Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Indeed. Looking good for the next couple of weeks at least too. Along with half term next week. Marvellous.

I think half of folk are already on holiday, the roads were empty today. Come half term they'll be dead :okay:

I was on recovery commutes today deliberately saving my legs for a 50miles tt at the weekend so at a couple of spots I took longer routes so I could bimble in peace and that probably made them seem quieter again.

I had to laugh at the far end. I got of the train around 4.30pm to the crazy peak before the grid lock. One noisy exhaust convertible driver desperately swerved around me to an instant halt as he almost crashed into the start of grid lock. He must have at least been aware of me as he swerved desperately again out of my way. I was only bimbling though so I just let the traffic move again :laugh:

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Morning commute, just getting onto cycle path & found more fly-tipping:
20230530_082114.jpg

Although to be fair, they might have left it at the top & it could have fallen over.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There was broken glass everywhere this morning. 😡

Long Weekend - Alex Park (Moss Side) was full of litter - most of it dumped around the bins, but, FFS, take a bin bag with you. Pizza boxes galore. The park is looking lovely at the moment, other than litter....

Reactions: C R

captain nemo1701

On the way home last night (30/5) got buzzed by ninja yoof on his overclocked souped-up all-black painted e-bike on the Bristol Railway Path. I heard a 'zeeeeeeeeee' coming from behind and was shocked to see this little twit shooting uphill at probably 30mph. Of course, entirely reliant on the motor and not pedalling but he was going as fast as blokes on road bikes going downhill:ohmy:. Not a safe speed especially as the path narrows up from the Easton Community Centre. He slowed down because two roadies up ahead were overtaking a pedestrian but once clear, as if to say 'look at me', he pulled a wheelie for about 100m until I lost sight of him.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Same here last night. Nearing home, climbing up a bridleway lane, spot two yoofs on those Surron bikes, one popping a wheelie. Moved over to the side as they shot past in a cloud of dust wearing balaclavas.

Spotted the same lads about an hour later whilst dropping my daughter off at her boyfriends house in the lovely resort of Brinnington.

No doubt, when they get splatted, they are lovely lads, weren't speeding, yadda yadda - regular occurance round my way.

captain nemo1701

Same here last night. Nearing home, climbing up a bridleway lane, spot two yoofs on those Surron bikes, one popping a wheelie. Moved over to the side as they shot past in a cloud of dust wearing balaclavas.

Spotted the same lads about an hour later whilst dropping my daughter off at her boyfriends house in the lovely resort of Brinnington.

No doubt, when they get splatted, they are lovely lads, weren't speeding, yadda yadda - regular occurance round my way.

Yes, there's a gang of them all in black shooting around Bristol. You're quite right, when little Johnny goes under the wheels of an HGV, it'll be local paper headlines of lovely boy, well-liked at school etc etc. No-one casually ask little Johnny what that big black motorbike-like thing is doing in the shed?.

It was actually yesterday, I am WfH today and just popping out to the lbs at lunch makes me not fancy going out again. Yesterday though was a bliss in the morning with empty train and empty roads (Half Term). One of my colleagues has been asking me regularly about the route I take from near his place to work for a while.🤞it finally seems to influenced him to cycle, the next time I am in he wants to meet up. I kinda wished he'd made that decision before the half term bliss.

The roads were pretty empty at night and I went for a wee meander. Not inspiring weather but lovely roads.
20230530_174421.jpg

20230530_175001.jpg

The trains were running late though so were totally rammed, not at school kids adding to crush and it seemed everyone came back from their holidays yesterday judging by all the suitcases in every space. The holiday makers that had blocked up the bike spaces finally got off at the stop before me which made masses of space and I finally got a seat for the next 15mins.
20230530_190348.jpg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A fantastic mornings commute in this morning. Weather was a little on the colder side but stuck with short sleeves as knew it wouldn't take long to warm up. Close call though.
With half term the traffic is really light. Amazing the difference it makes on your average speed.
Today's speed was helped by a great bit of SCR with a shaven legged roadie. He overtook me at speed so I lit the burners and was off after him, catching him up, he turned round to look and I saw that look of surprise on his face that I was there. :okay: I kept up with him, though at a couple of bike lengths back as I don't like drafting or being drafted. Tacking with him along the fast A21, his traffic awareness and positioning wasn't that great to be honest, not really predicting what the traffic was going to do quite well, so I got in front of him. At junctions he was slow off the mark because he was using SPD-L's or LOOK cleats where as I use MTB SPD's, so I could stamp in them and was away whilst listening to him trying to get into his cleats. I stayed in front of him for the last mile until I turned off for work.
Great fun, great workout. Highly enjoyable morning's ride. One of the quickest of the year.

Top Bottom