Votes: 377 26.3%
  • 11-15 miles

Votes: 304 21.2%
  • 16-20 miles

Votes: 169 11.8%
  • >20 miles

Votes: 254 17.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Niki

6 miles each way but should try to squeeze in a few laps of regents park in the evening when the weather gets warmer

Andrew Brown

23 miles round trip, about 60% on cycle path rest on road. Takes about 45 mins in 48 back on an average day, record is 39 in. Windy days can kill it to 55 mins or worse as most of it is coastal and can get very windy :smile:

15 miles one way only (home). Get a lift in and then twice a week cycle home. Been doing this for 3 weeks now. There's a stinger of a hill at mile 14 and have only managed it twice - the other times have had to walk. I'm working up to 3 times per week but definately will need a rest day in between for the forseeable future:ohmy:
I do both ways now but when I used to commute Ed-Dunfie, I bought a book flexi pass train tickets and used one in the morning and cycled at night; it saved sitting sweaty in the office and made it doable 5 days a week. I also hated the thought of descending it in the winter. The hill although longer is a lot less steep going by Fordel instead of going left and by Middlebank.

Risex4

Dropped by the autobus
I've recently changed up from doing 4 miles each way with 100ft of climbing outward and 200ft of climbing homeward to 15 miles each way with about 1400ft of climbing on each leg.

This involves heading in completely the wrong direction when I set off, looping around the long way, going up some of the biggest hills around as I do so, "missing" work, and then looping back round to arive. I'm doing this with the general aim of keeping my fitness progressing forward.

Friends and family dont understand and think Im a bit mad.

I've recently changed up from doing 4 miles each way with 100ft of climbing outward and 200ft of climbing homeward to 15 miles each way with about 1400ft of climbing on each leg.

This involves heading in completely the wrong direction when I set off, looping around the long way, going up some of the biggest hills around as I do so, "missing" work, and then looping back round to arive. I'm doing this with the general aim of keeping my fitness progressing forward.

I have to go 18miles to do similar, although the climb isnt much a cheap steel fixie can handle it, on Friday I slept in though and went the direct way.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

I do the same. Direct route is just under 12 miles.
So I head south first before doubling back to make the morning journey 20 miles.
The evening return journey I have a route of 15 miles.

Mange-tout

I do both ways now but when I used to commute Ed-Dunfie, I bought a book flexi pass train tickets and used one in the morning and cycled at night; it saved sitting sweaty in the office and made it doable 5 days a week. I also hated the thought of descending it in the winter. The hill although longer is a lot less steep going by Fordel instead of going left and by Middlebank.
I did think of going up by Fordell instead one afternoon but it just seemed a bit of a stretch turning right towards Dalgety Bay instead of going straight on. Actually I probably would have taken the same amount of time as I can get up to 4mph + up Fordell instead of a slow 2.8mph, and you can weave and wobble as much as you like on the cycle path:laugh: . I'm going to try it next week. Fordell is still hard, but doable :smile:.

I'm lucky in that I can get a lift in and cycle home as many times as I can manage:laugh:. One week I'll up it to 3 times :smile: I cannot imagine going both ways, every day, like you and many others do. Well done. And I presume you barely build up a sweat now;)?.

Risex4

Dropped by the autobus
I have to go 18miles to do similar, although the climb isnt much a cheap steel fixie can handle it, on Friday I slept in though and went the direct way.

Previous normal commute: http://app.strava.com/activities/45040481
New Mega Commute: http://app.strava.com/activities/45817119

Add my boss and subordinates to the list of people who give me a strange look when I explain why I get up quite a bit earlier to arrive slightly later at work (still with plenty of cool down time though).

Col5632

Guru
I did think of going up by Fordell instead one afternoon but it just seemed a bit of a stretch turning right towards Dalgety Bay instead of going straight on. Actually I probably would have taken the same amount of time as I can get up to 4mph + up Fordell instead of a slow 2.8mph, and you can weave and wobble as much as you like on the cycle path:laugh: . I'm going to try it next week. Fordell is still hard, but doable :smile:.

I'm lucky in that I can get a lift in and cycle home as many times as I can manage:laugh:. One week I'll up it to 3 times :smile: I cannot imagine going both ways, every day, like you and many others do. Well done. And I presume you barely build up a sweat now;)?.

I know the hill you mean, thankfully i can do the slightly easier fordell hill but its still a tuff climb after a day at work with tired legs, i usually cycle the 5 miles each way to the bay and back 4 days a week

Top Bottom