Votes: 377 26.3%
  • 11-15 miles

Votes: 304 21.2%
  • 16-20 miles

Votes: 169 11.8%
  • >20 miles

Votes: 254 17.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Skyfoil

The Jolly Ginger Giant
I've been riding 21 miles each way every day for the last 8 months. On a flat bar hybrid.
Very uncomfortable.
Building a road bike based on a 1980's Raleigh Record with 8sp Sora groupset in an attempt to make the run a little quicker/easier/more comfortable.

Jazzer

Regular
Hi sky foil I'm on a Scott hybrid doing 20mile each way and comfy, whys your commute uncomfortable.?

Skyfoil

The Jolly Ginger Giant
Hi sky foil I'm on a Scott hybrid doing 20mile each way and comfy, whys your commute uncomfortable.?

I bought the bike (Large 2010 Giant Escape 1) on the advice of my LBS. I was new to cycling then and didn't know any better. I'm 6'4" and the bike is too small for me. I should have gone for the XL. Don't get me wrong, the Giant has been a great workhorse. I estimate that i've done over 30,000 miles on it and i'm still on the original wheelset! The problem is, i'm now trying lot of different bikes and have discovered the benefits of selecting the correct frame sizes. The greatest discomfort, however, is the hand numbness / pins and needles. Without any options for alternative hand positions, I struggle with my hands after about 10 miles every time.

Cycleconvert

I have been commuting a 15 mile round trip for 3 weeks now and everytime I think I am getting quicker, I end up stuck in traffic or at traffic lights for longer than usual... typical!

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Mine is 40 miles return trip. I don't do it too often. I would need to leave at around 6 in the morning. Not a chance:biggrin:
Mine is about to be similar. Currently it's 16.8mi to work and 20.8mi from work i.e. 37.6mi return trip, because I use a straight main highway route to work at stupid-o'clock (I leave at 4:45am), but in the afternoon due to traffic I use cycle paths which makes the route longer.

In 2 weeks I'll be changing my role at work, and my start and finish times will be 1.5 hours later, which means I'll have to leave home later in the morning and so there will be more traffic along this main highway. Because of this, I'll be taking the 20.8mi cycle path route both ways, i.e. a 41.6mi return trip. I'm actually looking forward to the change, yeah I know, that's crazy talk, but I love cycling :smile:.

musa

Über Member
Currently doing ten miles give or take each way. Which im also trying to get under 30mins best time 31/32 minutes

If so then maybe attempt a 10mile tt

Just a short 5.5 miles this morning; its looking pretty wet out there just now so I may make it shorter again and I think I'll give the club training session a miss got a bit of a bruised thigh or something and I don't fancy cycling round a wet circuit fast; maybe I'll just pop to the shops instead.

Top Bottom