Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Didnt cycle in Monday of course looks to be best day of the week not my choice as always, this week cycling in four days :smile:. Started out in the dry then heavens opened lucky for me had winter gear in back pack only thing will regret is soggy feet on way home due to not putting over shoes one. Found new trick with wet shoes wear ski socks on way in then put them in shoes it absorbs damp in the shoe of course wear other socks home otherwise kind of defeats idea.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
A6 was busy this morning got stuck going through Levenshulme behind two buses which made it impossible to filter.

Tried a new hiviz softshell out this morning and it was good in terms of warmth and it's very bright.

simongt

Guru
On the way yesterday, passed an eating establishment of some sort which was advertising 'Real Food - !' :eek:
So what other 'types' of food are there and what is the implication that other establishments may be serving I wonder - ? :laugh:

• Laugh
Reactions: C R
Wet!

The morning was supposed to be dry and bright before heavy rain in the afternoon. The morning turned out to be grey and damp with some light rain. All afternoon turned out to be sunny except for the odd shower that wasn't bad. Typically, I got stuck in the office and missed the reasonable weather and got it wetter than an otter's pocket and just as dark. The only positive thing with it being reasonable the roads I thought would flood were clearish and oncoming drivers seemed reasonable about what ponding there was, hanging back rather than ploughing through.

Edit: I forgot to say that given it had been OK'ish yesterday afternoon, I was lulled into thinking that I didn't need the cycling cap under the helmet. I was wrong, I could have done with the peak to shield the glasses, which without they became a blur!

Last edited:

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Have the ex Royal Mail Pashley its first go at commuting today, the dodgy pigeon and ducks liked it
IMG_8900.jpeg

IMG_8894.jpeg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Damp one this morning - just got heavier as time went on. Land Cruisers now fitted all round after last week's blow out. Scabby elbow and knee.

Bike locker 'door' now locking properly - we've an issue with new users not reading signs - the door release is under a flap that says 'Door release' (it's an external switch cover basically) but someone keeps pressing the 'emergency' button which is under glass like a fire button. - Again it's labelled up. I used the external lockers yesterday as the door wouldn't lock because if you press the 'emergency' button, it cuts power to the mag lock until Facilities come to reset it. It's apparently been happening most days !

There is now a big sign saying to lift the flap to access the door release button. Groan.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
When i came out of work last night it was a mixture of torrential cloudbursts and light rain so i asked a work mate for a lift home as he has a people transporter thing with a bike rack in the back so you can just sling the bike in and tie it off .Im glad i did as i would have been soaked through within a couple of minutes .

When i came out of work last night it was a mixture of torrential cloudbursts and light rain so i asked a work mate for a lift home as he has a people transporter thing with a bike rack in the back so you can just sling the bike in and tie it off .Im glad i did as i would have been soaked through within a couple of minutes .

I got caught in a couple of them. I could have avoided the first by getting on the train a couple of stops earlier and making it a 1-2min cycle but it tends to be packed in like sardines at St Evanage and it didn't look that bad. Wrong! I couldn't have avoided the far end though, and whilst it's less than half of my main commute (circa 45-50mins at the St Evanage side, and 15-20mins at the Pottyboro side), I got more wet during that 20mins 😂

cyberknight

I got caught in a couple of them. I could have avoided the first by getting on the train a couple of stops earlier and making it a 1-2min cycle but it tends to be packed in like sardines at St Evanage and it didn't look that bad. Wrong! I couldn't have avoided the far end though, and whilst it's less than half of my main commute (circa 45-50mins at the St Evanage side, and 15-20mins at the Pottyboro side), I got more wet during that 20mins 😂

at least you have the option of public transport :smile: not many buses around after midnight and none to where i work anyway .

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
A summary of this week's trundlings so far; thankfully for the tedium-averse my crap memory has probably edited out a lot..

Monday brought a lovely, sunny morning and a correspondingly pleasant ride in. The ride back was pretty nice too; extended out to about 14 miles albeit with some disappointingly tough / defeatest time on the rings.

Tuesday's journey in was dominated by a surprisingly nice drive - no tailgaters, nobody hammering past on the dual carriageway and cutting infront on the brakes; everyone chilled, attentive and respectful for a change. The only outlier was yet another BMW soft-roader that pulled out infront of me; not dangerously so but close enough that there was a speed difference when I reached them... however this was on a straight, clear bit of road so I just knocked it down a couple of gears and sailed past :smile:

I remember awaking quite anxous however felt tangibly better for the ride in.. while I'm sure sitting in traffic on the ring road in the car would have had the direct opposite effect.

Unfortunately the trip back wasn't so great due to the near-constant rain and sporadic, heavy showers. I just wanted to get it out of the way so gave the pub a miss and set off on the most direct route in a period of relative calm; pre-emptively clad in the "waterproofs".

By half way through it'd got a lot heavier and everything was soaked; although once on the last bit of tow path it had eased right off again and I stopped to trim a few more errant brambles - their growth now apparently slowed by the diminishing servings of light and warmth.

A bit further on I passed the summer's previously encountered hot redhead and her unconcerned black lab (who were both as drenched as I was); our interactions this time extending to a brief exchange of vocal greetings :smile: While I'd initially thought she might have been a resident it seems she only passes through; and today her boat was once-more absent from last night's mooring..

This morning I was up at 6 thanks to my crap bladder; attempting to use the time productively by sticking my still-wet shoes in the airing cupboard and waxing yesterday's chain, which had gone decidently ginger and squeaky.

Another lovely morning and pleasant ride that involved some more trimming at the Yarnton end of the tow path. This elicited an acknowledgement from another cyclist I pass regularly from the other direction who apparently also sometimes does similar; as well as an "I wondered who was doing that" from a female-fellow-Brompton rider which was very much appreciated - nice to know that others actually notice the fruits of my efforts.

No sausages today as my digestion is utterly shafted so I'm trying to give it a break with a fast. Was a bit too late to do the extended loop so satisfied myself with a nice chilled ride and a bit more trimming; made more fun by the fact that most was over head and covered in water; rewarding my efforts with a little shower every time I severed another stem..

I managed to avoid the rain but left the bike outside the office; only to find it'd got quietly soaked without me noticing.. so it looks like the chain might be going in the oven when I get home.

Weather looks variable for later so I guess I'll have to take it as it comes.. for now I've just largely been happy for the opportunity to get out in not-utterly-terrible weather while I still can.. :smile:

IMG_20241009_084100.jpg

Last edited:

cyberknight

Well yesterday the rain was forecast to finish by around 7 pm so it was looking good for a dry ride home , unfortunately the weather had other ideas so it stayed dry all evening and literally started as i walked to the bike sheds .It wasnt heavy at the start so i chanced it with just the gilet but it got heavier but by the time i realized i was going to get wet it was too late to stop and change so i ploughed on and got an early wash ;)

Top Bottom