When is it going to stop... Raining

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Down below 18 degrees again in the house today... Thermals back on!

I have a holiday in Scotland coming up in 5 weeks time and I am wondering how much cycling I will want to do there if the weather is as bad as I fear that it might be...
Believe it or not, Scotland is quite a big place in relation to weather, so it will very much depend on where exactly you are going.

AndyRM

XOXO
Bit windy and occasionally rainy here on the Costa Del North Shields but here is the current view:

IMG20240823113859.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
What wetsuit for cycling...? :whistle:
You around the 5'10" mark, height wise?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You around the 5'10" mark, height wise?
Not since I was about 14 years old! :okay: (6' 1")

Easy to narrow that down then; must have been 1976!

1982, 1995, 2003, 2018...
How young do you think I am! :laugh:

The super-wet and super-sunny summers would both have been somewhere between 1960 (me being old enough to remember them) and 1969 (my last childhood summer there). If you can't track them down I might have a look myself later.

I'm sure you will be fine.

I'll be interested in hearing what routes you choose, as there must be lots to pick from around there. Enjoy :okay:
There aren't as many routes as one might think, given that there is a huge area taken up by lochs, mountains, and the sea!

Hopefully the weather will be kind enough to tempt me into doing some long rides.

My sister said that on a sunny day she might fancy (annoying @oldwheels by) visiting Mull, in which case I'd go over with her and either do the southern loop or even ride anticlockwise as far as Tobermory.

I have a few other routes in mind, subject to conditions.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Not since I was about 14 years old! :okay: (6' 1")

How young do you think I am! :laugh:

The super-wet and super-sunny summers would both have been somewhere between 1960 (me being old enough to remember them) and 1969 (my last childhood summer there). If you can't track them down I might have a look myself later.

There aren't as many routes as one might think, given that there is a huge area taken up by lochs, mountains, and the sea!

Hopefully the weather will be kind enough to tempt me into doing some long rides.

My sister said that on a sunny day she might fancy (annoying @oldwheels by) visiting Mull, in which case I'd go over with her and either do the southern loop or even ride anticlockwise as far as Tobermory.

I have a few other routes in mind, subject to conditions.

There is no southern loop as it is straight down to Fionnphort for Iona and the same road back.
The loop you perhaps mean goes down Glen More and back by Loch na Keal and on up the west coast past Calgary and round to Tobermory or it can be cut shorter by cutting back to Salen and the double track road to Craignure. You can also go from Dervaig to Salen to miss Tobermory and a couple of steep hills.
Generally it seems easier going clockwise with longer but less steep hills except Dervaig to Tobermory.

Top Bottom