Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not as long as last night - Took the bridgewater all the way to pennington flash, (lake) and then came back via the cheshire lanes. 39miles (if I'd looked earlier I'd have added the extra 1). Too far for a worknight even a special 'commute' but did replace my normal weds climbing session. Legs felt fine better than monday, but the treeroot sections getting out of manchester were slow.

I've only done Manchester down to Stretford, turned left at the spur !

fossyant

Bit muggy this morning, and dark as we'd had a sprinkle of rain.

The tree root section past Kellogg's is a daily pain. First time I did it I came off. Done it many times recently and learnt to take channel at the outer edge of the path near the grass verge/paving stone that borders the water which means I can maintain some speed. When it's wet though those sections get muddy and I usually then just accept the need to slow down and take the bumps head on. Shame they can't sort that out.

I just use it to connect to Roe Green Loop but carrying on on the canal is another ride to add to the to do list.

tinywheels

Über Member
hot as hell on the train home, lots of other cycles. Surprisingly the conductor did not blink an eye.

20230908_164000.jpg

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
First day in the office for nearly a month and I decided to take the Dawes and just make a little bit of a protest on the lack of bike storage but just taking it into the office and sticking it in a store room 😁.

Be interesting to see if it works.

On a plus point the ride was great both ways, I tried a slightly alternative route home which wasn't great but potentially just needs a tweak to be.

Need to stick fit new brake pads this weekend.

IMG_20230908_083825.jpg

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Lovely ride both ways today even though I rained, it was nice and warm, but not too warm .

I had a learning experience on the way home. I regularly pass slow moving traffic queuing to a roundabout, due to the way the cars position on the road I pass it on the left hand side of the traffic. I take this pretty steady and pay special attention when passing side roads. Today I was passing a car which as I drew level with it stuck its indicator on and moved off, fortunately I was aware and to be fair to the driver they spotted me after before they moved into my path.

Thinking about it after, in the same situation again I would have held back, lesson learnt.

fossyant

Wet one today. My waterproof pants have failed finally. Cheap Aldi ones. Could feel water leaking in over my knee and running down my let. This then stops the only purpose of waterproof trousers, to stop water going into the cuff of winter boots, or overshoes. Soggy shoes this morning.

Don't use the over trousers much, only heavy rain. So ordered some cheap Regatta ones ! I hate wet shoes, plus they can start to stink if not dried out fast.

biking_fox

Guru
Wet one today. My waterproof pants have failed finally. Cheap Aldi ones. Could feel water leaking in over my knee and running down my let. This then stops the only purpose of waterproof trousers, to stop water going into the cuff of winter boots, or overshoes. Soggy shoes this morning.

Don't use the over trousers much, only heavy rain. So ordered some cheap Regatta ones ! I hate wet shoes, plus they can start to stink if not dried out fast.
Very glad I've got a conference today and didn't ride in. Very soggy. Well done to those who persevered.

fossyant

Drying only partly done. Overshoes still damp (can't put them on radiator) and shoes still soggy. All because my waterproof pant's failed. I've binned them (can't complain they are years old) and a new set should be delivered tonight. Plus side, roads are dry.

Top Bottom