Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
First cycle commute for a LOOOOOONG time. And likewise posting on here!

I ditched the bike for walking everywhere a few years back, then COVID took over and long working hours throughout that, took me back into the car trap.
A recent forced house move and a steep hill, and with the driving route to work one that is crazily congested, it made sense to kickstart active transport by removing the bar of the steep hill. So I've joined the e-bike "cheaters", fitting a kit to the tatty old hybrid, and I don't care - that ride to work was a LOT nicer than trudging along a busy noisy urban road, cramming onto a cattle wagon tram, or sitting burning fuel pointlessly as part of a traffic jam.

Nothing cheating about an ebike unless you are in an actual race. I got one recently and it does change the mindeset.

All uphill

Still rolling along
First cycle commute for a LOOOOOONG time. And likewise posting on here!

I ditched the bike for walking everywhere a few years back, then COVID took over and long working hours throughout that, took me back into the car trap.
A recent forced house move and a steep hill, and with the driving route to work one that is crazily congested, it made sense to kickstart active transport by removing the bar of the steep hill. So I've joined the e-bike "cheaters", fitting a kit to the tatty old hybrid, and I don't care - that ride to work was a LOT nicer than trudging along a busy noisy urban road, cramming onto a cattle wagon tram, or sitting burning fuel pointlessly as part of a traffic jam.

Great decision, I hope you enjoy the cycle commute.

Now just another 2,000,000 car drivers to go. :laugh:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Parking is getting busy

20240917_132047.jpg

simongt

Guru
Negotiating a roundabout to take the R/H exit, in the correct lane and indicating, had a close call with an HGV who'd misjudged my speed. :eek:
However, the driver quickly realised his error and indicated his apology to me. :okay:
What nice man - ! ^_^

Great decision, I hope you enjoy the cycle commute.

Now just another 2,000,000 car drivers to go. :laugh:

Needs more road closures, bus gates etc! I have to admit, even as someone who, 10 or so years ago, enjoyed getting up early and turning a 4-mile commute into a 24 miler out to Bamford and Ladybower, now having moved near a more congested road it was the thought of pulling out of my street into a queue to join another queue to join a 3 lane queue to join a ring road queue every morning, got me first onto the tram; students returning and packing out the tram made me dust off and upgrade the bike.

Turned PAS off this morning for 2/3 of the way though, my intent is not to become reliant, just to stop the hill being a bar to getting back onto 2 wheels. The "acoustic" CX is hanging in the cellar waiting for me to get a bit of fitness back

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
As i left work i ran over a stick that twisted up catching the pannier bag and ripping the strap that holds the bottom of the bag from swaying about , tried to tie it together but it was knackered so had to ride home gently so i didnt shake the bag about .Bike making a creaking noise when i pedal that i thought initially was the brakes rubbing but it isnt as the noise stops when i freewheel .I am going to try pulling the BB and grease it as well as the seatpost .

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
This week's fantastic weather has so far brought welcome respite from the looming spectre of winter.

Mornings have been a shade chilly but bright with helpings of etherial mist.. On the whole it's been a joy to be out and a constant reminder of how lucky I am to be able to do most of the journey on the tow path - surrounded by peace, greenery, wildlife and decent folk. A very welcome escape from the rest of the world and it's shitty inhabitants as it all rightfully slides into the abyss..

I've come to realise that I'm perhaps at my most content on the last stretch of the way home; a few miles on the bike and usually some time on the rings, trimming and pleasant, casual interactions with decent people bringing an unfamiliar and very welcome sense of calm.

This morning's ride was made by a particularly nonchalant heron that emerged from the riverbank infront of my and hung around long enough for me to get some photos; before casually flying around to end up behind me as I tried to pass.

IMG_20240917_081346.jpg

IMG_20240917_081436.jpg

IMG_20240917_081735.jpg

IMG_20240917_082154.jpg

:smile:

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
WFH today but needed to pop to the townhall at lunch. Rode down on the Super Galaxy, it's only 5 mins away, forgotten how lovely that bike is. Made an error in taking the wrong key for the dlock I took. Fortunately I do have access to the bike store, wandered round for 5 mins trying to remember where it was in the big underground carpark and had to ask for help.

Anyway popped it in there unlocked amongst lots of other bikes and it was still there 45 mins later.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Another nice ride in today; overcast but warm and dry.

I got caught in a little traffic at Yarnton as it was backed up off the Peartree maybe half a mile ahead. After a couple of minutes reluctantly partaking in this self-defeating twattery I parked, wrestled to unfurl the bike and was on my way; smugly sailing past all the miserable tin-box muppets including the one I'd been behind prior to turning off to park - who'd made it about half way at this point.

Having awoken early again I'd arrived in good time and meandered in with the usual pleasant, casual interactions with a few folk. Stopped at the monkey bars for the obligatory tortured two chin ups, a dead hang and this time tried a bit of awkward swinging from one bar to the other; much to the protestation of my calloused hands.

Having stopped for sausages in the covered market it was on to the tow path; pausing to trim a few pockets of hanging brambles. This elicted a bit of encouragement from passing cyclists, while I also got a big smile from a young hottie on an old steel road bike coming the other way :blush:

I wonder how much more obviously pleasant the world would be if everyone enjoyed such an enjoyable commute as opposed to slowly killing themselves and everything around them in pursuit of the worthless paper and pointless trinkets...

Top Bottom