along. Then get lost in company; or not.

Info has arrived for the Brevet Cymru. I find myself getting irritated at ///what.three.words locations.

I've just realised that with the new car-park start, this event will have more climbing than descending for many riders.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Actually, no. The Brevet Cymru 2023 has minimal uphills (climb over to the Teifi valley and the post-Mariners kit muster (iykyk) hike up to Synod Inn excepted). Only 5 AAA points on offer.
Organiser has specified Golden Valley rather than crank up that narrow scenic road and followed by ///down.gravelly.lane to Hay.
I can't think of another ///down.gravelly.lane in the whole 408km (can you?).
I did lead a lost bloke to Llangattock school hall in the dark one year. I found him lost peering as some device or other: he was truly thankful. I recommend this tactic: make sure you're on the route and wait for the next rider who comes along. Then get lost in company; or not.

It’s been 9 years since I rode BC and anything resembling accurate memories will be merged with many rides since. I do know that’s the event where I encountered the 10,000 tracklog point limit crashing my Etrex somewhere near Brecon. Thus, once I was aware, never had my Etrex choke on that again.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I've just realised that with the new car-park start, this event will have more climbing than descending for many riders.
Think there is nowhere lower than the castle car park (maybe the pub by the bridge - see below) where you could get a PoP.
So I'd say this is 'all riders' and I recommend the BP fuel station just off the first roundabout after the climb/descent from Usk for PoP.
1682503822137.png

1682504005177.png

Travelodge Person- Have you got a bike with you?
Me- Er... yes.
TP- Thought so, I recognised the name. I've given you a ground floor room.

Last time I stayed here was nearly a year ago.

Result! I've never had that pleasure ...

Can't remember getting a ground-floor room with the bike.
What I don't understand about that is that presumably for non-cyclists, ground floor is least desirable - more noise, might feel less secure, less of a view (cos we all know TL's are in the locations with the best views, right?). I guess the more infirm still struggle with luggage on stairs, but there's almost always a lift for those folk.

So why isn't there a glut of ground-floor rooms??

Top Bottom