Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Very wet. A rare 'cape day'. Kept my feet dry-ish.

Disk brakes noisy. I can replicate the sound of the two-tone horns of cars following Le Tour in the 80s with alternate lever squeezes.

Is there some way I could tune them to a minor third or something?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Just texted a work mate who lives up the road asking for a lift for this afternoon as our car is in for its repairs today and looks like its going to be dire all day .I know the lanes will be flooded anyway even if it stops so im not risking it .
Back up plan is another work mate who is close enough that i can walk 5 mins up to the main road for a lift .

biking_fox

Guru
The forecast as all above had noted was absolutely grim, downpours all day. But looked out kitchen window and miraculously didn't seem terrible. Prepared full gloves and overlegs. Still looking ok. Rode in the normal 6m route, 26min no rain apart from an odd drop here or there. More sweaty than wet.

Felt quite lucky.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
As above. Forecast was grim. The rain beat down heavy most of the night on and off. But by the time I rode of to work it had abated to just a bit of drizzle. The roads were flooded in places and a lot of tree mulch to contend with on the back roads.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Very wet in South Glos today. Opted for Altura night vision red waterproof with hi-vis gilet over it, and sealskinz waterproof socks together with stretchy shoe covers which made for comfortable dry feet. Lady driving along texting, no hands on the wheel, saw me there alongside but carried on with her attention on her phone, so that will be sent in.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
My lift is all sorted and as said above it doesnt look to bad atm , given the predicted weather its not worth the risk especially coming home on lates if i had to wear wet kit coming home dodging floods by bike light.
You can guarantee if i risked it i would get a mechanical and get soaked ;)

Last edited:
got up still raining, starting regret decision of buying new white cycling shoes :smile:. Stuck with old ones today they could have walked to the bin on their own. Despite the total of five lights on front and three on the back and hi-viz jacket it seems I am invisible to other road users all lights flashing I might as well not exist. Managed to miss the rain, Got to work boiled in the bag thanks to new hi-viz. Who needs bin liners to loose weight just wear hi-viz

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
New revised route is OK, except a section near the Grammar school - some wild driving going on, u-turns in the middle of an A road, mum drifting into the cycle lane at 15 mph as she couldn't decide which pavement she was mounting - I overtook in the cycle lane, and then she went right onto the opposite pavement. Then, slowed because a dad was doing a u-turn - there are lots of side roads where you could drive round 'the block'. It's a busy A road. Might see if there is a way of avoiding this, but it's right after I cross a big dual carriageway.

Top Bottom