Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
So how's the rainy commutes going?

I woke up this morning to rain battering the windows. Such a nice start to the cycle commuting week I thought.
But, luckily by the time I had left home the rain had stopped and it was quite pleasant, apart from all the standing water.
So not a rainy commute this morning.

But, looking at the stats I keep, this year so far has surpassed all other years that I have kept records of such things.
This year I have had 27 rainy commutes
The same period this time last year 11.
The annual averages are about 30+/- days of rainy commutes.
Yep, 2023 is turning out to be a very wet one.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Nice sunny ride in today, just over 12 miles along some pretty lanes before joining the A38 southbound.

I enjoyed the white blossoms/flowers - cow parsley, hawthorn, wild garlic, horse chestnut.

Somehow I have 3 close passes to report - one fast/close Audi and two vans. Not sure why drivers seem to be getting worse at the moment.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
So how's the rainy commutes going?

I woke up this morning to rain battering the windows. Such a nice start to the cycle commuting week I thought.
But, luckily by the time I had left home the rain had stopped and it was quite pleasant, apart from all the standing water.
So not a rainy commute this morning.

But, looking at the stats I keep, this year so far has surpassed all other years that I have kept records of such things.
This year I have had 27 rainy commutes
The same period this time last year 11.
The annual averages are about 30+/- days of rainy commutes.
Yep, 2023 is turning out to be a very wet one.

Sorry, but the sunshine came out of my suitcase and is fixed above Manchester for the moment. Sorry I couldn't extend it to London, but sunshine is a rare commodity !

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Lovely rides today. Ended up riding down to show my mate the route in again after he got a puncture on the last attempt and lost his head so couldn't remember it. We also tried riding back along the ship canal and then the Bridgewater to Sale Water Park where he continued on the canal I left and headed to Stockport. Not sure it was a great route really, but it gives him some options. He normally rides to Stretford on the canal from Altrincham \ Sale and then along the roads to town.

38km in the legs today for me though which is good.

fossyant

The tail wind home did not appear. Bit of a slog in places. Two incident's on the way home. On the 'Floop' I got passed by four lads in balaclavas on two mopeds - obviously upto no good, but the Floop was busy. Then near home, just missed getting flattened by two illegal motocross bikes as they teared down the local bridleway - had I been 10 seconds earlier I would have ended up in a head on with them (singletrack section).

Seems to be a 'thing' these balaclava wearing yoofs as I came across one on Sunday when out. Hot day, saw two lads on the trail, one wearing a balaclava. Gave them a wide birth by cutting across the field on my CX bike, when said 'yoof' then tried to scream in my ear. What is wrong with them ?

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Gorgeous commute along the Roe Green Loop Line this morning but I picked something up near the end. Thankfully the tyre stayed inflated until I got to work
22165C70-79E9-4A7A-BB4B-24C793F9A388.jpeg

DE699AA7-61FC-41C2-ABCD-96A870DBAF1C.jpeg

0252FD4E-95D8-4F4F-8839-4A94066675CF.jpeg

fossyant

Nearly bonnet surfed twice in 100 yards tonight. Had a pleasant ride in, and most of the way home. Cycling in a clearly marked cycle lane, keeping pace with traffic, and the spidey senses kicked in. Sure enough, the car next to me started turning left with no indication. I had no option but to swerve into the garage forecourt whilst shouting 'Oi'. Car stopped. Just got my trajectory corrected, bumped over the curb and back on road, when another car tries to turn right across my path. Grrr.

MTB's do have a slight advantage in that you can just ride them over curbs without thinking about it.

Last edited:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
@fossyant good skills!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
What a gorgeous morning out there. It really makes you forget about all the crappy, wet weather we have had recently. Smiley miles.
Traffic seemed lighter then usual for some reason which made for a nice change.

My partner bought me some new slippers for Christmas, not for the commute, but for dry, leisure rides. I've not had a chance to wear them because of all the crap weather we've had. Nice and comfy they are, but they do need a little breaking in before I embark on some serious miles in them so their maiden voyage was this morning. Nice and shiny in the sun.

1684396222216.png

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Back on the Brompton for the commute at the moment whilst we fit out new office out. It's past the point where I can get away with just bringing the bike into the building and leaving it anywhere, but not at the point where the bike store is available. So Brompton to the rescue.

My mate came a rode in with me today, him on his Electric Brompton, ride home was just in the nick of time before the rain.

Today's commute was a bliss. In the morning I usually turn up early to grab a bike space. But today with all the rail disruption a train turned up almost immediately. It was running late and empty which allowed me to lower the brake pads. I had fitted a spare front wheel last night and forgot it was narrower and the brake pad screws would touch.

20230519_065407.jpg

20230519_065417.jpg

20230519_065428.jpg

The London bound train is usually completely standing at the next station but there were seats all the way until I got off 6 stops later. With it having been so empty I expected the roads to be busy but they were relatively empty too.

Tonight was really nice, calm and warm and my boss told me to go for the early train so I did and it was my fastest commute of the year, aided by leaving town before most of the gridlock. No idea where I lost 40s maybe at the one congested roundabout.
Screenshot_20230519-174304_Strava.jpg

I made it to the station anyway in plenty of time and had a coffee while I was waiting ☕
20230519_173357.jpg

20230519_173412.jpg

To my delight the train was empty too and I got a seat in the wheelchair area straight away (the 35 past trains have no bike parking)
20230519_173706.jpg

20230519_173714.jpg

Edit: Aesthetically I need to trim the stays for the guards but I store the bike vertically and this is just less faff than having to adjust them each time I put it horizontal.

Last edited:
Top Bottom