Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Misty and quite chilly for the first half of the commute, then the sun broke through for the second half. It didn't take long after I'd got into work before the rain started again.

I really enjoyed the commute this morning. There's been no proper workouts for me this week as I’ve been sorting stuff, but when I got of the train for the commute it was a tad chilly in the mist so I spun to warm up after a couple of minutes I decided I’d keep it up for the duration into the light 4mph head wind and finish with an VO2max burst, making it a bit of a workout. Its usually a standstill in town with congestion but its half term so I lost little time for a change and the drivers I did meet on route were very polite.

I felt it tonight, the commuter bike with full mudguards and the lap top felt a right drag for the circa 5 mile climb out of town. Then I got the 4mph tail wind which had been a head wind and suddenly the legs came to life and I snagged a KOM. With a lighter bike and no laptop I’m sure someone will smash it
:smiley:

Screenshot_20231027-192844_Strava

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Timed it perfectly between the showers this morning. Some big puddles around the drains blocked with leaves. Not looking forward to the first dark ride home.

Missed it as WFH, but did notice it wasn't much lighter this morning given the weather. Thoroughly wet out there now. The dark ride home will be 'unwelcome' tomorrow. Don't mind so much in the morning, but feel extra tired in evenings.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Now that was a wet one. Flooded roads a-plenty. Not cold though. Looking worse later and tomorrow looks absolutely horrendous.
Oh well.. that's the way of a life long cycling commuter. Have to just get on with it.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
missed the last 2 days :sad:
Monday the whole fun with the elctrics meant i wasnt even sure if i was going to work but just made it in the car and then we got 2 and a half hours overtime .
Tuesday had to take mrs ck for hospital appointment then come back for the leccy to fit the new shower and then pick mrs ck up again .I was knackered from the overtime anyway.
In a way good as both nights it was raining and the lanes were flooded in places.

biking_fox

Guru
Damp one again - went back in for waterproofs. Dried up last five miles although everywhere is mucky with leaf mulch. Got bad pain in the back of my right lung today, so no speedy stuff - it's worse now I'm sat down.

Yeah unexpectedly wet early, but dry shortly afterwards and hopefully for the rest of the day - lots of leaves blocking drains and puddles. Slightly annoyed by drivers pulling into the segregated cycles lanes especially at junctions. What's the point of a cycle lane if they drive in it anyway.

fossyant

Yeah unexpectedly wet early, but dry shortly afterwards and hopefully for the rest of the day - lots of leaves blocking drains and puddles. Slightly annoyed by drivers pulling into the segregated cycles lanes especially at junctions. What's the point of a cycle lane if they drive in it anyway.

You should see the mandatory cycle lane on the A6 approaching Stockport - it's used by bus drivers to jump the traffic (it's not a bus lane) and some drivers.

You should see the mandatory cycle lane on the A6 approaching Stockport - it's used by bus drivers to jump the traffic (it's not a bus lane) and some drivers.

I was often amused by the way drivers then got upset when I cycled around the obstructions, honking their horns and gesticulating at the clearly obstructed cycle lanes...

fossyant

I'm coming to the conclusion that there are a lot of 'commuter cyclists' in my area that are in the office/work 3 days a week, or cycle to work 3 days.

On some main cycling routes, I'm constantly getting emails saying I'm local legend with around 36 or 37 rides along a segment in 90 days, but then get 'beat' again with someone with the same 36-37 rides. If someone was riding five days, then no-one would come near. Happens every week. Your the legend, nope it's now Billy, nope it's now you again. ! :laugh: Daren't have a day off now !

Top Bottom