Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
roadworks have closed the exit to the a 38 cycle path i use on late shift that i take to avoid the country lanes so i had to cycle back home along them last night .Good job a chap i work with told me ( hes a good bloke so he wouldnt wind me up )
Cant beat riding along in the pitch black at 2 am

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Wow that's warm. Pick the best speed to generate enough airflow without working too hard. Did the bonus 6mile long canal route last night very pleasant but very busy with walkers et al. No rush!

cant wait to cycle in the next 2 days , on lates so leave just after 1,30 pm so it a rad warm .Its ok when im riding but as soon as i stop i dripping with the bonus of coming home when its mid teens .

biking_fox

Guru
Which canal - Bridgewater ?
No Ashton. From city centre I can ride all the way up to just shy of Ashton itself, and then pick up the top of the Floop at Fairfield and ride all the way back down. Adds about 6 miles. I do also do the Bridgewater route some days instead, about the same distance as my normal route.

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
Finally back on the bike after a good couple of weeks off (Occupational Health putting their foot down!) Nightshift tonight quite a few on the Pennine Trail on the way in helped myself to a few blackberries and same again in the morning 😋

A bit of a chalk & cheese commutes from me but both were good.

In the morning I cycled the mile to the train station in a pea souper (just after listening to the weather forecast saying there was no fog :laugh: ) When I got of the train though I bimbled out of town then decided to start a 2x10 RPE threshold effort. Lol, I guessed that I wouldn't get the 2nd effort in before congestion and I was right. Given I was right I decided to VO2 max up the last hill before work that narrow enough that its easy to hold the lane and is rarely congested. There were some good PR' considering I was on a heavier bike carrying a ruck sack.

hIrYedXPdSMojujSGVGjKT5Sa9w718gQxqpTWy4E-1536x2048.jpg

1693947742709.png

Tonight was a complete bimble in glorious warm sunshine and when I got close to the train station I decided to randomly bimble some more.

1693947835350.png

I made it back before the Vampires, but only just!
rfD3RY3WwpybB1dk9mtxYOCbj0Z-iZTISUlGSMos-1536x2048.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Noisy freehub on way home last night - covered elsewhere but a fault on a used hub I bought some months ago for some 'period' 90's hubs that I built into new rims. Replaced with a spare freehub I'd ordered in. All working.

Just the right temperature this morning.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
What a lovely morning for a commute - almost perfect conditions and in before the school run started.

If all goes smoothly, I will ab able to put this part of CycleChat on ignore after 1st March.

Alex321

Guru
What a lovely morning for a commute - almost perfect conditions and in before the school run started.

It was a lovely morning. Had to take a slightly different route than usual, as there had been signs up saying one road I use would be closed for 3 days from Monday. Slightly to my surprise, it was less than 1/10 mile further, and just as fast an average speed, though 50ft more elevation.

If all goes smoothly, I will ab able to put this part of CycleChat on ignore after 1st March.

Change of job? Moving house? Retiring?

biking_fox

Guru
Really pleasant cycling this morning, still warm and fun. Even with the school traffic, roads weren't' too bad.

Contemplating another scenic ride home will have to see if I can find another different route

biking_fox

Guru
Long way round !!

Not as long as last night - Took the bridgewater all the way to pennington flash, (lake) and then came back via the cheshire lanes. 39miles (if I'd looked earlier I'd have added the extra 1). Too far for a worknight even a special 'commute' but did replace my normal weds climbing session. Legs felt fine better than monday, but the treeroot sections getting out of manchester were slow.

Top Bottom