We are all background characters.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
They do but humans do sickening things like torture people or make the killing painful on purpose. Also genocides which have gone in the millions.

I've seen cats do pretty nasty things.

Also certain primates have been observed not to have a "limit", so if a group of primates attacking the leader won't fight until they win, but will pull the loser to pieces.

Just as humans can be cruel and inhumane, as a species we aren't indifferent, but generally revolted by it, and most societies try to avoid it and protect weaker members of that society. there are two sides to this coin.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Good Grief! What an extraordinary dollop of pathos. If one does not want to be lonely, it takes effort not to be; if one wants to be alone, there is still plenty of space to do just that. The world is full of curmudgeons and full of Polly Anna's, there is something for everyone's taste or distaste.
But, what is interesting in this thread is the number of people who say they like to be alone and the number who say the opposite, yet I suspect none are really being truthful about their feelings of either abandonment or being overly fulfilled with companionship. What you all need is an encounter weekend together. Truly this is all a banquet of material for a Freudian intervention.

Well, that's an interesting take which I will give some thought to.

I do, however, not concur with your somewhat acidic remark re 'none are really being truthful'.

Members on here do tend towards being honest, open & truthful and I, and many others, engage with them on that basis.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Sometimes it takes courage to accept that and then even more courage to do something about it. Often enough it is we ourselves (I don't mean me in this case, just instancing) who are the cause of our dislocation from other members of society - which does not mean it cannot be remedied. Smile, even to yourself in the mirror, and smile at everyone, go outdoors and smile and greet with a 'hello', you'll be surprised how many others are waiting for that greeting. But, at the end of the day, you won't get anywhere until you accept you are good and okay and worthwhile and meaningful. Go make friends, and do it now!

Have you ever had one of your children die?

Have you buried your life partner?

People experiencing those kinds of losses are not really helped by being told to "cheer up and make new friends"

they don;t tell you much about food banks feeding loads of people
or museums running science clubs for disadvantaged kid
or people visiting old people who can;t get out
many of whom do it all as a volunteer

Food banks are not a positive news story.

In fact, none of this is 'good news'. It's frankly awful that foodbanks are needed, children are disadvantaged and that old people are isolated in their homes. None of this should be normalised as 'acceptable' because it isn't. It is a reflection on what is wrong with the way we've allowed society to develop.

blackrat

In fact, none of this is 'good news'. It's frankly awful that foodbanks are needed, children are disadvantaged and that old people are isolated in their homes. None of this should be normalised as 'acceptable' because it isn't. It is a reflection on what is wrong with the way we've allowed society to develop.

Very true. It's all an indictment on modern society. I recall visiting family in Middlesborough some decades ago and most of the doors on the terraced streets were open all the time, anyone could drop in for a chat and cuppa. I suspect nowadays many people sit in the homes surfing the internet and care not a wit about others.

Yes - I agree and I have been saying that for years

the positive bit about it is the people who are willing to turn up and help out - and even run the places - as volunteers just because people need helping out
Just helping others - no self gain

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Good Grief! What an extraordinary dollop of pathos. If one does not want to be lonely, it takes effort not to be; if one wants to be alone, there is still plenty of space to do just that. The world is full of curmudgeons and full of Polly Anna's, there is something for everyone's taste or distaste.
But, what is interesting in this thread is the number of people who say they like to be alone and the number who say the opposite, yet I suspect none are really being truthful about their feelings of either abandonment or being overly fulfilled with companionship. What you all need is an encounter weekend together. Truly this is all a banquet of material for a Freudian intervention.
I suspect - no, I'm positive, that @screenman's loneliness would only be eased by one person coming back to life.
I also suspect that @blackrat has no empathy for now: maybe in the future stuff will happen to you that might change your prospective.
When I was younger I thought everyone should man/woman up, get a grip, act, not dwell.
Now that I'm older, I apply those principles only to myself because I like them.
I wouldn't ask the same of others, I understand now that people have different strength of character, different breaking points, feel different emotions.

blackrat

"I also suspect that @blackrat has no empathy for now:"
I would never in a million years assign motives or understanding to anyone I have never met, but whatever rocks your boat. And you a moderator? Really!

classic33

Leg End Member
Seen, 15 years ago, by someone who I'd last seen on a summer day as we left school to go our seperate ways some thirty years previously. This was at work, in a shop where people came and went on a daily basis. So new faces could be seen each day, with little attention or thought given to, or about them.

Seen at the start of May this year by someone who'd reckoned I'd not changed one bit in over 50 years. Again in June, by a paramedic who'd moved back into the area, following their job. Again not seen for over half a century.
Was able to let both know they were now on youtube, in their youth. The paramedic was going to check later, but one of their colleagues found the piece whilst we waited. Much laughter at the piece being watched.

I've this feeling that there's more people remember me than than I remember them. I do wonder what happened to folk. Some are no longer about, others have moved abroad, but it doesn't stop me wondering how they're doing.

As for me, I'm well aware that I'm just one person, in a county of over 21/4 million. So just one out of many. How many people remember me hasn't bothered me, but I'm still surprised when someone comes up to and introduces themselves. Almost as though there's been no gap in the time since we last saw each other.

classic33

Leg End Member
I would never in a million years assign motives or understanding to anyone I have never met, but whatever rocks your boat. And you a moderator? Really!
Moderator maybe, but number 19787 is still entitled to their own thoughts.

As for your last part, you've already done that bit.

Last edited:

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Actually prefer the 'false narrative' to the 'truth'...

ACCORDING TO A commonly shared story, the anthropologist Margaret Mead was supposedly asked by a student what she thought was the earliest sign of a civilized society. There are many variations of the anecdote, but the general details are similar: To the student’s surprise, Mead replied that the first sign of civilization is a healed human femur—the long bone that connects the hip to the knee.
Mead proceeded to explain, as the story goes, that wounded animals in the wild would be hunted and eaten before their broken bones could heal. Thus, a healed femur is a sign that a wounded person must have received help from others. Mead is said to have concluded, “Helping someone else through difficulty is where civilization starts.”
It is, to be sure, a beautiful, “feel-good” story—one that puts kindness, altruism, and collaboration at the heart of being human. One version, published by Forbes at the start of the pandemic, vaguely references an archaeological site “15,000 years old” where the femur was supposedly found—suggesting that these qualities are deeply embedded in human history. It’s no surprise that the anecdote began recirculating online during a time of historic uncertainty and isolation.
However, the story immediately aroused skepticism on my part. And the more I dug into it, the more it seemed to fall apart.

TO START, THERE is no reliable evidence that Mead said what has been attributed to her. Internet sleuths have traced the earliest reference to this anecdote to the 1980 book Fearfully and Wonderfully Made, in which the surgeon Paul Brand writes that he was “reminded of a lecture given by the anthropologist Margaret Mead, who spent much of her life studying primitive cultures.”
But when Mead was asked directly in an interview, “When does a culture become a civilization?,” her documented response was very different. “Looking at the past,” Mead replied, “we have called societies civilizations when they have had great cities, elaborate division of labor, some form of keeping records. These are the things that have made civilization.”

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Mine was not a moderator's post, those are clearly marked "Mod Note" at the beginning of the posts by a mod doing mod's duties.
Mods are members too, we are allowed to participate.
Just to clarify.

Top Bottom