Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Revised route is definitely quicker despite vehicular traffic as there is less slowing for other 'shared space' users. Just need a tweak for the morning for about 200 yards near the Grammar School, as even at 8am the standard of manic driving is high. My old route bypassed behind the school and crossed the main road further down.

Last night was fun burning off a petrol scooter from two sets of lights. Name on the side was 'Blaze' - oh I laughed. I burned it off as it was so slow, I wasn't hanging about for it.

skys opened this morning and all the cockwombles were out in full force. Coming the hill (not at full pelt due to rain) absloute twonk decides his turning right and does it (lucky to be hear) a few mm less and wouldnt be here. I should have followed the prick down the road.

Last edited:

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
They are Altura Attack which is not current range in helpfully, I got them brand new from vinted for £18. Plenty of adjustment to get the fit right too.

I have an Altura Attack jacket which is very good so in combo they will hopefully be perfect. I do look a bit like a just eat rider as the jacket is orangey.
Revised route is definitely quicker despite vehicular traffic as there is less slowing for other 'shared space' users. Just need a tweak for the morning for about 200 yards near the Grammar School, as even at 8am the standard of manic driving is high. My old route bypassed behind the school and crossed the main road further down.

Last night was fun burning off a petrol scooter from two sets of lights. Name on the side was 'Blaze' - oh I laughed. I burned it off as it was so slow, I wasn't hanging about for it.

Which school do you have issues at. I used to find the area around the toast rack particularly problematic having the two private schools next to it.

straas

Matt
They are Altura Attack which is not current range in helpfully, I got them brand new from vinted for £18. Plenty of adjustment to get the fit right too.

I have an Altura Attack jacket which is very good so in combo they will hopefully be perfect. I do look a bit like a just eat rider as the jacket is orangey.

Which school do you have issues at. I used to find the area around the toast rack particularly problematic having the two private schools next to it.

Both schools there are awful but I actually find the girls school worse, possibly because it's harder to get in to the side road?

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
2 close passes within 90 seconds today, the first just CBA to turn the steering wheel and the second CBA to time her overtake to avoid a pedestrian refuge pinch point. Both easily reported and will probably get a warning letter (whoop whoop but it's better than nothing and I have seen them improve driver behaviour tbf).

templehead

On my way to work in the car this morning, when I encounter three cyclists trundling along. We're on a twistly bit of road out in the sticks so I sit tight and wait for a straight. Lead rider gestures at me to overtake, I ignore him as I won't overtake until I can see it's OK, which is just as well as a driving school car appears on the same bit of road I'd have been on had I tried to pass them.

I'd already filed lead rider under 'Dickhead' when he starts gesturing for me to pass again, rather animatedly this time. It's still not safe, so I ignore him again and pass them about 30 seconds later on the first available straight bit. Dickhead shakes his fist at me as I pass.

What is it with some people?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
On my way to work in the car this morning, when I encounter three cyclists trundling along. We're on a twistly bit of road out in the sticks so I sit tight and wait for a straight. Lead rider gestures at me to overtake, I ignore him as I won't overtake until I can see it's OK, which is just as well as a driving school car appears on the same bit of road I'd have been on had I tried to pass them.

I'd already filed lead rider under 'Dickhead' when he starts gesturing for me to pass again, rather animatedly this time. It's still not safe, so I ignore him again and pass them about 30 seconds later on the first available straight bit. Dickhead shakes his fist at me as I pass.

What is it with some people?

Correct thing to do. I hate it when cyclists wave on either a car or other cyclists.
I was on a ride many moons ago where the lead cyclist waved a car to pass with the result of another car appearing and the overtaking car having to brake. Words were said.

Reactions: C R

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
More edge-of-seat updates from the front line..

Last night's journey brought welcome respite from the drudgery, insecurity and underachievement of the office; so I pushed the ride out a bit through Kennington - keen to make use of what's left as the weather sours and nights draw in.

Unfortunately once out the other end and attempting to negotiate the underpass to the Abingdon road, I was greeted by this:

IMG_20240924_173705.jpg

Unenthused by the prospect of either retracing my route or attempting to drag the bike over four carriageways of rush hour traffic I braved it; to find the water was about crank-level deep at its worst; emerging on the other side with absolutely saturated feet..

Further into town I had to brake to avoid hitting a bus that pulled out in front of me on the high street; only to stop a few hundred yards down the road - the driver's open window giving me ample opportunity to voice my lack of appreciation.

No rings tonight as I'm still getting over illness (Covid?), felt exhausted, while in any case the park is flooded - playing host to a family of marooned bins huddling together for warmth on their impromptu island..

IMG_20240924_180000.jpg

The tow path brought more trimming and with it the day's first and only dose of calm and inner peace.. can't put my finger on it but stopping to "smell the roses" (butcher the brambles) somehow seems to enforce a rare state of mindfulness and tranqulity on my otherwise hectic brain.

While I think the brambles' rate of growth is now slowing as we enter the autumn, I've started trimming back the once-fruit-laden bits projecting onto the path since nearly all of the blackberries are over now... remaining mindful of the many spiders choosing to inhabit these outcrops.

The canal was still high with water passing over some of the locks, however I think not to the same extent as in the morning..

IMG_20240924_182918.jpg

Lots of nice interactions again with others on the tow path, including a very friendly and unsolicited "hi" from an attractive jogger, an incongruous "good morning" from a German-sounding chap on a bike and a compliment on the Brompton from a fellow cyclist as I was trimming at the Yarnton end :smile:

Did find that for the second time I'd mashed a sodding dog egg into the LH (folding) pedal, which was pleasant to deal with :sad:

This morning's car stage was marred by being tailgated by some vacuous bellend in an X5 for much of it, then spending an additional 10-15 minutes waiting in traffic in Yarnton as it was backed up from Peartree again. Once out on the bike there was a bit of a chill with some drizzle, no sausages thanks to the delay but as usual infinitely less horrible than being in the car.

Forecast seems squiffy for the way home - fingers' crossed I don't get drenched..

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Whalley Range High and William Hulme Grammar / Wibraham Rd area.

Top Bottom