We are all background characters.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
We are all NPC (Non Player Character).

And if you still don't know, it's when you play a computer game and control the main character, but there are lots of other characters roaming about just doing what they do. They are NPC. They are us. We are them.
That’s the new online insult.

Sometimes it takes courage to accept that and then even more courage to do something about it. Often enough it is we ourselves (I don't mean me in this case, just instancing) who are the cause of our dislocation from other members of society - which does not mean it cannot be remedied. Smile, even to yourself in the mirror, and smile at everyone, go outdoors and smile and greet with a 'hello', you'll be surprised how many others are waiting for that greeting. But, at the end of the day, you won't get anywhere until you accept you are good and okay and worthwhile and meaningful. Go make friends, and do it now!

It always takes courage to accept and do something about it. The question is how much, and what the result looks like. From experience this depends on the individual.

I also suspect that @blackrat has no empathy for now: maybe in the future stuff will happen to you that might change your prospective.

that was my immediate thought when I read his post, insensitive and a complete lack of empathy.

Some have more than others, thankfully it can be learned. I notice the most of the more empathetic people I meet are also amongst the more courageous, usually because they've experienced struggle and overcome it.

Jameshow

Veteran
Sometimes it takes courage to accept that and then even more courage to do something about it. Often enough it is we ourselves (I don't mean me in this case, just instancing) who are the cause of our dislocation from other members of society - which does not mean it cannot be remedied. Smile, even to yourself in the mirror, and smile at everyone, go outdoors and smile and greet with a 'hello', you'll be surprised how many others are waiting for that greeting. But, at the end of the day, you won't get anywhere until you accept you are good and okay and worthwhile and meaningful. Go make friends, and do it now!

That's all very well until a tragedy comes upon you, the death if a child ie siblings or spouse, and you are plunged into the deepest pit, the empathy of family and friends lasts a week or perhaps two past the funeral before everyone else goes back to normality leaving you the immediate family to suffer in silence.

Meeting new people is great until you tell them a little about yourself and this whole avalanche of trauma becomes unsettled and you end up talking to fewer and fewer people people out of self protection.

You talk to people and you find they don't understand, they have straight forward lives without the major trauma you have suffered. So unless you find someone with similar experiences you feel alone in a crowd, but seeking out those persons with understanding severely limits your friendship base.

Just my experience and that of others ...

All uphill

Still rolling along
Some have more than others, thankfully it can be learned. I notice the most of the more empathetic people I meet are also amongst the more courageous, usually because they've experienced struggle and overcome it.

I agree.

Seems to me that there are at least two parts to empathy.

I observe that not everyone has the capacity to recognise other people have feelings. Maybe this can be learnt - I don't know.

The second part is having lived through something comparable , which helps us respond in a way that helps the person we are with.

screenman

Legendary Member
That's all very well until a tragedy comes upon you, the death if a child ie siblings or spouse, and you are plunged into the deepest pit, the empathy of family and friends lasts a week or perhaps two past the funeral before everyone else goes back to normality leaving you the immediate family to suffer in silence.

Meeting new people is great until you tell them a little about yourself and this whole avalanche of trauma becomes unsettled and you end up talking to fewer and fewer people people out of self protection.

You talk to people and you find they don't understand, they have straight forward lives without the major trauma you have suffered. So unless you find someone with similar experiences you feel alone in a crowd, but seeking out those persons with understanding severely limits your friendship base.

Just my experience and that of others ...

I share that with you; I am extremely outgoing and, even in these dark times, have the ability to make people laugh, but then you think, maybe people will think I am ok, whereas in reality, I am putting up a shield to hide behind. I have not got past the point wher I can enjoy something without feeling guilty about it. And, when I see something and then think Pam will never see that again I just cry, like I am now whilst typing this.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Cats play with their prey. They could just kill it outright but sometimes they just play. Nature is weird.

True, but we are supposed to be spiritual beings. No way have we evolved from primates without the help from Aliens or some kind of god. When humans have no empathy it’s an evil.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
True, but we are supposed to be spiritual beings. No way have we evolved from primates without the help from Aliens or some kind of god. When humans have no empathy it’s an evil.

ngifs.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F09%2Fhuh.gif

I don't think we need to bring Aliens or Gods into the equation

The concept of empathy is a good way of creating a working society that results in a group of people who with protect each other
which produces an organism that has a better chance of survival

no Gods required

but on the other hand maybe Gods were involved - but they were not needed

the ability to believe in a ahigher power also produces functioning societies (to one of several definitions of functioning!) - so the ability to invent the concept of a God or Gods and induce the belief of that being is also a useful survival tool - whether or not that God exists!

classic33

Leg End Member
You might be closer than you think with your usage of the word "characters", pointing perhaps to the fact that our reality isn't real at all.

All the major inventions over the years were nothing more than hints being given in the computer coding. They even let us see some of what they've seen over time when they gave us computer games that allow us to build our own worlds.

Top Bottom