Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Still raining when I left for work and only reduced to misty drizzle despite all the forecasts saying it would clear an hour before that. Plus another puncture on the ebike (that's one front and two rear in just over 1000 miles) so, if swaping to the Vittorias from one of the other bikes doesn't improve things, I'll be looking to get something more robust or even try going tubeless.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nice ride in. Shorts this morning. Might be different this evening depending how quickly storm Antoni rolls in.

A colleague has left their nice shiny brand new eMTB locked by it's front wheel only in the shelter. Probably a good £3k worth (even the original Welgo pedals you get don't have any scuffs). Left a message on the Cycle User's group and a little note on the bike lock.

Near perfect weather for the commute this morning but at 5-6deg I wasn't as brave as Fossy and opted for my thinnest pair of longs. I also wanted to go recovery pace. My commuting jacket is a softshell with zip off sleeves and I fully expected to take them off tonight. However, whilst the temperature was on average a few degrees warmer, only cooling down to 6deg, it was a bit damp and windy. Fortunately a tailwind and not as torrential as forecasted.

The only other things of note is that as it was so quiet I diverted onto a normally busy road to grab an OS tile and each way including the 50min train journey in the middle was in the light.

fossyant

Avoided the worst of the storm last night as it rolled in about an hour after I got home. Took a revised route home to avoid the local scallies - not an issue at 7am, but 5-5:30 they are up and about. Route involved coming off the Fallowfield Loop at the A6 then using that into Stockport and following one of my old routes home - there have been some improvements to the cycle infrastructure which allows you to bypass the traffic in the town centre.

Decent ride in this morning, just a couple of showers, but 'ride time' is improved by a few minutes on the cold weather.

biking_fox

Guru
Was off ill yesterday, better enough today so thought I'd take it gently. Fallowfield Loop was lovely first early bluebells showing colour. Turned onto the Aroad into city centre and picked up a huge tailwind. No more gently! empty roads and a tailwind blast is great fun.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I often tell people that my commute takes about the same amount of time all year round but I don't think it's true. When it's cold it takes me ages, the legs don't work so well and then there's the fatter, softer, tyres (a studded one on the front for the last two days)
Feet got cold today- still haven't found those overshoes.

Will find them in June no doubt.

Ahead of schedule- just found them.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I often tell people that my commute takes about the same amount of time all year round but I don't think it's true. When it's cold it takes me ages, the legs don't work so well and then there's the fatter, softer, tyres (a studded one on the front for the last two days)
Feet got cold today- still haven't found those overshoes.

Will find them in June no doubt.

Also cold air is far denser the warm air so makes for harder going

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
2023 is really turning out to be grim weather wise. I can't remember it being so bad in April before. Gusty winds and cold rain for last nights commute.
The stats speak for themselves.
Rainy commute # 18 for the year
Last year in the same period 10 rainy commutes.

Tiresome.

Good thing I'm off to southern Spain at the weekend for what is looking like glorious, warm weather for a weeks cycle touring.
I can do with the warmth.

Last edited:

fossyant

Missed the bad weather last night, but was fully waterproofed as I'd slotted in a gap in the heavy rain. Damp this morning and the bike is filthy again (had a quick wash last night)

Top Bottom