Motorsports Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
As for Lewis/Max. Lewis was watching Max all the way to that collision and part of me thinks he was going to let that happen. Both to stick it to Max for previous indiscretions and also to knock him out the race.

The only way Max will ever learn is if people don't act passive around him. Especially to avoid accidents. It should be that if he's willing to crash, then both parties should be.

He knows full well out of everyone, HAM will try to avoid a crash so gets bullied out the way.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
The only way Max will ever learn is if people don't act passive around him. Especially to avoid accidents. It should be that if he's willing to crash, then both parties should be.

This is exactly what can happen when a wunderkid is greased through the system with ridiculous amounts of money and is surrounded by yes men. What it does, is leave out some of the most important parts of a driver's education - namely how to race when you haven't got the best equipment, how to use your brain and pick your battles wisely, and how to comport yourself in public.

Of course, we do know that Max was beaten by his father whenever he made a mistake / didn't win, but really, that doesn't mitigate the failure / lack of duty of care of others.

And so we've ended up with a despicable little Calligula.

I've always maintained that I would love to see Max dropped into the BTCC grid - if only to get his arse whupped by drivers for whom racecraft is their bread-and-butter.

icowden

Veteran
As for Lewis/Max. Lewis was watching Max all the way to that collision and part of me thinks he was going to let that happen. Both to stick it to Max for previous indiscretions and also to knock him out the race.
Yep. He knew that Max was losing it, his job was just to let him lose it but without taking out the Mercedes.

figbat

Slippery scientist
1721651352206.png

Note: “my race”. Not “our race”. He sees himself above the team and expects them all to move heaven and earth for him.

icowden

Veteran
Note: “my race”. Not “our race”. He sees himself above the team and expects them all to move heaven and earth for him.
Yep. He has no sense of humility or team at all. Hamilton is a class act in comparison. Max also doesn't seem to realise that he might get better results by not shooting all over his team in a hissy fit. He's back to being vercrashen all over again and throwing his toys out of the pram.

figbat

Slippery scientist
In other news, Perez still fails to darken the podium, or even threaten it. Tsunodo made a one-stop strategy work for a couple of points. Aston Martin appear to have cemented themselves back in the also-rans and Alpine are racing quickly... to the bottom. Ferrari never really showed up.

icowden

Veteran
In other news, Perez still fails to darken the podium, or even threaten it.
I find that one quite strange. In Mercedes dominant period, Bottas was consistently close to Lewis even if he was unable to win. Perez seems to be all over the place, particularly given how dominant the car was up until about 3 or 4 races ago.

Jody

Stubborn git
Perez seems to be all over the place, particularly given how dominant the car was up until about 3 or 4 races ago.

The pressure is well and truly on now.

As for the car, according to Albon, it's down to Max liking a sharp front end to the point of being extreme. Others can't handle it

figbat

Slippery scientist
I find that one quite strange. In Mercedes dominant period, Bottas was consistently close to Lewis even if he was unable to win. Perez seems to be all over the place, particularly given how dominant the car was up until about 3 or 4 races ago.

The same with Rosberg - again both could make it work. And with Bottas he at least could play a decent wingman, even if he didn't like to. There's not a lot of help that Checo can offer from the back half of the grid. With the upper teams you generally see both drivers performing fairly closely - Ferrari, Mercedes, McLaren - it's not a given who will be on top in a weekend. Red Bull is like two different teams, one with a championship winning car and the other squabbling for scraps.

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
There could be a lot of musical chairs soon seeing as Merc seat not fully confirmed, Perez not performing at Red bull even though he has a contract. Then Sainz is still footloose and looking if what we read is true...

Jenkins

Legendary Member
If a driver leaving Red Bull, as said by Christian Horner is correct, then my money is on Verstappen leaving, not Perez.
Sundays race might be the best example as to why.

Won't be Verstappen as Helmut Marko is staying there so no need for him to invoke the break clause in his contract (https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/r...pen-swoop-with-new-marko-commitment/10637008/).
Perez does have a performance clause in his contract, so is more likely to be shown the door despite only having just been given a two year extension.

Top Bottom