Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Knot grass moth caterpillar

IMG_4919.jpeg

IMG_4920.jpeg

slow horse

Three or four squirrels on suicide missions to bring me and my bike down.

Proto

Legendary Member
Wildlife, I'll give you fecking wildlife!. Just been stung by a hornet and it fecking hurt! Felt something in my hair, back of my neck, tried to feel what it was when BANG. Then it buzzed off at sat on the window ledge. Enormous great thing,. Put a glass over it and with the aid of a piece of cardboard managed to get it outside where it flew off. Bloody wildlife!!

geocycle

Legendary Member
I’m still seeing large groups of swallows in the field behind the house. Seems quite late in the season to have them up here in NW England. Any other observations?

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I’m still seeing large groups of swallows in the field behind the house. Seems quite late in the season to have them up here in NW England. Any other observations?

Up until the weekend there were decent sized groups of swallows and house martins here, but the wet weather has put a stop to that.

Maybe they have moved back up your way to avoid the heavy band of rain that’s just gone through southern England and Europe? They’re not daft.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
We were on Lefkada last week, a Greek island in the Ionian sea. It's famous for its fabulous honey which you can buy from the locals' stalls by the side of the road. Sitting on the terrace outside the house we rented, we never saw any bees at all. The main visitors to the flowers on the creeper growing up the side of our house were Hummingbird Hawkmoths. They must be fantastic pollinators, spending less than a second on each flower before moving on to the next. They moved far too fast for me to get a photo so here's an expert snapper's masterpiece.

Attachments

• Hummingbird-Hawk-Moth-Pictures.jpg
    Hummingbird-Hawk-Moth-Pictures.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 7

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Never heard of them throwing bricks at pigeons before!

PS I hope you left the pigeon there; the Sparrowhawk will probably return to claim its prize.

Yes, I left it overnight, and, it came back and ate most of it. The Sparrow Hawk was barely 2/3 the size of the pigeon, so, I assume it would have struggled to carry it away.

The brick is my self designed door stop for the gate ;)

Top Bottom