What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Thanks.

The weather might be a bit iffy but as long as we can get out very day on the bikes or on foot without getting absolutely soaked we will be happy. We won't be going up onto the fells but we hope to get to Coniston and Windermere as well as round the north side of Morecambe Bay.

That sounds Brilliant ! Looking forward to your tales and accompanying pictures already 😎

Ride safe and stay dry…..

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
The rusty framed-bike I picked up last week is worse than hoped and probably beyond saving. All of the bolts plus most of the components are completely rusted. Therefore despite soaking as many bolts as I could for a week I've been unable to straighten the bars or get much progress. Very little will loosen.

Decision was sadly made today to strip the bike and sell/re-use some of the parts: I'm in discussion to look after someone's bike collection over the winter so will need space. If anyone wants a 531 Competition frame with 531 forks that has a seized seatpost plus seized bars let me know.

I've removed the wheelset, pedals, crankset, rear derailleur, shifters and saddle. The rest can stay with the frameset which I'm offering for free.

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I've a couple of bikes that just don't get used, so today they were stripped of the bits I want to keep such as pedals & saddles and these were replaced with cheapo bits retained for exactly this purpose. The bikes were then cleaned and tidied up while I decide whether to put the up for sale or to take them up to the local Genesis Green Bike Project (Orwell Mencap) for them to work on and sell - the later is the most likely as I need the shed space more than the money.
The replacement derailleur hangar was then fitted to my Planet X and the derailleur re-attached - no further work was necessary as it was perfect straight out of the bag.
Finally, for no other reason than experimentation, a bit of wheel & tyre swapping was carried out with the Planet X and the Triban to see if the wider rimmed wheels would fit to the narrow stayed Planet X - they did so I've adjusted the brakes and left it pending a test ride.

buzz22

Über Member
20240809_155923.jpg

20240809_155927.jpg

20240809_155907.jpg

20240809_155901.jpg

My touring bike got some NOS Reynolds stickers to break up the expanse of white- fork stickers and a 531 Super Tourist sticker on the frame to indicate what it's made from.
The Deore rear derailleur was replaced with a new Claris derailleur, the Deore had done it's job.
Mudguards were adjusted to suit the slightly smaller Maxxis ReFuse tyres and the front derailleur limit screws adjusted to stop chain rub.
It was already nice to ride, now it's even better.

Gunk

Guru
Did a frame swap today. The Colnago CRS frameset is being sold as my son is now too big for it, so I bought a donor Ribble ally frame off fleabay for £30 and swapped everything over. No issues, all went very smoothly, I’ve lost count how many of these I’ve done over the years.

I was pretty pleased with the end product, with its full Ultegra 6600 10 speed groupset and Aksium Race wheelset, it rides very well. Don’t quite know what to do with it, neither of us need a racing bike so it’ll probably be sold.

IMG_4065.jpeg

IMG_4073.jpeg

IMG_4074.jpeg

IMG_4076.jpeg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Did a frame swap today. The Colnago CRS frameset is being sold as my son is now too big for it, so I bought a donor Ribble ally frame off fleabay for £30 and swapped everything over. No issues, all went very smoothly, I’ve lost count how many of these I’ve done over the years.

I was pretty pleased with the end product, with its full Ultegra 6600 10 speed groupset and Aksium Race wheelset, it rides very well. Don’t quite know what to do with it, neither of us need a racing bike so it’ll probably be sold.

View attachment 740360

View attachment 740361

View attachment 740362

View attachment 740363
I'm a bit confused... :wacko:

Why didn't you just sell the Colnago as it was and spend the money from that on the replacement (non-racing) bike? :whistle:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

View attachment 740360

View attachment 740361

View attachment 740362

View attachment 740363

Dare not look, don't need another Colnago

Gunk

Guru
I'm a bit confused... :wacko:

Why didn't you just sell the Colnago as it was and spend the money from that on the replacement (non-racing) bike? :whistle:

It does all make sense, the colnago frameset will make about the same as a complete bike. The donor frame was so cheap we end up with a budget priced complete bike which will be an easy sell. Plus the Colnago has already been replaced.

IMG_4033.jpeg

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I've a couple of bikes that just don't get used, so today they were stripped of the bits I want to keep such as pedals & saddles and these were replaced with cheapo bits retained for exactly this purpose. The bikes were then cleaned and tidied up while I decide whether to put the up for sale or to take them up to the local Genesis Green Bike Project (Orwell Mencap) for them to work on and sell - the later is the most likely as I need the shed space more than the money.

Quick update - the bikes (plus a few boxed inner tubes and other unused spares) were delivered to the charity project this morning. If I hadn't done it immediately, they'd still be in the bike shed in six months time.

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've been sorting through the parts shed, looking at wheelsets. Two carbon rear wheels have ended up at the bottom of the pile, unused and unloved.

So I've brought them out, added cassettes and tyres, and they'll go into service alongside two carbon fronts that don't have pairs. Sans sticker one is a matching pair, the other will just have to be mis-matched.

Top Bottom