Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Too hot. Rolled into work this morning.

Lazy.... ^_^

Loving this weather, long may it continue after the really sheet winter/spring we've had this year

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
well the rain had stopped although the bushes at the side of the cyclepath as that overgrown and with the rain it forced me onto the dual carriageway the into oncoming traffic , couldnt avoid getting stung by the overgrown nettles either along with lorries parked right over the path too :sad:
Got home at 1.40 am so i was knackered after being up since 7.30 am
debating whether to ride back along the lanes tonight to avoid most of the bad path although it will be a similar time before i get home .
Edit
reported it to the council but i dont hold out much hope

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: C R

Jenkins

Legendary Member
What a difference a few days makes - Thursday was a stiff north or north easterly breeze, cloudy and I was in Ronhills, base layer and thermal jersey, today was still a decent north easterly but thanks to the sunshine it was shorts & a short sleeve jersey. Bloody lovely.

Well today was a commuting 1st, actually the 3rd time in about 160,000 and coincidently on the 13th (at least it wasn't a Friday or I'd been really freaked out). My front wheel which was ok last Tues when I last used it today was sticking but after rotating the brake hanger it seemed to be OK but I didn't really have time to test it before the train, so I thought I'd test it on the mile to the station and fix it on the train. I got nearly all the way to the station then bang but it didn't feel bad so I still thought I'd fix it on the train. As I was walking down to the station the wheel started to bobble about like it was buckled, it was the tyre and I noticed:
kRJN1_cdN-OfPxR4OyK50faEh5Pk3R-ZDeMkPFy4-2048x1536.jpg

It was a good job I looked there was no fixing that on the train and I would have arrived an hour before any shop would have opened. So I walked back to the flat (thank goodness I changed to MTB SPDs back in January, I had used road SPD-SLs). I first took the front wheel of another bike but it has a 25mm and I doubted itd clear the mudguard under the fork. I was right. I thought about taking the other bike and putting mtb spd's on it and even got the tools out and loosened the right pedal, but I decided I'd spend the whole day fretting about its security . So dug out a spare wheel and an old (but barely used) wired 23mm tyre instead.

The net result I got a train 50mins after the one I'd originally planned to get.

The roads at that time were a bliss and I should have done the whole commute on the roads but the car dominated roads in Stevenage town centre aren't exactly welcoming at the best of times. Lol, the first real incident I've had with drivers in a long time was on the segregated Stevenage cycle network. As I left the station there was another cyclist coming towards me at a good speed, I found out why a second later, a tractor lawnmower was following her at speed! Carefully concentrating on getting through the small gap as the lawnmower driver wasn't slowing down, I probably wasn't 100% concentrating on the blind bend. Thankfully I was concentrating enough but it still freaked me out going round the bend to find another tractor lawnmower cutting the blind corner at speed! The immediate next corner is open thankfully and I was able to see and avoid the closely following tractor who was cutting that corner at speed too. FFS I was on the path network just before 9am when the school kids would have only just cleared it and they were driving around like nutters. I'm told its a pretty regular occurrence too :cursing:

This evening was rather chilled out though (despite the temperatures ) and I plotted a route to the villages just south of Hertford and circled to WGC (almost doubling) my commute and I almost got it spot on the new roads (in the peak hour) weren't too busy and by the time I got round to the familiar roads to go north to Stevenage they had really become quiet 👌🌞

C R

Guru
Well today was a commuting 1st, actually the 3rd time in about 160,000 and coincidently on the 13th (at least it wasn't a Friday or I'd been really freaked out). My front wheel which was ok last Tues when I last used it today was sticking but after rotating the brake hanger it seemed to be OK but I didn't really have time to test it before the train, so I thought I'd test it on the mile to the station and fix it on the train. I got nearly all the way to the station then bang but it didn't feel bad so I still thought I'd fix it on the train. As I was walking down to the station the wheel started to bobble about like it was buckled, it was the tyre and I noticed:
View attachment 694652
It was a good job I looked there was no fixing that on the train and I would have arrived an hour before any shop would have opened. So I walked back to the flat (thank goodness I changed to MTB SPDs back in January, I had used road SPD-SLs). I first took the front wheel of another bike but it has a 25mm and I doubted itd clear the mudguard under the fork. I was right. I thought about taking the other bike and putting mtb spd's on it and even got the tools out and loosened the right pedal, but I decided I'd spend the whole day fretting about its security . So dug out a spare wheel and an old (but barely used) wired 23mm tyre instead.

The net result I got a train 50mins after the one I'd originally planned to get.

The roads at that time were a bliss and I should have done the whole commute on the roads but the car dominated roads in Stevenage town centre aren't exactly welcoming at the best of times. Lol, the first real incident I've had with drivers in a long time was on the segregated Stevenage cycle network. As I left the station there was another cyclist coming towards me at a good speed, I found out why a second later, a tractor lawnmower was following her at speed! Carefully concentrating on getting through the small gap as the lawnmower driver wasn't slowing down, I probably wasn't 100% concentrating on the blind bend. Thankfully I was concentrating enough but it still freaked me out going round the bend to find another tractor lawnmower cutting the blind corner at speed! The immediate next corner is open thankfully and I was able to see and avoid the closely following tractor who was cutting that corner at speed too. FFS I was on the path network just before 9am when the school kids would have only just cleared it and they were driving around like nutters. I'm told its a pretty regular occurrence too :cursing:

This evening was rather chilled out though (despite the temperatures ) and I plotted a route to the villages just south of Hertford and circled to WGC (almost doubling) my commute and I almost got it spot on the new roads (in the peak hour) weren't too busy and by the time I got round to the familiar roads to go north to Stevenage they had really become quiet 👌🌞

Did you know that the equivalent to Friday the 13th in Spain is Tuesday the 13th?

vickster

Legendary Member
Screwed up Thameslink trains meant another unscheduled longer Brommie ride to Wimbledon, tube, ride to office from Blackfriars. Bit late to work as a result. And hotter than planned!!
Watching the forecast, hoping any heavy rain is done or stays away by 5.30.

Trains messed up again, Brommie and I will be off to Wimbledon :rolleyes:
Caught train by skin of teeth thanks to traffic jam caused by broken down car. Had to fold on train!

Last edited:

biking_fox

Guru
Uneventful hot rides. Taking it easy. A lot of drivers in the cyclelanes today. I'm not sure they know (or care) how wide their vehicles are.

Alex321

Guru
Uneventful hot rides. Taking it easy. A lot of drivers in the cyclelanes today. I'm not sure they know (or care) how wide their vehicles are.

Every traffic light this morning, there was a car in the ASL area. I also had a bus left-hook me without indicating, though fortunately I wasn't far enough alongside for it to be a problem, I was able to just brake a little.

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
Random one this morning on the way to work, 5am and a guy with his black lab paddling in a stream near Brampton like you do! Definitely a 1st for me on my commute

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Wow Monday and Tuesday where hot on the commute. I went in at 6am which was nice but meant I was riding home around 4 - 5 so was peak heat.

Today was WFH and needed to take my eldest to the hospital he agreed to ride up so that saved parking stress and money 😊

Top Bottom