Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Glad you're not too hurt @fossyant How did the tyre get that damaged?

On another note, finally the rain has passed. Was a dry commute home. Stopped to help a walking cyclist with a flat. He had a new inner tube but no pump. Soon sorted.
Funny thing is. He does the opposite commute to me. He works in Orpington and lives in Deptford. I live in Orpington and work in Deptford. He has seen me a few times he said.

Today's commute weather wise was much better, not too cold and a bit of blue sky. Bumping into two other fellow A21 cycle commuters who I've made friends with over the years. I usually see them separately but found out they both live on the same road.

Good ride in.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Glad you're not too hurt @fossyant How did the tyre get that damaged?

On another note, finally the rain has passed. Was a dry commute home. Stopped to help a walking cyclist with a flat. He had a new inner tube but no pump. Soon sorted.
Funny thing is. He does the opposite commute to me. He works in Orpington and lives in Deptford. I live in Orpington and work in Deptford. He has seen me a few times he said.

Today's commute weather wise was much better, not too cold and a bit of blue sky. Bumping into two other fellow A21 cycle commuters who I've made friends with over the years. I usually see them separately but found out they both live on the same road.

Good ride in.

No idea. Tyre has been on 18 months. It's a lifeline commuter and has been really reliable until the side wall has let go near the bead, badly. Nothing rubbing. I'll bin the rear tonight and go back to Landcruisers

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
That's busted. No wonder I went down. Damage is just a sore wrist and a hole in my glove, graze on elbow. Bike, gouged Ergon grip (to match the other side), chunks out of the wheel rim edge and a scuffed brake lever.

New Schwalbe Land Cruiser fitted and I was on my way in 10 minutes. Shop offered to help but said I had everything other than a tyre. Thanks to the two riders who stopped but when I said the tyre was too badly ripped to even boot it, they wished me well.

Got to my desk just an hour late.

View attachment 747698

Ouch !

fossyant

Oh no, the soup got it, and a couple of bruises on the apple. Didn't bring a banana, phew. :laugh:
20241003_105552.jpg

fossyant

Will's is a good shop.

Lovely autumnal riding for me.

Bailed me out twice now.

I grew up with Will (in the biking terms) - He started out working at Marple Cycle Sport, which our club was associated with, then he bought the current shop he's in now (used to be Bardsley's Cycles), and has been in there since. I'm not that regular customer, but have bought a bike off him, and used to pop in for tubes etc when my commute passed that way. That said, been in twice in the last month, the only place that was selling decent canti brake pads for my CX bike, after discovering one of the 'carriers' was about to fall to bits, and again this morning.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
That's busted. No wonder I went down. Damage is just a sore wrist and a hole in my glove, graze on elbow. Bike, gouged Ergon grip (to match the other side), chunks out of the wheel rim edge and a scuffed brake lever.

New Schwalbe Land Cruiser fitted and I was on my way in 10 minutes. Shop offered to help but said I had everything other than a tyre. Thanks to the two riders who stopped but when I said the tyre was too badly ripped to even boot it, they wished me well.

View attachment 747698

Hope you are ok and bike is fine

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Totally different commute this afternoon and even better on the old Elswick. Worsley woods and along the Bridgewater canal
IMG_8823.jpeg

IMG_8845.jpeg

IMG_8849.jpeg

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD

View attachment 747698

Wow ! Glad to hear you survived ‘ok’ 😳

cyberknight

Even chillier this morning , hands were cold and it took me about 7 miles to warm up with some cold fog in places .Coming home it was sunny so the legs were out but that wind is still cool .
The commuter bike is creaking / clanking even worse now than before and i am in half a mind just to flog it and see what i can find second hand to replace it as tbh apart from the cable discs being ok in the wet they are rubbish compared to any rim brake bike i have ever owned , its had 2 back wheels in 4 years and it might be the back wheel thats the issue again .Warped discs are a regular feature and the chainrings wear pretty quick .
I am of a mind its going to cost a load to get it fixed .

biking_fox

Guru
Good ride in today, missed the rain and both the annoying junctions (for those who know manchester - double mini roundabouts at the bottom of Birchingfield road, and tuning towards my building at the top of Upper Brook st), were easy. The latter especially so as the lights were out and 3 cars were staring at each other and then all waited for me to sail through with a cheery wave for a another foot free commute, just one trackstand on the whole ride.

cyberknight

Using the old boardman alloy now and it was about 1.5 mph faster so something is definitely up with the usual bike.Forecast heavy rain around midnight so looks like I'm getting wet

Top Bottom