Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Dare say I'm going to have problems on the large entry to dual carriageway rbt on my new commute even pre 7am. As I slowed for a circulating car a driver following me ploughed on to the roundabout straight across in front of me to enter the dual carriageway. Which meant for me/traffic I was in the wrong lane (I wasn't actually its unmarked but for the balance of traffic/ road craft here its better to be in the outside lane to go straight onto a quieter road). Another driver following me took exception of me not turning 1st left on to the dual carriageway, beeeeeeep! 🙄

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Pleasant surprise yesterday as I was hacking up the last hill home approaching a queue,the bus driver behind me actually waited rather than trying to squeeze past with central reservation bollards up the hill it made a nice change compared to the usual must get past attitude

Dadam

Über Member
Last night was the first properly dark commute home. There was definitely a bit more adrenaline sloshing about the system, helps to keep wits sharp when filtering across 3 lanes! A constant and a flashing light front and back.

In contrast to the 3 delivery riders I saw dressed in black with no lights at all. I spoke to one at a cycle crossing on a bike with frying pan sized hub motor and battery gaffer taped to the rack; in a friendly tone "you need some lights mate". No response apart from a slight nod. Whether that was acceptance or passive aggressive dismissal I've no idea. I'm not sure risk mitigation is a concept these people are fully onboard with.

Last night was the first properly dark commute home. There was definitely a bit more adrenaline sloshing about the system, helps to keep wits sharp when filtering across 3 lanes! A constant and a flashing light front and back.

In contrast to the 3 delivery riders I saw dressed in black with no lights at all. I spoke to one at a cycle crossing on a bike with frying pan sized hub motor and battery gaffer taped to the rack; in a friendly tone "you need some lights mate". No response apart from a slight nod. Whether that was acceptance or passive aggressive dismissal I've no idea. I'm not sure risk mitigation is a concept these people are fully onboard with.

Its been moonlit darkness for my commute of late but tonight alternative the skies were clearish seemed properly dark. I have no problem with ninjas for most of my rural commute but when I get closer to civilisation there's lots of them. I was quite impressed with the reflective ankle hoops on tonight's ninja. His works H&S have went overboard which is a good thing as you couldn't see any of the rest of them.

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
Frosty this morning not sure what the temperature was? Foggy and misty round the River Dearne. Few cyclists out this morning wrapped up well!
IMG20231111064751.jpg

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
Night shift again tonight, cool on the way to work but no rain so that was a bonus. No end of people down the pennine trail with no lights, I don't know how they get to where there going it's pitch black in spots! See what the temperature drops down to for the ride home 🥶

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Might dig out my Agu cape if it's really bad (subject to a wind risk assessment before leaving)

I did dig my Agu cape out today. Heavy rain most of the way, mostly dry when I got to work, including feet. It's a bit annoying to ride in it- mainly because every time I move my hands I have to check the cape is still tucked behind the front light!

It's been so long since I last used it. I don't have a bike with a pannier rack any more- thankfully it fit right over my courier bag.

Last edited:

gzoom

Über Member
Rain hammering against the kitchen this morning, but the forecast was good, and by the time I'd finished my tea it was brightening and dry. Fun ride. Lots of leaves treacherously about though, sometimes hiding substantial puddles too.

I had to sit in the car and do the first meeting from outside the school gates as what was left of the storm passed over. By the time 9am came around, sun was out.....very windy though, very glad my commuter bike weighs 20kg+.

C R

Guru
Interesting article on the BBC website about emotorbike 'yoof':

e motorbikes in Bristol

Read down about their tactic for evading the cops...'Little alleyways, little lanes'....

GUESS which long 'lane' they use stretching from Bristol to Bath? :cursing:

And if they smash themselves into a lamp post then they were little treasures, the light of the community :cursing:

Top Bottom