Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JLaw

Veteran
@Whorty
You came 4th in your race well done :thumbsup: not be long till your cat c
Good run at it Whorty.

FWIW at that pace, we probably could have worked together quite well -- I was 1:01:01 (near the bottom of C class) on that course a couple weeks ago in one of the KISS races. I thought I was doing great until I hit the hill the 2nd time.

JLaw

Veteran
The race groups are very busy, just like a big club ride, or peleton :laugh: You do need to keep an eye on the pack because it can suddenly leave you behind if you take your eye of it. I like to stay near the front for two reasons, I can see the front of the pack, its easier to gauge your overall position, cover breakaways and when I hit climbs and drop back, I'm still in the pack albeit at the back-hopefully
This is worth emphasizing -- particularly important when your group comes up on an ever so slightly slower group. It's easy to let off the gas a tiny bit and then realize your race group has pushed forward and you were drafting off the slower non-race group.

If you're near the front of the race group, you can keep a closer eye on things and avoid that pitfall.

bridgy

Legendary Member
There's a lot of emphasis on your FTP or w/kg for choosing race categories on Zwift - is there anywhere that shows your up to date w/kg figure on Zwift (like Bkool fitness levels in your profile), or do you just have to remember what you recently achieved?

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
There's a lot of emphasis on your FTP or w/kg for choosing race categories on Zwift - is there anywhere that shows your up to date w/kg figure on Zwift (like Bkool fitness levels in your profile), or do you just have to remember what you recently achieved?

Paul you can go in any category, if you do much better then you will be bumped up a category. You're without a doubt a strong B. But you could try a C race if feeling under par. Or A race to try and hold on for pacing practice

bobinski

Legendary Member

I have never done an ftp test in zwift but as of weekend following a ride a pop up screen told me my new ftp was 238 i think and did i want to accept it and i said yes. You could do a 20m test in the workouts section.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Have you seen the weather tomorrow 17 Deg C at 6pm:sweat:

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Good run at it Whorty.

FWIW at that pace, we probably could have worked together quite well -- I was 1:01:01 (near the bottom of C class) on that course a couple weeks ago in one of the KISS races. I thought I was doing great until I hit the hill the 2nd time.
I was still chasing someone as I got to the second climb up Box Hill. I hit the hill 4 seconds behind him, with 2 other riders 15 seconds behind me. I caught my pray 3 or 4 times but he kept digging in and pulling away. When he hit the top though he was back to 1 second in front. I'd been pacing nicely and not doing bursts so still had something left in the tank. As we started the descent I latched onto his back wheel for a minute to rest. I could see he wasn't turning the pedals much so I dropped into top gear and put the power down. I caught him off guard I think and pulled away - he reacted but I kept the power on all down and he seemed to die on his backside. I powered up the escalator on the tube and just kept pushing. At the end I was over 20 seconds up.

Ironic thing was, he was on a TT bike and got disqualified anyway so all the extra effort was in vain :banghead:

Would have been good to ride with you Jeff - we could have worked together well :okay:

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
This is worth emphasizing -- particularly important when your group comes up on an ever so slightly slower group. It's easy to let off the gas a tiny bit and then realize your race group has pushed forward and you were drafting off the slower non-race group.

If you're near the front of the race group, you can keep a closer eye on things and avoid that pitfall.
Good advice :okay:

Happened to me a few times - I've learnt the hard way so if we come to a slower group I try to push through them so I don't get left behind.

Top Bottom