Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tinywheels

Über Member
almost home

20230822_205839.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Only reason for the change in 'transport' was that I've broken the Diamond Back.

I was getting a few funny noises, the odd click on the last mile home. Checked and couldn't see anything loose, so put bike away. Getting it out this morning, I checked again and the rear wheel was loose. Looks like the freehub has come undone on the inside, or have a snapped axel. That's tonight's investigation. The cones felt smooth and 'tight' with no play, just the freehub body was wobbling.

Mad panic, how the heck do I get two panniers worth of 'junk' in a small rucksack. Clothes and shoes stuffed in, and out with the CX bike.

It's easily five minutes faster over the ten miles. Bit too fast for commuting - it was one reason I rode fixed in the past to reduce top end speed. Hope it doesn't rain as I'll get soaked.

Managed to bring it in to the office, no complaints from the two maintenance staff, who actually stopped to chat and 'check the weight out'. I explained I'd broken the other bike. One of the guys said, 'oh we don't allow black bikes in the office'. I said 'look there is a bit of white'. :laugh: They weren't bothered, even as one was out on the floor washing machine, cleaning the Italian stone floor ! I said I won't get the floor dirty.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
There was a thunderstorm this morning while I was getting ready for work, but it cleared just in time and turned out to be so localised that less than a mile down the road it was perfectly dry. Half a mile from the office another downpour caught me out instead.

biking_fox

Guru
Bit too fast for commuting - it was one reason I rode fixed in the past to reduce top end speed.

I'm not sure I understand? ! Faster is always better all other things being equal?

Not robust enough/weatherproof/valuable I fully understand, which often correlate to speed?

fossyant

I'm not sure I understand? ! Faster is always better all other things being equal?

Not robust enough/weatherproof/valuable I fully understand, which often correlate to speed?

It's the top end speed that's the issue. The MTB will do 20mph max with the fat tyres and weight on the flat. This is easily a lot faster, and way too easy to hit 25 on the Floop - I was passing everything this morning without trying. The MTB is like a nice smooth automatic, clicking up the gears as it slowly accelerates. The CX was like, boom, full speed. It's slower than the road bikes, but not much !

Can't leave it in the bike shed either as it 'stands out' - this is the cheap second hand bike I bought recently ! The three staff I bumped into thought 'that's a nice looking bike' - it's a bit 'loud' for a commuter - my other bike is gunmetal grey and doesn't stand out, even if it's covered in Shimano XT.

Spare hub ordered via ebay for £15, just in case there is a broken axel - I'll find out tonight.

fossyant

Loose freehub. Going to keep an eye on it as I locktighted it. Was a used hub off ebay when I built the wheels.

Top Bottom