Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Avoided the rain on the way home, started as I hit our housing estate.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Had light rain this morning, nothing too heavy. Not cold either which is a blessing.
Though feck.. what is it with Tesla drivers? They have shot up to the top of my hateful drivers list in such a short amount of time. Taking over from those crappy Prius and black cabbies. They seem to drive as if they are so self entitled. One beeped me as I decided to have the cheek to over take him and sit in front of him in an ASL. He then did the very expected very fast, close overtake to only get another couple of hundred yards. He got the finger for his troubles. Another decided he should slowly pull out of a side road as I was passing. Just fekking don't. He got the stare of death. I won't be intimidated by anyone.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Had light rain this morning, nothing too heavy. Not cold either which is a blessing.
Though feck.. what is it with Tesla drivers? They have shot up to the top of my hateful drivers list in such a short amount of time. Taking over from those crappy Prius and black cabbies. They seem to drive as if they are so self entitled. One beeped me as I decided to have the cheek to over take him and sit in front of him in an ASL. He then did the very expected very fast, close overtake to only get another couple of hundred yards. He got the finger for his troubles. Another decided he should slowly pull out of a side road as I was passing. Just fekking don't. He got the stare of death. I won't be intimidated by anyone.

Unfortunately, it's the same drivers who were in Audi, BMW and Merc company cars a couple of years ago - BIK charges are much lower for leccy cars. Apparently 4 in 5 leccy cars are company cars, or salary sacrifice. Not many are actually owned, or on personal lease - probably none actually owned.

Alex321

Guru
Unfortunately, it's the same drivers who were in Audi, BMW and Merc company cars a couple of years ago - BIK charges are much lower for leccy cars. Apparently 4 in 5 leccy cars are company cars, or salary sacrifice. Not many are actually owned, or on personal lease - probably none actually owned.

Definitely some are actually owned. One of the guys in my Morris and his wife team have two - a Nissan Leaf and a Hyundai, certainly not company cars, since both are retired a good many years ago. They could be on personal leases, but knowing him, that seems unlikely.

On topic, much warmer commute this morning than I expected. I had switched to long sleeved jersey and put on the leg warmers, then the temperature never got below 11C - I would have been fine with the short sleeved jersey (with arm wrmers) and bare legs. Light rain for part of the ride, and there had obviously been heavy rain overnight, as there was a lot of standing water on the roads in places.

Alex321

Guru
On topic, much warmer commute this morning than I expected. I had switched to long sleeved jersey and put on the leg warmers, then the temperature never got below 11C - I would have been fine with the short sleeved jersey (with arm wrmers) and bare legs. Light rain for part of the ride, and there had obviously been heavy rain overnight, as there was a lot of standing water on the roads in places.

This evening, however, I was very glad I had the long sleeve jersey and leg warmers. Temperature never above 9C, down to 6/7 for much of the ride, and down to 4 for the last couple of miles.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
In the morning I ride five miles north then five miles south. Yesterday it was dry going north and wet going south. Today I had the rain as I headed north.

My Galibier mistral needs a new coating with a DWR spray from Nikwax. It soaks up the water rather than shedding it and then I get cold.

On another note, my son is getting very hacked off with bad driving on his commute.

He's filming & reporting close passes but there seems to be no end to them.

Yesterday he had to slap on the side of a car to fend it off from closing in on him due to oncoming traffic. It's in the last mile before home, where there's more traffic than usual due to road closures. So if he hops in his car he's stuck in the traffic.

I'm going to adjust my route home to ride the same roads as him - if there are 2 of us reporting these dullards then it may make a difference.

Not really a commute as I was working from home. In the morning I dropped of the car for a MOT. It was fast and busy traffic but moving. The density I thought was going to be a pain probably forcing me onto the shared cycleway with the school kids. But after I dropped the car off, around 8.30 am, the traffic seemed to disappear.

Got the call to collect it at 4PM and the traffic was a standstill most of the way but it was the right density and the bike scooted round most of it. Most folks in cars realised the futility of overtaking a bike and never. Except one driver, who must have been very pleased they managed to overtake in that limited space before another queue. It was also the first I have had in a long time who after being stationery moved to the left to make sure I couldn't undertake. Lol, they obviously don't know how things work and that just left more space on the right for me to over take. They probably got caught in the next set of traffic lights too (I got them green) and it was a mile or so and I was in a village before they managed to overtake me again into the back of another queue. This time the road was narrower at the approach to a mini roundabout, so I had to wait. I must admit, I was tempted to go on the wrong side of the traffic island as I was turning right. Coincidentally the drive back was a lot slower than the cycle there 😂

Top Bottom