Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peterob

Veteran
Smashing times all round today chaps, well done!

Anyone racing tomorrow? I'm away with work on Friday and only home from work tomorrow so I'm definitely going for something, possibly the 3R greater london flat at 1715.
I think I'll be doing that 1715 race tonight. I'm away tomorrow for a long weekend (will miss TdZ stage 4) so want to get a ride in tonight before I go.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Does anyone know if closed races are in the pipeline with Zwift. I thought the new companion app upgrade may have allowed the possibility

I think they believe that currently, there is enough organised closed events. Its easy to manipulate a current event for Cyclechat private event.

Pick an advertised race on a particular course, join as normal, BUT WAIT
on the start line for, lets say 1 min. Ta'da a closed road private Cyclechat event:okay:

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Amen to that!

I signed on for the KISS EUR on Tuesday and saw a mass of cyclechatters, so figured I'd join the group while I warmed up. But the group was in the middle of climbing Keith Hill. Ugh. Left in the dust, but still used it as a good warm up before the race.

'twas expecting two laps (and thus two climbs up box hill), but they only had us do a single lap in D. Uneventful up to the climb where I essentially was telling myself not to drop anchor. I think I kept ~200W for the duration, though the fastest riders in D sped away. Crested with one other and we were promptly caught on the downhill by a lone rider using an aero. My other companion then used his truck. I had nothing, but did just enough to stick with them. Both seemed to be taking it easy on the flat part in the subway, so I guessed they were both pretty spent. I hit the gas hard on the climb out of the subway, opened a good gap and held ~200W for the final mile finishing about 10s ahead of them. Another 2nd. 10s behind the official winner.
Tactics are so important in racing. When the others use their PUs is also a good indication of how they are feeling. i also sometimes select an opponent in the companion app to see what power they are pushing and to try and gauge how they are riding. Seems you got it perfect yesterday - saw they were on their limit so attacked on the escalator ascent, got a gap and held it :okay: This is where the workouts have been helping me out - training for the shortish bursts of power (to say get over a small lump) but then being able to hold good tempo watts afterwards and still recover. Well done Jeff ^_^

Whorty

Does anyone know if closed races are in the pipeline with Zwift. I thought the new companion app upgrade may have allowed the possibility
It's coming. The new 'meet up' functionality is the start of this. we really must have a pop at that and see how it works :smile: There was a blog I read somewhere when the new meet ups was released saying that they didn't push it to full private racing as they wanted to test this functionality first in a more 'simple' mode but later this year they will push the full functionality out.

I believe (but like i say, not tested it yet) the meetup just plonks you on the map with your friends who have joined the meetup. You won't be at a start line, you won't really be able to race as start times (i.e. when we each join the meet up) could differ, plus the roads will be open so there will be loads of other riders present and impacting the race.

Maybe a few of us just test this out one of the evenings, for a gentle spin, and see what actually happens?

Whorty

I think they believe that currently, there is enough organised closed events. Its easy to manipulate a current event for Cyclechat private event.

Pick an advertised race on a particular course, join as normal, BUT WAIT
on the start line for, lets say 1 min. Ta'da a closed road private Cyclechat event:okay:
That could work, but with the tdz rides definitely wouldn't. There were supposed to be over 2000 on the ride last night but I could only see 75 riders. At one point I was actually riding on my own (in that I had small groups ahead and behind but I wasn't in a group myself). despite this my placing was changing so there were others near me 'in the system' I just couldn't see them. Then, all of a sudden, the road filled up and Chris was in a group just ahead. It could be that we were actually riding the same pace for the 28km up to that point and just couldn't see each other. When in the pen waiting for the start i couldn't see Chris was present but we messaged each other and we were both there. I think if we pick small races it might work, but for larger races there'd just be the risk that we wouldn't see each other. We really need Zwift to release the full 'meet up' functionality.

Whorty

@Freelanderuk are you toying with me? just noticed the HR figures from last night. I have max HR of 178 (same as @Perky77 ) and ave of 169 but your ave is 148 with a max of 161 :eek: I'd be hardly working at 148 HR, and a max of 161 would be a half hearted sprint at best. I think you're lulling me into a false sense of security, and when you decide to turn on the afterburners all I'm going to see is dust :surrender::laugh:

JuhaL

Guru
@Freelanderuk are you toying with me? just noticed the HR figures from last night. I have max HR of 178 (same as @Perky77 ) and ave of 169 but your ave is 148 with a max of 161 :eek: I'd be hardly working at 148 HR, and a max of 161 would be a half hearted sprint at best. I think you're lulling me into a false sense of security, and when you decide to turn on the afterburners all I'm going to see is dust :surrender::laugh:
I hope it doesn't mean that you want ride alone for now on :laugh:

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
@Whorty How do you think I feel :cry: ... You lot are cruising along and I'm pushing 185 just to keep up!!! :cry:

Top Bottom