Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Very cold, very wet.

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Off to Brussels today on the Eurostar so a different commute for me today.
Took a Santander Cycle from Paddington to St. Pancras with a lap of Regents Park... 👍

IMG_20230417_081526.jpg

rivers

How far can I go?
The weather is nice and my gravel bike is in for a service- great, time to get the summer bike out. Or not. Get two streets away, go to freewheel, and the chain goes completely slack. Not so great, and I gingerly waddle (got to love road shoes) the 5 minutes home to change and grab the car (and the dog as the agreement in my house is if I take the car to work, I also take the dog). Upon further inspection this evening, I have a sticky freewheel. I don't have the parts or the time to fix it right now, so I've stuck my race wheels on my bike. Back to the commuting grind tomorrow.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nippy this morning, so went in with the windproof soft shell but had a light weight top in my bag for this afternoon.

Managed to stack it on some mud on a shared use part. Just coasting past a pedestrian, and my front wheel slipped. Left, right and dumped me on the ground. Poor pedestrian was checking how I was. I said it was more embarrassing than any injury.

Graised both knees and they were a bit leaky on the rest of the way in so kept wiping then as not to shock folk. Got a few 'looks' with bloody knees.

Stopped for a quick photo near work. Not to bad this commute into the city.

20230418_074658.jpg

20230418_074654.jpg

Last edited:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Nippy this morning, so went in with the windproof soft shell but had a light weight top in my bag for this afternoon.

Managed to stack it on some mud on a shared use part. Just coasting past a pedestrian, and my front wheel slipped. Left, right and dumped me on the ground. Poor pedestrian was checking how I was. I said it was more embarrassing than any injury.

Graised both knees and they were a bit leaky on the rest of the way in so kept wiping then as not to shock folk. Got a few 'looks' with bloody knees.

View attachment 686038

View attachment 686039

Aww, always embarrassing when there are witnesses! Hope your knees heal up well. Bike is looking good for it though.

C R

Guru

View attachment 686038

View attachment 686039

Is that the pond at Fallowfield Park?

I enjoyed that commute today. I only slept circa 4hours and expected a slog but everything flowed smoothly, I suspect I got one of those mythical tail winds. It was also sunny and warming up which helped. I went out at lunch time, for a walk and it had clouded over though and there was quite a chilly wind. So I was expecting a right slog back but again everything seemed to flow as glimpses of the sun appeared. It was probably my fastest round commute of the year and I was very comfortable in shorts and knee warmers.

The only other thing I found was that the train part was busier than ever, the cycle paths out of Stevenage were fairly busy (you could see some kids were still off though but the roads were still fairly quiet.

Reactions: C R

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Tough one yesterday
Very late from work as we had a breakdown so it was after 1 am before i set off for home and i could hear a scraping on the bike but as is was dark i couldnt work out what it was even after stopping 3 times to look as best i could by street light .Got home eventually absolutely drained and by the time i got to bed it was 2.30 am and up at 7.30 to help with the school run , got the bike out and somehow my rear brake was rubbing so i had ridden home all the way like that so no wonder it was hard going !

Top Bottom