Motorsports Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FishFright

More wheels than sense

13 rider

Guru
So a question for the more knowledgeable does the weight of the car include the tyre and wheels they finished on ,and could badly worn tyres lose 1.5kg of rubber as that was the weight George's car was underweight

classic33

Leg End Member
So a question for the more knowledgeable does the weight of the car include the tyre and wheels they finished on ,and could badly worn tyres lose 1.5kg of rubber as that was the weight George's car was underweight
There was a message to both Mercedes drivers in the early part of the race to lift and coast(save fuel). It was fuel removed for a sample after the race that caused the weight issue, which lead to the car being checked and weighed without the wheels.
I think they knew the car would be underweight at the end, but didn't expect him to finish on the podium or do only the one stop.

Expert opinion there, seeing the car being weighed without the wheels, felt that the tyre wear wouldn't have given the 1.5kg underweight difference. Nor did the fact that there was no lap back to the pit's mean he lost out on the chance to pick up the weight from the track.

FishFright

More wheels than sense

I've heard the pick up is up to a kg usually but as they don't do a victory lap at spa there isn't time to pick up anything like that .

albion

Guru
I wonder what the leeway is for weight. Under 1kg?

It is likely those extra laps removed 0.5kg ++++
Edit - thinking about it, the leeway must be zero, anything else encourages risk taking like this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom