Motorsports Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Let's be real here, they've always been a thing. Today was considerably more blatant than they've been for some time.
Any more than "Fernando is faster than you", or Multi twenty-one?

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Max appeared to go full tantrum too. Doesn’t like it up ‘im, does ‘e?
I did like the way his engineer (Gianpiero Lambiase) clamply put him down in a couple of the replies related to the crash with Hamilton...
"I think you were behind at the apex, Max,” and "I’m not going to even get into a radio fight with the other teams. We’ll let the stewards do their thing. It’s childish on the radio. Childish.”

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Any more than "Fernando is faster than you", or Multi twenty-one?

Trouble is that "Piastri is faster than you" didn't really apply towards the end of the race. And Piastri is managed by Mark Webber, who lost out in the Multi 21 incident.

Conventionally the higher placed team mate in the race (Piastri) has the first call on pit stops, but Norris was given the advantage on both pit stops by being called in first to guard against Hamilton & Verstappen behind him, so I think the correct action was (eventually) taken by Norris however much it goes against a racer's instinct.

I'll throw this (not entirely serious) one out there - potential discord in the McLaren ranks and a seat going free at Mercedes = Norris to Mercedes with the Mercedes protege Andrea Kimi Antonelli being loaned to McLaren as compensation.

Alex321

Guru
Let's be real here, they've always been a thing. Today was considerably more blatant than they've been for some time.

Yes. They tried banning them in 2002. But after a few years decided it wasn't working, so removed the ban in 2011.

It doesn't matter in the least how "blatant" they are - that implies they shouldn't happen, when they are completely legit.

AndyRM

XOXO
Yes. They tried banning them in 2002. But after a few years decided it wasn't working, so removed the ban in 2011.

It doesn't matter in the least how "blatant" they are - that implies they shouldn't happen, when they are completely legit.

It's like we're saying the same thing from different angles...

Whatever anyone says about the race today, that was fixing. To satisfy who I neither know nor care, but it was disappointing to see.

I was feeling sympathy for the McLaren team but yesterday's incident has put me right off them. I've gone right off Pastry being a right whining driver. As Norris said Pastry Should speed up if he wanted to take the lead.
McLaren's action must have made a lot of fans angry.

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
I'll throw this (not entirely serious) one out there - potential discord in the McLaren ranks and a seat going free at Mercedes = Norris to Mercedes with the Mercedes protege Andrea Kimi Antonelli being loaned to McLaren as compensation.

It does make you wonder if something like that might happen.

It would be nice to know who made the agreement that Piastri should win the race , presumably it was agreed that if McLaren found themselves comfortably clear by a certain lap number that driver would win the race barring incidents

figbat

Slippery scientist
It does make you wonder if something like that might happen.

It would be nice to know who made the agreement that Piastri should win the race , presumably it was agreed that if McLaren found themselves comfortably clear by a certain lap number that driver would win the race barring incidents

I'm a bit torn on this one. They obviously sacrificed Piastri's lead to protect Norris, thus earning themselves a comfortable 1-2 but at the expense of Piastri. I assume this was done with prior agreement or knowledge from both sides of the garage, and Oscar played his team role as requested. Lando then found himself the beneficiary of this agreement and was looking to renege on it, effectively claiming he was the lead driver and fighting for the championship. His engineer was clear that this was a team sport and you need the team behind you to win championships (perhaps a veiled threat, passed down from some other element of the team, that if he went rogue then he wouldn't have their backing...?). The problem is that the protracted discussions over the radio did nothing for Lando's credibility as a team player, even if he did reluctantly hand over the place near the end. That said, a 5 second lead is a lot to give up, especially as Oscar was not catching him. At least he didn't smash Oscar's trophy on the podium.

Jody

Stubborn git
Whatever anyone says about the race today, that was fixing. To satisfy who I neither know nor care, but it was disappointing to see.

It was more disapointing to see Lando spat the dummy out even though his team brought him in 1st as they were trying to protect a 1-2 finish.

I've gone right off Pastry being a right whining driver.

Whinge? He hardly said anything. Epsecially with how many times he's let his own progress go to help Norris.

I'm a bit torn on this one. They obviously sacrificed Piastri's lead to protect Norris, thus earning themselves a comfortable 1-2 but at the expense of Piastri. I assume this was done with prior agreement or knowledge from both sides of the garage, and Oscar played his team role as requested. Lando then found himself the beneficiary of this agreement and was looking to renege on it, effectively claiming he was the lead driver and fighting for the championship. His engineer was clear that this was a team sport and you need the team behind you to win championships (perhaps a veiled threat, passed down from some other element of the team, that if he went rogue then he wouldn't have their backing...?). The problem is that the protracted discussions over the radio did nothing for Lando's credibility as a team player, even if he did reluctantly hand over the place near the end. That said, a 5 second lead is a lot to give up, especially as Oscar was not catching him. At least he didn't smash Oscar's trophy on the podium.

I have a feeling Oscar isn't going to be so willing to help Lando now unless they sort this situation. Watching his body language when back in the paddock, LN knew he'd dropped a bollock.

I'm 50/50 on it as Lando needs team orders if he's going to win this year. On the other hand the agreement was there before the race started

Top Bottom