Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So @fossyant the Colnago world cup pictured is the fast one? Sometimes think about what I could get next and would need something that could handle the Bridgewater canal towpath year round (including past the Trafford centre bumpy bit) with some Marathon plus 32s ideally and full mudguards. Would that even work or would that take the joy out of it? Would want it to be effortlessly fast on the smoother surfaces.

Can see some on eBay but nothing from retailers...guess they discontinued? What did Colnago replace it with?

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
So @fossyant the Colnago world cup pictured is the fast one? Sometimes think about what I could get next and would need something that could handle the Bridgewater canal towpath year round (including past the Trafford centre bumpy bit) with some Marathon plus 32s ideally and full mudguards would that even work or would that take the joy out of it? Would want it to be effortlessly fast on the smoother surfaces.

Can see some on eBay but nothing from retailers...guess they discontinued? What did Colnago replace it with?

Yup, it's the fast one, but being a CX bike, it has no mounts for mudguards or anything, as it's a race bike. You will best look at a gravel bike that comes with mounts. I did the Peak, Ashton, Bridgewater and Trans Pennine Loop on it from Stockport into Manchester and back a few months ago - 30 odd miles. I got it as I've got spare wheels (rim brake) and with road tyres makes a good climber as my other two road bikes are old and only have a 39x26 bottom gear, this has 34 x 32. I'm going to get some clip on guards for winter use as my road bikes aren't suitable

fossyant

PS, new they were a good £1,500, I picked this up a few months ago for £330. Spent about £150 on new tyres, bottle cages, bar tape and cables, just 'because'. Original wheels came with road tyres that I kept, and put the knobblies on a spare set.

Colnago only did the World Cup alloy CX and the carbon Prestige - CX bikes aren't trendy now so stopped a few years back. It's all Gravel.

fossyant

Ah sure, going to need full mudguard and rack. It just sounded sweet how you described it and I am sure it is. Enjoy.

It's rapid for what I use it for - saves taking the full suspension out for tracks and canals - the commuter is an old MTB, but it's got slicks on it, and no good for mud. I have two road bikes too, but this fills a gap - crap tracks/canal and will do road without feeling slow.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Todays navigation hazard from escooterland:
20230831_074410.jpg

Nice of them to leave it in a busy cyclepath.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Absolutely pish wet through Tuesday afternoon,kit still wet the day after .2 sets if road works ATM too so massive tailbacks but no room to get around so sat there getting even wetter.gor home and the sun came out 😤

biking_fox

Guru
Been pleasant riding here in manchester all week. A little drizzle weds morning, but dodged anything else about. Sunny and warm this morning. Last night's bonus was more than 1 driver pulling wide to allow me to filter past!

Reactions: C R

Alex321

Guru
Warmer ride in this morning than it was on Wednesday, but definitely starting to feel autumnal.

Absolute dead calm this morning too, for a change, so quite a pleasant ride in.

fossyant

Nice ride in this morning - commuter fully working again after the freehub came loose a week or so ago. A few more bikes in the shelter this morning, but it's still covered in toxic soot - Estates aren't doing a good job. Car parking is mostly open now !

fossyant

Not quite as good a commute this morning. 9.8 miles were OK until a driver decided he was turning left when next to me at a junction just near work. I anticipated it as soon as the indicator came on (not a BMW), braked hard and shouted 'Oi'. The driver panicked and swerved back to miss the junction. He pulled up short of the next lights and apologised.

Top Bottom