Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
back in the saddle and for once a quiet journey in looking at skys its going to be a wet journey back never bothered to much by that just hope I dont get the strong winds from last night on way back.

biking_fox

Guru
Luckily I had Monday at home. So despite cleaning the bike over the weekend I didn't have to ride in the rain.... just a few spots today and very wet roads from what feels like 24hr continuous.

simongt

Guru
On the way to see my sister, nearly side swiped by a twat in a car who suddenly pulled out from a row of parked cars on my right without indicating and giving very little room for manoeuvre. :cursing:
Seems to be common practise now. :dry:

• Sad
Reactions: C R

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Back on the bike again :smile:
Set off this morning as it was damp but not heavy rain so i chanced it trying to dodge the floods although some roads had standing water all the way across the road in sections and by the time i got to work it was starting to come down properly which lasted the rest of the day .
Grrr ! i thought im goign to get nice and wet goign home but luckily the rain stopped maybe half an hour before i finished so i stayed dry .

We had a reorganisation thing at work which meant we had to be later. I usually go by the pedestrianised Bridge Street to the station before the cycling ban but because I was later I had to go by the cycle ways that avoid the town centre instead. Typically p'tured in doing so 🙄 After the train I changed it and set off taking a bit higher ground to avoid the floods. I didn't want to go stupidly out of my way though and took NCN12. I would have been better going stupidly out of my way most of it was Bridleway. At least it was dry, well so I thought, so I came back that way at night. At night however, it was flooded quite a bit. Whereas on road I can usually pick a line and freewheel through a flood, with the greater chance of hitting something or slipping on 23/25mm tyres off road I opted to wade through instead!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Zee Rain has stopped. Bit windy this am, but it was drying the tracks and roads out nicely. Oh, and quite dark as I left the house at 7am. You notice after a weekend off (or in my case 5 days of not commuting).

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
3 rainy commutes in a row. Yesterday it rained all day here in the SE. By the time I had left the office for home the rain was really heavy which made for a grim ride. Drowned rat is the expression used by the time I had got home. My waterproof jacket proving to be ineffective to the downpour. Subsequently washed and reproofed last night ready for this mornings rainy ride.

So, rainy commutes # 32, 33 & 34
Same period last year 32 rainy commutes

Oh and it's looking like rain for the ride home later.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Raining this morning and into the wind all the way , average speed 2 mph slower than yesterday.
Still dodging flooded sections which will take a while to clear as the run off from the sodden fields will take a look Ng time to dry.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Roe Green Loop Line towards Tyldesley was interesting on Monday 😆😆
IMG_8802.jpeg

IMG_8811.jpeg

IMG_8810.jpeg

last day of cycling this week and the best by far little bit chilly but then it is October, buses up to their usual tricks this morning stick signal on pull look after you have pulled out, could tell had enough this morning didnt even have a go at the driver in the words of Frozen Let It Go.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Commute started out well. Part way down the loop, I slowed to let a bike pass a pedestrian, pulled round carried on and boom, I'm on the floor. Felt like a gear had slipped, but nope front tyre flat. Ripped both sides. Darn it.

Pushed two miles to Wills Wheels and just awaiting him to open at 8.30

Sounds rubbish, hope you get it sorted asap.

I had errands to do today before heading to he local office so took the new errand bike. Dahon Vitesse D8 bargain from FB.

PXL_20241003_071242021.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That's busted. No wonder I went down. Damage is just a sore wrist and a hole in my glove, graze on elbow. Bike, gouged Ergon grip (to match the other side), chunks out of the wheel rim edge and a scuffed brake lever.

New Schwalbe Land Cruiser fitted and I was on my way in 10 minutes. Shop offered to help but said I had everything other than a tyre. Thanks to the two riders who stopped but when I said the tyre was too badly ripped to even boot it, they wished me well.

Got to my desk just an hour late.

20241003_083051.jpg

Top Bottom