Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Casually overtaking a jogger on the Railway Path this morning, staggered to see the bike coming towards me had its rider hunched up over the handlebars, looking down....then I realised what he was doing...texting as he rode along.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Saw a gritter lorry driving around when I went to work although he must have been on the way to load up as it was empty. Nearly wiped out by a 4x4 pulling out of a junction as I rode past it so he was level with me and close enough to touch as I made very clear my thoughts on the driving.

simongt

Guru
On the way into the city this morning, two young teenager lasses crossed the road in front of me a bit close for comfort. The one who got past me just looked, perhaps a bit surprised, t'other waited and laughed at her pals daft action.
Smiles all round, no crossed words or expressions.
Result. ^_^

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Wet this morning, I was lulled into a false sense of wellbeing by ten miles of careful drivers before a nasty close and fast pass from a signwritten trade van.

Within 1m at 40mph is not acceptable so I have sent it in to Avon & Somerset who usually prosecute the worse close passes, and emailed the company with my complaint and a copy of the footage.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Bleak and miserable today - dark, grey and wet. Set out in the waterproofs from the off with cycling cap to keep the rain off.

No waterproof gloves so hands cold and wet; at least until half way or so when I'd warmed up.

Rain had stopped by the time I'd got to the office; outer layers hung and drying. Coat did a decent job of keeping the rain off despite being washed in detergent (as advised) for the first time at the weekend.

Socks changed, shoes still wet but not got trench foot yet.

Grim but still better than being sat in traffic; thankfully weather looks less horrible on the way home / for the rest of the week.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
My first commute from my new home in Rochester. Back to a cycle/train/cycle commute with the new folder. A baptism of fire this morning with heavy rain, cold too. Train station is only 3/4's of a mile from home so at least wasn't out in the rain for long. 7.30am train to that there London with my stop being Bromley South. A 27 minute train journey. It seems that the train's not that busy at that time, with many others choosing other, quicker services to London. Jumped on where the bike storage was to find a Bromptonista already there, who kindly moved his bike along so I could get my bike in and strapped. Had a seat too and had a bit of a chat.
Bromley South and it was still pissing with heavy rain. 7 and half miles to work doing the A21 blast. The new bike (Tern Verge D9) performed awfully well. Being a 20" folder it felt and handled more like a big boy's bike rather then the smaller wheel Brompton. Got up to speed quite nicely and easily cruised at 19s and 20's. Got to work like the proverbial drowned rat of course. Looking wet for the return home but better for the rest of the week.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
This mornings commute was cold , wet and pitch black so really enjoyable .....NOT !
The commuter bike that I have been trying to solve the mysterious creak was back on the road after more fettling but it is still just as bad so i am about ready to chuck it in the skip, i will have to take it to the lbs as it creaks from the back end with every pedal stroke or bump and i have greased and tightened everything on the bike by now .
:banghead:

Put a new rear wheel, chain and cassette on the commuter last night and set it up tubeless. Delightfully the latter tubeless tyre was still solid in the morning. Overall on the dash to the station it felt great having a smooth/ quiet freehub (the old one has a collapsed ball bearing).

20241015_065152.jpg

AI reckons:

Screenshot_20241015-070453_Strava.jpg

Bit what it doesn't realise it is only the start of my journey.

Top Bottom