Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Had Marathon Plus for most of my bikes and never had any issues with them, 1st time having the land cruiser. Agree with what you say capable on the muddy/root sections on the Pennine Trail I use

My Lifeline Commuter tyres have dumped me on the ground twice - my fault for hitting a bit of wet grass. Advantage is they roll well for a heavily puncture protected tyre, but no grip at all on mud. Most of my route is tarmac and gravel. I've a small section on my route home that I can't ride now the ground has turned to a bog - the Land Cruisers would handle it.

biking_fox

Guru
Found my rear light in pieces on the garage floor this morning... very weird it had been fine over the weekend. Batteries (AAA in a cateye) had leaked, and didn't work. Re-assembled with new batteries and all ok and bright. I wonder if the batteries had shorted in the damp/rain and degassed enough to pop the seals. We'll see how it goes this evening, I do have a spare if needed.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
More lights fun for me too:

Helmet mounted light not on helmet this morning, which wasn't on its normal shelf either. I did a ride yesterday in the light, but surely I'd have noticed if it wasn't there? Recalled banging the helmet on the garage door when I got in. Must have knocked it off and not realised? Searched the garage. Searched the driveway. Searched the utility room where the helmet lives. No luck. Mentioned it to Mrs T - she said she'd picked up the helmet off the floor of the utility and by the way why am I such a feckless selfish git as to leave my stuff on the floor (I paraphrase)? I thank Mrs T and mention politely (naturally) in passing that I would never leave my helmet on the floor, so it must have fallen off the high shelf where I keep it and doubtless lost the light in the fall. Go back and search the floor, under the appliances, beneath the tarp Mrs T helpfully left there to dry, no luck. Just before giving up get a stool to check the high shelf and there it is! Must have been half knocked out of it's mount with the bang on the door, then fully fallen out later on the shelf, which dislodged the helmet off the shelf, making it fall. Such fun!

Alex321

Guru
I thank Mrs T and mention politely (naturally) in passing that I would never leave my helmet on the floor, so it must have fallen off the high shelf where I keep it and doubtless lost the light in the fall. Go back and search the floor, under the appliances, beneath the tarp Mrs T helpfully left there to dry, no luck. Just before giving up get a stool to check the high shelf and there it is! Must have been half knocked out of it's mount with the bang on the door, then fully fallen out later on the shelf, which dislodged the helmet off the shelf, making it fall. Such fun!

Time for a new helmet?

Always recommended to replace after a crash where it gets banged, and I suspoect falling from a high shelf onto a hard floor is just as likely to damage it :sad:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Time for a new helmet?

Always recommended to replace after a crash where it gets banged, and I suspoect falling from a high shelf onto a hard floor is just as likely to damage it :sad:

Nah, they only weigh a few grams, a fall is far less impactful than any crash. Bashing it on the garage door while wearing it must have been far the bigger risk, and being 6'4" it'll not be the last time I do that.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
cold wind driven rain, more floods and drivers still doing very close passes , tis the season to be numpties

Sorry to hear that chap.

We haven't got rain forecast until at least Wednesday.
As for the close passing drivers, well, less said about that, the better but don't let it get you down too much.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Sorry to hear that chap.

We haven't got rain forecast until at least Wednesday.
As for the close passing drivers, well, less said about that, the better but don't let it get you down too much.

stress relief when i give them a gob-full :smile:

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
Dry commute to work today apart from odd stretches of standing water, passed one cyclist and 2 dog walkers so very quiet. Some good work been done on a usually muddy section passing through Wombwell. They've dug and cleared all the run off/mud from off roaders that was covering the path and built a bank on the bottom of the slope 👍
IMG_20231107_093256.jpg

Dadam

Über Member
Dry this morning apart from a few spots just as I got to work. Very happy to be on the bike this morning; for some reason traffic queues were terrible again, queueing all the way down the hill, along the ring road then along Elland Road.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Lovely sunny blue skies this morning. Still not too cold. hovering above 10° at 7.30am. For some reason, the traffic was very light. Compared to yesterday's commute where it seemed to be backed up everywhere.

Top Bottom