Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Fell lucky with the rain this morning. Set off, water proof on, within a mile the rain had stopped, so waterproof went in my back pocket. Rain started again, but soon stopped. Cycled into light clouds and sunshine. On turning to head North near work, should see lots of dark black clouds back to the East where I had come from.

fossyant

Strange one last night. Climbing a steep hill out of the local country park, spotted a guy sat on a bench on his phone. Except he had a decent MTB helmet on, but no bike ? By coincidence I'd spotted someone on a big trail bike on the other side of the country park in civvies - bike robbed ? Dunno ? It's a small section of my commute that's a bit dodgy - the route out of the park backs onto a fairly rough area ! It's never an issue in the mornings, but on the return there are usually some young adults mucking about in this area.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Not posted for a while so here is a photo of the guided busway just as it started hissing down ! I was less than a mile from home but hey ho
B919414A-4285-4E57-B384-A1F1C72389E0.jpeg

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Genuine SRAM PC1110 chains from reputable suppliers and both with less than 1500 miles on each. They were both on 'grotty weather' bikes though.

Unlucky perhaps ? Grotty and dirt infested and even with less than ideal maintenance / lubrication - that’s still some going imo.

Trainee at work has been using same bike / chain for the last 3 (?) years that is literally mahogany coloured, as dry as you can possibly imagine; and looks like he fished it up originally from Gt Yarmouth Harbour !

****Gonna lube it for him when I’m back. If it breaks now - blame me 😎

fossyant

Unlucky perhaps ? Grotty and dirt infested and even with less than ideal maintenance / lubrication - that’s still some going imo.

Trainee at work has been using same bike / chain for the last 3 (?) years that is literally mahogany coloured, as dry as you can possibly imagine; and looks like he fished it up originally from Gt Yarmouth Harbour !

Given the state of two 'Police' Trek bikes parked outside work at lunch, oil is pointless. Lovely orange chains and cassettes. We are doing it wrong !

Last edited:

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Given the state of two 'Police' Trek bikes parked outside wrk at lunch, oil is pointless. Lovely orange chains and cassettes. We are doing it wrong !

Less is more ?

Jenkins

Legendary Member

Yebbut I'm used to getting 4000+ miles from the 10 speed chains I use on the other main commuter which was also used in the grotty weather:laugh:

Don't get me started on the dry, solid, squeaky and orange chains on some of the bikes I see.

november4

Maybe do a weekly chain wear check, against where the old one got to in stretch before breaking?

Never seen an e bike, xcheck ribblecowners to see if its a known thing/work around? Must be a real pain dealing with that...

Top Bottom