We are all background characters.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The khmer rouge - monsters for indiscriminate krill hunting, seal clubbing, and accidentally netting dolphins.

Can we not have True Facts about the Khmer Rouge?

Say what you like about the Khmer Rouge, you can't get away from the fact that they are less krill per day than a single blue whale

screenman

Legendary Member
I am happy therefore I am on my own. That'll change soon as son and partner and son's friend will be back in a few hours. I will enjoy my solo existence for as long as it can last.

That is different from being alone, that is just being alone for a while. I never felt real loneliness until Pam passed away, I suppose if you never have something you cannot miss it.

Slick

Guru
That is different from being alone, that is just being alone for a while. I never felt real loneliness until Pam passed away, I suppose if you never have something you cannot miss it.

Absolutely.

I really can't believe anyone would even attempt to draw a comparison.

screenman

Legendary Member
Absolutely.

I really can't believe anyone would even attempt to draw a comparison.

The amount of people that say to me they could easily live alone, it is not as easy as it looks, I am not living just surviving, many I know are going through the same thing, I am trying to help some of those people now, never again will I say those wasted words I said earlier
"if there is anything I can do just let me know" Believe me it is easier to just sit and cry than it is to make a phone call.

Slick

Guru
The amount of people that say to me they could easily live alone, it is not as easy as it looks, I am not living just surviving, many I know are going through the same thing, I am trying to help some of those people now, never again will I say those wasted words I said earlier
"if there is anything I can do just let me know" Believe me it is easier to just sit and cry than it is to make a phone call.

I've noticed an older boy who hobbles down to the local golf club every day with the help of a frame. He seems to sit for hours with a couple of pints and I'm sure he's just looking for a bit of social interaction. I've said hello a few times, but after reading your posts, I'm going to sit and have a drink with him Saturday, if nothing else just to find out his story.

screenman

Legendary Member
I've noticed an older boy who hobbles down to the local golf club every day with the help of a frame. He seems to sit for hours with a couple of pints and I'm sure he's just looking for a bit of social interaction. I've said hello a few times, but after reading your posts, I'm going to sit and have a drink with him Saturday, if nothing else just to find out his story.

Do it, I bet you enjoy it, and I bet it helps him no end.

blackrat

Good Grief! What an extraordinary dollop of pathos. If one does not want to be lonely, it takes effort not to be; if one wants to be alone, there is still plenty of space to do just that. The world is full of curmudgeons and full of Polly Anna's, there is something for everyone's taste or distaste.
But, what is interesting in this thread is the number of people who say they like to be alone and the number who say the opposite, yet I suspect none are really being truthful about their feelings of either abandonment or being overly fulfilled with companionship. What you all need is an encounter weekend together. Truly this is all a banquet of material for a Freudian intervention.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
Good Grief! What an extraordinary dollop of pathos. If one does not want to be lonely, it takes effort not to be; if one wants to be alone, there is still plenty of space to do just that. The world is full of curmudgeons and full of Polly Anna's, there is something for everyone's taste or distaste.
But, what is interesting in this thread is the number of people who say they like to be alone and the number who say the opposite, yet I suspect none are really being truthful about their feelings of either abandonment or being overly fulfilled with companionship. What you all need is an encounter weekend together. Truly this is all a banquet of material for a Freudian intervention.

I am being very truthful. I could never realise being lonely would be so painful.

blackrat

I am being very truthful. I could never realise being lonely would be so painful.

Sometimes it takes courage to accept that and then even more courage to do something about it. Often enough it is we ourselves (I don't mean me in this case, just instancing) who are the cause of our dislocation from other members of society - which does not mean it cannot be remedied. Smile, even to yourself in the mirror, and smile at everyone, go outdoors and smile and greet with a 'hello', you'll be surprised how many others are waiting for that greeting. But, at the end of the day, you won't get anywhere until you accept you are good and okay and worthwhile and meaningful. Go make friends, and do it now!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
A while back I read a biography of Sir Jimmy Goldsmith who was a big swinging dick in the world of finance in past decades. If I remember correctly, dying of cancer, he made a final journey back to his family house in Spain and died in the bed he was born in. I was struck by how completely insignificant we all are, even if people think we are hugely important when we're alive.

I MET a traveller from an antique land Who said:—Two vast and trunkless legs of stone Stand in the desert. Near them on the sand, Half sunk, a shatter'd visage lies, whose frown And wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command 5 Tell that its sculptor well those passions read Which yet survive, stamp'd on these lifeless things, The hand that mock'd them and the heart that fed. And on the pedestal these words appear: "My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: 10 Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!" Nothing beside remains: round the decay Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare, The lone and level sands stretch far away.

BTW, I'm completely comfortable with being insignificant and always have been.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
Sometimes it takes courage to accept that and then even more courage to do something about it. Often enough it is we ourselves (I don't mean me in this case, just instancing) who are the cause of our dislocation from other members of society - which does not mean it cannot be remedied. Smile, even to yourself in the mirror, and smile at everyone, go outdoors and smile and greet with a 'hello', you'll be surprised how many others are waiting for that greeting. But, at the end of the day, you won't get anywhere until you accept you are good and okay and worthwhile and meaningful. Go make friends, and do it now!

I am doing all those things and more, you will be surprised how lonely it can be in a crowd, or in your bed alone at night, or when you wake up in the middle of the night. I swam this morning, I had a coffers out with a pal later, I dropped in at my son's, I visited some of my customers and earned some mobet and I went to the gym this evening, most of the day I had a smile on my face for other people's benefit, I still felt lonely. Telling people to accept they are okay means you have no understanding of what is going on in their heads.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Freud was wrong in his thinking.

blackrat

I am doing all those things and more, you will be surprised how lonely it can be in a crowd, or in your bed alone at night, or when you wake up in the middle of the night. I swam this morning, I had a coffers out with a pal later, I dropped in at my son's, I visited some of my customers and earned some mobet and I went to the gym this evening, most of the day I had a smile on my face for other people's benefit, I still felt lonely. Telling people to accept they are okay means you have no understanding of what is going on in their heads.

So true, look at Graham Thorpe. However, talking it out must help?

Top Bottom