Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Hi folks - I've recently joined zwift, doing the ftp builder training course and working harder than I've done over the winter for a long time, which was the intention. I find myself with a spare day today and fancy trying a race. Looking at the 16:05 3R volcano 50km flat.

Would that be a reasonable place to start? I just squeeze into category C, 2.52 Watts /kg although I don't have a scale here and could well have put on almost 2 kgs over the festive period, which would take me back into category D. So I'm not expecting very much other than seeing if I can last the distance.

I assume once I've registered, login and choose the race (I've allowed zwiftpower as a connection) I automatically find myself at the right place to start?

How will I identify other people I'm racing against? Is it just a free for all, or is there a way of knowing who is Cat C, Cat D etc?

Welcome Nebulous to the 'Ones who cannot be named' :biggrin:
The course is here https://www.strava.com/segments/14498293 7.42 miles in length.
A few pointers, blast out of the start gates, but dont go into the red on your effort at the start-30 to 60 secs max effort before settling into race pace. If you find yourself alone, being dropped from a pack, dont worry, look at the ride side of the screen and you will those in the race and how close they are in seconds. If there is a small group allowing them to catch you and stay with them. Reason is you travel much faster in a group even with 2 or 3 riders than solo. Watch out for the climbs, this is where most riders put in bigger efforts to keep pace high or try and make a break. Do not ride on the front of your group, draft by staying behind one or two riders. Break away attempts rarely work, so be patient and let the group speed pull back the lone break away rider. The last lap pace will go up, its your duty now as a Zwift Cyclechatter to hang in there and muster everything for the sprint. Dont go too early in the sprint maybe 300 yards or less unless everyone else goes early. If you can remember all this and still race flat out, youre better than most of use who just cylce flat out until we finish :laugh:
Good luck

Last edited:
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Nebulous, is that the name in Zwift and Zwiftpower? It helps us know when on Zwift for ride on thumbs up etc

mjd1988

Guru
Welcome Nebulous to the 'Ones who cannot be named' :biggrin:

blast out of the start gates, but dont go into the red on your effort at the start-30 to 60 secs max effort before settling into race pace. I

Welcome!

Listen to Andy's advice, especially that first couple of minutes, you really have to ramp it up for a few second before the start and remember that no one can hold the frantic pace for too long! whichever group you settle into after a few minutes is your race - you must sprint at the end to beat them like you are at the front!

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Decided not to ride in the end today. Legs feel fine, chest is well flubbered. Can't stop hacking up mustard coloured gunk! Breathing not great xx( Back off to docs tomorrow to see what he has to say. Want this sorted now as getting bored not being able to race :banghead:

Nebulous

Guru
Well I've no idea what happened there, but it was tougher than I expected. I started off too fast, landed with people I couldn't live with and fell back through the groups. Rode about half the first lap on my own. Then I got to the end of the first lap a table came up and suddenly I was riding round the loop, out of the race. The counter was saying 127 / 165 at the end of the lap, but I don't know if that was 165 starters or 165 left in.

Do you need to click to continue for the second lap? Or did I get bounced because I fell off the back? I didn't have my glasses on, so didn't see what it was saying at the bottom of the screen.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Hi Andy off to get setup. j West on zwift.

Hi James, I think I've got you added friend on Zwift. I gave you a message or two. How did you get on?

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Well I've no idea what happened there, but it was tougher than I expected. I started off too fast, landed with people I couldn't live with and fell back through the groups. Rode about half the first lap on my own. Then I got to the end of the first lap a table came up and suddenly I was riding round the loop, out of the race. The counter was saying 127 / 165 at the end of the lap, but I don't know if that was 165 starters or 165 left in.

Do you need to click to continue for the second lap? Or did I get bounced because I fell off the back? I didn't have my glasses on, so didn't see what it was saying at the bottom of the screen.

you just keep riding, there is nothing to touch. 127/165 is position in the race. Central on screen at the top is how many miles left and what lap you're on. Maybe you got dropped from the groups and ended alone? Racing is tough, try a shorter race a 17/18miler (30k) .There are very short races,
(10k) but are flat out start to finish. Stick at it, you will improve

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)

You should just continue on the course automatically. When the race is over, and you have completed the full distance, a box will pop up on th escreen showing your times (you can't miss it, it takes over the whole screen).

The 127/165 is showing (I believe) your current position and how many started.

Are you registered on ZwiftPower? If not, then do so. Link up your Zwift, Strava and ZwiftPower accounts. Then race results will show in ZwiftPower. You can also join the CycleChat Team in ZwiftPower, this will show all our races and results too.

mjd1988

Guru

According to zwiftpower you finished okay (you don't need to click anything so I guess that must have been the end of the race). There was someone in the Ds who you were a couple of minutes ahead of so dont be too discouraged! Quite a long race to start with, it takes a bit of time to get used to the surges on the hills particularly.

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=122962

Nebulous

Guru
Well that's strange. It certainly said 50km when I signed up, then stopped at 25. There was a counter in the centre of the screen at the bottom, as there usually is at the end of a training session, so that must have been saving data at the end of the race. Coming towards the end there were a few people behind me, but I guess some of them dropped out before the line.

Top Bottom