Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I was a few minutes early for work this morning, so carried on to the end of the road that my office is on to have a quick look at the dredger working to deepen the approaches to Felixstowe Port before heading back down the road to work. There's a Strava segment for the return route which runs to the end of the road which means my segment time was...
1686861272457.png

Yes - that is 7 hours 20 minutes for a 0.6 mile segment :laugh:

This morning commute was on the gravel bike and was a bliss with the intention of exploring in the evening which I did (grabbed 10 more OS tiles for those into Veloviewer). The first bridleway bit was a bit more off road and less direct than I planned thanks to this:
aRGKYxl7qoBYE90kIK_0Z1KRiFXfsGrLYsSJ4ur4-1536x2048.jpg

After that was mainly enjoyable though. A bit annoyingly most of the bridleway en route have horses stepping gates (I don't know the proper name but they are annoying)
Oef_WwoJHHfDVK_U2ZyVS0duZxOfw-TCF9VTQ4bk-1536x2048.jpg

mFq1MYTjqCUPAMkUzAf-HGL03UqQXRf9PDI0KadU-1536x2048.jpg

jVmjJnrtvwNoans7gMhBlTMzvJhDR1TzIEkBCbcw-1536x2048.jpg

My YBF moment was a narrow overgrown bridle way. I didn't know at the time but it ran next to a horses field. He must have been sheltering from the sun behind the fence/hedge beside the bridleway. He gave me a bit of a fright and I took my eye of the overgrowth clipped my bars and fell into the overgrowth. Lol my right forearm and shin are a bit stingy now :laugh:

yOPyfzfHGxthAgSA2m9cYypYx2E91eeEf2H1kvM8-1536x2048.jpg

6BwnbGrgp8Lr8bTJATZUb_c_YhKKzvMRCzN9Zcdk-1536x2048.jpg

JlUmTSYK4hikrxLKbUX45h8KolDJdnhYV03nr0uI-1536x2048.jpg

g6jhi7ReGMX6Wh77g72XsAgJxBJZsUutuA_DMgKU-2048x1536.jpg

Xl5vX6ZRT7RYSRcW1a0VH2mXL71OMQxmNv2soOtU-1536x2048.jpg

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Another warmish one today. Threatened rain and thunder all the way home but just got a few drops. Had some really poor close passes today, 4 or 5 in one commute.

Brompton gears where playing up a little today so will have a look at them tomorrow.

biking_fox

Guru
The Sky has fallen in! The Sun is missing! The whole world is weeping in sorrow.

Yes it rained on my commute for the first time in a month or so! I'm sure the gardens and plants badly needed (even after the sporadic but violent thunder downpours), but I'd comfortably forgotten how grim it feels.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I haven't had rain on my cycle commute since the 18th of May and I'm not about to start having rain now.
I waited out until the huge thunderstorm passed over before heading to work. I usually head out at 7.30am but it wasn't until 8.20am that the storm and rain had passed. I got to work a sweaty mess due to the humidity but dry apart from my tootsies which are damp from the standing water.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The Sky has fallen in! The Sun is missing! The whole world is weeping in sorrow.

Yes it rained on my commute for the first time in a month or so! I'm sure the gardens and plants badly needed (even after the sporadic but violent thunder downpours), but I'd comfortably forgotten how grim it feels.

Just missed the rain - started just as I was nearing work.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Hissing down with rain in the night but the worst had passed when I left. I still used shoecovers & a light waterproof jacket as it was light rain, but it was refreshing.

One close pass reported from this morning and another from yesterday's way home. They get warning letters, according to some FOI information I've had, and behaviour does frequently change for the better when I see the same vehicles again.

A bit different the commutes today (with one similarity a strong headwind). This morning was a slow wet drag with the wind proof acting like a parachute.

At night my socks that had been hanging up were still soaked but I had got a text from my mate wanting a drink, so I put them on fast and bombed it up the road over 20mins faster than I was this morning. I'm sure folk could do it faster but with a headwind all the way and lugging a laptop, I'm shattered. Typically when I got to the station and the train was actually on time I looked at my phone which said, "I'll have to take a rain check. At least that had dried the socks out although the bibs and jersey were more than a wee bit wet with sweat.

8e5d8e66cbc12a82094ccc0138f38646593cf62f_2_243x500.jpg

I had to laugh when I got on the train. It was rather typical folk were sat in the bike space but the bloke who was sitting in the most awkward position for him got off at the next station and the comfy seats opposite with leg room were empty. I was thinking to sit in them but it'd mean I'd have to hold the bike. So I politely asked the guy if he'd move so I could tie my bike up, thinking he would go to those comfy seats just 1m away. He politely responded, yes of course I can move. Lol he moved to that small most awkward seat that was vacated and had a bike wheel directly on his other side and I ended up after tying my bike up with the velcro strap on the comfy seats opposite :laugh:

29131396c541b50f06873a25051b9217ab39e0c4_2_375x500.jpg

Twilkes

Guru
It's taken me a good three years to realise that, because I unclip at the bottom of the stroke and clip in at the top, I'm alternating which side of the pedal I'm using each time I clip in/out. Doesn't make much difference to much at all, but you learn something new every day.

Top Bottom