Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gillstay

Veteran
Two Sparrow

IMG_20240820_153728427_HDR.jpg

hawks one flying one perched in the tree. Don't often see that so surmise they are youngsters. Only had the phone, sorry.

Alex H

Legendary Member
Happy Fulmar

DSCN2070.JPG

Windle

Über Member
I'm pretty sure there was a Greenfinch on our Niger seed feeder this morning, I couldn't fully see it as it was around the far side, (with a Goldfinch in full view at the front), but the sun was shining on what I could see of it and it was positively iridescent green / yellow.

Windle

Über Member
Drinking tea in bed and a tree sparrow arrived in the garden. Reached for the binoculars and confirmed that it was definitely the red listed tree sparrow rather than its more ubiquitous house sparrow cousin. Great start to the day, just a shame the camera battery was flat!

I've only ever seen one, about twelve or thirteen years ago, on our seed feeder. Strangely, it was there at exactly the same time as a pair of Yellowhammers which were pecking around on there patio underneath!
We only seem to get Dunnocks and House Sparrows now, I've never seen a Tree Sparrow since, that's not to say they aren't still visiting of course. When we moved up here in 2000 there wasn't a House Sparrow to be seen, they were in decline back then I seem to recall, but have certainly bounced back. Starlings are a rare visitor too, but I suppose where we are we mainly get country birds. A few months ago when I opening the front blinds one morning I saw what looked like an angry little Wren shouting at it's reflection on the window ~ but on closer inspection it was a Goldcrest, which I've seen only one other time over the back garden.

geocycle

Legendary Member
I've only ever seen one, about twelve or thirteen years ago, on our seed feeder. Strangely, it was there at exactly the same time as a pair of Yellowhammers which were pecking around on there patio underneath!
We only seem to get Dunnocks and House Sparrows now, I've never seen a Tree Sparrow since, that's not to say they aren't still visiting of course. When we moved up here in 2000 there wasn't a House Sparrow to be seen, they were in decline back then I seem to recall, but have certainly bounced back. Starlings are a rare visitor too, but I suppose where we are we mainly get country birds. A few months ago when I opening the front blinds one morning I saw what looked like an angry little Wren shouting at it's reflection on the window ~ but on closer inspection it was a Goldcrest, which I've seen only one other time over the back garden.
We back onto fields so are very lucky with what chooses to visit. The house list is around 35 despite the garden being tiny. I love a goldcrest, here’s one from a few years ago, quite a rare visitor for us.

1724588484772.png

Windle

Über Member
We back onto fields so are very lucky with what chooses to visit. The house list is around 35 despite the garden being tiny. I love a goldcrest, here’s one from a few years ago, quite a rare visitor for us.

View attachment 742600

I don't think we've had that many but:
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Coal Tit
Long Tailed Tit
Robin
Wren
House Sparrow
Hedge Sparrow
Tree Sparrow
Chaffinch
Greenfinch
Goldfinch
Bullfinch
Siskin
Yellowhammer
Goldcrest
Nuthatch
Willow Warbler
Chiffchaff
Blackcap
Blackbird
Song Thrush
Starling
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Collared Dove
Wood Pigeon
Sparrowhawk
Jackdaw
Carrion Crow
Magpie

So 30 species, with possibly a brief glimpse of a Jay and I'm pretty sure a Tawny Owl that I heard once was actually in a tree in the garden.
There're probably more.

Annoyingly whenever I've done the Big Garden Birdwatch I never get that many visitors.

Windle

Über Member
I'm pretty sure there was a Greenfinch on our Niger seed feeder this morning, I couldn't fully see it as it was around the far side, (with a Goldfinch in full view at the front), but the sun was shining on what I could see of it and it was positively iridescent green / yellow.

My eyes weren't deceiving me ~ not the best photo from the wildlife camera a good few feet away but definitely a Greenfinch.

DSCF0386.JPG

geocycle

Legendary Member
I don't think we've had that many but:
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Coal Tit
Long Tailed Tit
Robin
Wren
House Sparrow
Hedge Sparrow
Tree Sparrow
Chaffinch
Greenfinch
Goldfinch
Bullfinch
Siskin
Yellowhammer
Goldcrest
Nuthatch
Willow Warbler
Chiffchaff
Blackcap
Blackbird
Song Thrush
Starling
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Collared Dove
Wood Pigeon
Sparrowhawk
Jackdaw
Carrion Crow
Magpie

So 30 species, with possibly a brief glimpse of a Jay and I'm pretty sure a Tawny Owl that I heard once was actually in a tree in the garden.
There're probably more.

Annoyingly whenever I've done the Big Garden Birdwatch I never get that many visitors.
Our list is similar. I’ve not had Yellowhammer or nuthatch but have noted grey wagtail, pheasants, mistle thrush, Jay and various gulls. This one had me puzzled, think it’s an escaped canary but was never quite sure!
1724605035887.jpeg

Top Bottom