Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Quite glad I was on 'the tank' TBH, smashed the MTB they threw at me out of the way. It's been a trusty bike over 35 years and get's well looked after. Did Snowdon, dented cars, and now got me through bike jackers. All hail the old cro-mo 90's MTB - fabulously versatile bikes of bikes. Not fast, nor light, but tough !

Unfortunately your experience is exactly the reason I don't use the Loop after a slightly less dramatic but similar attempt.

Hope your feeling OK about it this morning.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Unfortunately your experience is exactly the reason I don't use the Loop after a slightly less dramatic but similar attempt.

Hope your feeling OK about it this morning.

Not too bad, used the Floop from Reddish to Fallowfield this morning, then diverted down Wilbraham Road, which seems acceptable - wide with a cycle lane. Will probably now use it on the way home up to the A6 where I normally get on after the loop.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Muggy weather this morning. Warm weather is dragging our here in the SE.
Quite a nice commute this morning, traffic not so busy for some reason and they behaved nicely for a change. A nice bit of SCR too which made for a very pleasant ride in.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Overcast and windy this morning for an unusual Thursday ride in; really feeling the cumulative toll of the growing sleep deficit and sliding back towards the previous week's manflu I thought I'd conquored in record time.

Still a pleasant ride though, after a groggy start found myself enjoying it after a while with a bit of a smile which was reciprocated by an unprecidented number of ladies on the way in - I think they must like my (admittedly flattering) zippy DHB base-layer as much as I do (and perhaps the fact I managed a shave recently).

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Overcast and windy this morning for an unusual Thursday ride in; really feeling the cumulative toll of the growing sleep deficit and sliding back towards the previous week's manflu I thought I'd conquored in record time.

Still a pleasant ride though, after a groggy start found myself enjoying it after a while with a bit of a smile which was reciprocated by an unprecidented number of ladies on the way in - I think they must like my (admittedly flattering) zippy DHB base-layer as much as I do (and perhaps the fact I managed a shave recently).

I often read this thread, it’s an interesting and fascinating insight into folks routines.

I take a particular interest in your journey because it’s often detailed and the photos are usually good.

I ask, merely out of curiosity, would it be practical to ride your entire journey and not use the car at all? I don’t know how long your journey is.

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I often read this thread, it’s an interesting and fascinating insight into folks routines.

I take a particular interest in your journey because it’s often detailed and the photos are usually good.

I ask, merely out of curiosity, would be practical to ride your entire journey and not use the car at all? I don’t know how long your journey is.

Thanks - some might say painfully detailed :tongue:

I've done Oxford-home various times in the past and did the pseudo-full commute on the tourer on a day off last month, however realistically it's too much to do regularly.

The current setup means up at 7, 13 miles in the car then 8 on the bike for ballpark 1:15hrs travel time. If I did the whole journey on the bike it'd be 25 miles / over two hours so maybe a 6 O'clock start. While my fitness has improved and I'm keen to save more money on fuel the current setup has me near-destroyed by the end of the working week; so tripling the mileage / time on the bike would be ruinous..

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Thanks - some might say painfully detailed :tongue:

I've done Oxford-home various times in the past and did the pseudo-full commute on the tourer on a day off last month, however realistically it's too much to do regularly.

The current setup means up at 7, 13 miles in the car then 8 on the bike for ballpark 1:15hrs travel time. If I did the whole journey on the bike it'd be 25 miles / over two hours so maybe a 6 O'clock start. While my fitness has improved and I'm keen to save more money on fuel the current setup has me near-destroyed by the end of the working week; so tripling the mileage / time on the bike would be ruinous..

Yes, I see that’s a bit much.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Remarkable how people feel it's acceptable to make comments like this.

It makes me quite irate. Had a couple of Germans do it to us on the tandem recently.

I mean. really? You've just passed a couple of people on a cycle track on a fully laden tandem and the only communication you want to have with them is to berate them about their headgear? WTAF??

After long consideration I've decided the best response is "Just fark off" and a middle finger.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Unfortunately, I'm not surprised. I've had Germans attempt to lecture me on this, too, on one occasion while riding with their arms folded.

Similar happens to me in NL, particularly in rural areas, and not about helmets, but about anything else.

Too fast, too slow, too slow away from the lights, wrong kind of bike, being a bloody buitenlander. Never with any real anger or hostility, just grumbling.

Mostly i forget I speak Dutch. Sometimes I reply in Dutch when I think it will confuse them.

Top Bottom