Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I had an off today - in the works bike shed :laugh:. As is usual, I unclipped the left foot while unlocking the shed, rolled forward, turned to the right to my customary spot and a small stone or something similar caused the front wheel to move unexpectedly. Cue comedy slow motion fall on my right side as I couldn't unclip in time and I even had time to exclaim 'Bugger' or something similar on the way down.

I did something similar on some mud a few weeks ago - I did say 'buger' as there was a 'lady' near me'. She was quite concerned. Fairly comical slow speed one, front went, corrected it, but it went the other way and chucked me off.

Now't much to report today - much warmer this evening and was chatting with a colleague in the bke shed who is moving up my way, so discussing routes. He'd done a few test routes. It's only 10-11 miles but it's about double his current route.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Beautiful weather today, so took the scenic route in, ~14 miles and 500m climbing.

20230503_071401.jpg

20230503_080015.jpg

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Meanwhile, with the breeze coming straight off the North sea, I was back into a long sleeved base layer, thermal jersey and full finger gloves this morning.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
absolutely drenched is the best way to describe coming home last night :sad: constant heavy rain all the way home .
I was wet after 3 miles and it just continued to get damper having to wipe the stream of water in my eyes that was dripping off the helmet under the glasses .
To top it all a suicidal badger ran in front of me which i barely missed , i mean wtf there isnt another person about and it decides to cross the road just as i pass .

When I got on the train this morning I had to google to check it wasn't a bank holiday the train never started to fill until a few stops down the line to London. The roads were a little bit busier but still quieter than normal. So tonight I extended my commute and only came across a couple of rat running driver on the tiny, circa 3m wide lanes. There's usually dozens of them which makes cycling on the wider roads with better visibility safer. The only real thing of note was this evening was the first commute of the year in shorts 🌞

Screenshot_20230505-190554_Strava.jpg

20230505_184007.jpg

20230505_183929.jpg

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Thankfully the wind has dropped and it’s warmed up, even the rain was warm !
Usual stunning commute each way along the Roe Green Loop Line with a cheeky extended run home through Worsley woods and down the Bridgewater canal
CCFB12DC-F4E4-4B08-B99A-12AF6C19B77A.jpeg

876C22F4-6F1B-4287-BBEC-401ACFDBA901.jpeg

51491A3D-F1CA-40A6-9FCF-F00790395FD4.jpeg

simongt

Guru
Rode into the city today for my voluntary charity work . Locked my Brommy to the nearby cycle stands and noticed the bike next to mine. An orange five speed Falcon with the following; Steering head badge stated 'Falcon Cycles, Birmingham Eng.' And on the downtube 'Reynolds 531' plus the advert sticker for Bryant's Cycles, Norwich. The last won't mean anything to anyone who wasn't a cyclist in Norwich many years ago, but suffice to say that Mr. Bryant had one of the most respected LBS shops in the city for many a year; his knowledge and skill being legendary. :okay:
Sadly, when he retired, his son Chris took the business over, but had no idea about running a business and it closed a few years later. :sad:
Reckon that Falcon must be at least fifty years old and was looking pretty good - ! :smile:

Alex321

Guru
When I got on the train this morning I had to google to check it wasn't a bank holiday the train never started to fill until a few stops down the line to London. The roads were a little bit busier but still quieter than normal. So tonight I extended my commute and only came across a couple of rat running driver on the tiny, circa 3m wide lanes. There's usually dozens of them which makes cycling on the wider roads with better visibility safer. The only real thing of note was this evening was the first commute of the year in shorts 🌞

I've been in shorts for a few weeks now. Still wearing arm warmers on the way in to work at 7AM, not usually for the ride home at 4:30PM.

The roads here were way quieter than usual too, particularly in the city. Probably a lot 9f people working from home if they could, to get away early for the bank holiday weekend.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Wow it's been a while. I've been hectic this last few months so my commutes to Manchester have been down to once a week and I haven't even had time this year to ride for pleasure as I have was standing in the local elections.

Anyway back to normal now, we have a new office so I went to meet my mate and show him the way in, 35km today under the belt.

The tale was that on the way home I lost my nice rear light, I heard something but didn't think it was something off my bike, I later realised what it was. Very grumpy.

Screenshot_2023-05-09-17-52-13-578_com.strava.jpg

🌩️⛈️🌩️⛈️

It got a wee bit interesting when the floods were up to the bottom of my kneecaps 🫣

Lol, at some point my rear brake bolt has become loose leading to a little bit of extra resistance training just what I needed pedaling through 2foot of water. I've given the bike a quick rub down, it was surprisingly clean, but I'll need to give the chain a wipe down after tea.

Top Bottom