Motorsports Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I wonder what the leeway is for weight. Under 1kg?

It is likely those extra laps removed 0.5kg ++++
Edit - thinking about it, the leeway must be zero, anything else encourages risk taking like this.

Exactly. The limit is the limit. If there’s “leeway” then that just sets a different limit.

On the point of no cool-down lap and no chance to pick up marbles, Martin Brundle has said more than once in commentary that the FIA have the right to scrape the tyres clean if they deem it necessary.

classic33

Leg End Member
Exactly. The limit is the limit. If there’s “leeway” then that just sets a different limit.

On the point of no cool-down lap and no chance to pick up marbles, Martin Brundle has said more than once in commentary that the FIA have the right to scrape the tyres clean if they deem it necessary.
The car was weighed without the wheels in place, and still underweight. Removing any chance of saying it was tyre wear.

I see bits on the net saying that Red Bull have been using a special brake valve in their braking system which has given them a form of traction control. I was wondering if they had a system for a while now as I couldn't see how they could have a car which was fast on the straight and also through the corners.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I see bits on the net saying that Red Bull have been using a special brake valve in their braking system which has given them a form of traction control. I was wondering if they had a system for a while now as I couldn't see how they could have a car which was fast on the straight and also through the corners.

I've not seen that from anyone remotely reliable yet.

There have been constant rumours about pretty much everything
Horner's comments have been that they do have an inbuilt advantage - and his name is Max

Lewis commented some time last season that Red Bull seemed to have an especially effective DSR system - which suddenly disappeared and he was idly wondering why

On the other hand part of the job of an F1 team is to look carefully at the regulations and find a way to "use them to their advantage"

If it wasn;t for their second driver always being of similar speed to the rest of the field then it would all look very suspicious
but then - wouldn;t that be a clever move to give all the "special options" to Max and leave them off the other car so it looks normal??

ll of which is positive proof of absolutely naff all

classic33

Leg End Member
Would this be the valve you've been reading about?
https://thejudge13.com/2024/08/16/red-bull-prominent-engineer-calls-out-bulls-theory/

It appears to have some similarities to Newey's McLaren days.
https://www.planetf1.com/news/mclaren-fiddle-brake-system-1998-banned-fia

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member

There was a recent clarification from the FIA outlawing braking systems that mimicked traction control by independantly braking one wheel - annoyingly I can't find the article on Autosport at the moment. People have interpreted this as one team having either asked the FIA for a legality opinion or been found using something similar.

Tom B

Guru
On the other hand part of the job of an F1 team is to look carefully at the regulations and find a way to "use them to their advantage"

AIUI teams can ask the FIA to.clarify things in the rules, the response and clarification as then published.

The idea is that if teams have an idea they think might be sailing close to the rules they can cask for clarification before spending time developing the system.

What also happens is teams suspecting another team.has a gadget, without asking or accusing anyone of cheating ask the FIA to clarify if it legal, if it is, they build a copy, if it isn't the team running it have to remove it.

Obviously if Team Tom ask is it legal to build and add a biffleboffer and it is confirmed it's okay, the the other teams immediately question why it's being asked and consider building their own.

I can't help but think some might like to stir the pot and ask for spurious clarifications so other teams spend (waste) time looking at it.

Top Bottom