What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gillstay

Veteran
Gave the Trek it's 1,000 km service.

Shimano's internal hub maintenance oil is weird stuff. Not sure really how to describe it. Doesn't have the viscosity of any lubricant I've come across, but the hub's factory grease seemed to enjoy it.

Cripes there is some mark up on that ! :ohmy:

Rhythm Thief

Legendary Member
I've removed the Jtek Shiftmate I fitted to my Mercian yesterday. All it did was make the shifting (Campagnolo 9 speed shifters and derailleurs with a Shimano 9 speed cassette) far, far worse.

Gunk

Guru
I'm glad it's not just me. Everyone else in the world seems to rave about them!

Fun experiment though, I went full Campagnolo in the end so I could use the wheelset.

IMG_1442.jpeg

Gwylan

Veteran
I don't often have a camera with me at work so I took full advantage today.

1: A rather lovely if elderly Peugeot Mixte. This will go for 95€ but I couldn't resist parking it in the premier spot for a few days...

View attachment 738534

2: Random BMX:

View attachment 738535

3: A very nice if anonymous racing bike. This looked like a wreck on arrival with the 105 brifters attached to butterfly bars and no headset. The headset isn't perfect but it was all I had. At least the rest of the bike is now presentable...

View attachment 738536

I'm particularly pleased that the bar tape only took about four failed attempts to get right...

The Peugeot is beautiful and I want it

Train to Germany and cycle back. Sorted

What size is it?

Please don't tell my wife

Gunk

Guru
Some track pump maintenance this morning, I have two, a Beto and a Specialized. The Specialized chuck doesn’t work so I swapped the one off the Beto

IMG_4139.jpeg

IMG_4140.jpeg

My son is off to university so he can have this one.

At work we use Lezyne pumps and the screw on chucks are brilliant so I fitted one to the Beto, I had to trim the hose slightly to get the collar on but a quick test proved it’s all airtight. The chuck was only £15 so an excellent upgrade without having to buy a complete pump.

IMG_4141.jpeg

IMG_4142.jpeg

Last edited:
Started fiddling with the Langster last night.

Swapped out the egg beater pedals it came with for some SPDs. Swapped the alloy post for the Carbon one that was supplied with the CGR.

Noted that the centering adjustment bolt on the front Tektro calliper brake was rounded out. I've got some slightly older Campag callipers in the bits box which I suspect are slightly better, so I might fish those out tonight.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
After a very busy 8 months the last few weeks have been quite fettle heavy, some of this has been over the last few months but mostly recent.

I have rationalised the fleet to

1) Brompton which has received a front dynamo hub plus lighting. I bought the front wheel cheap off ebay and got the lights from various EU suppliers. Very happy with it. Also swapped the brake blocks, new chain and sprockets as the chain was well past the wear level on a checker.

2) Dawes Super Galaxy is on dad bike duties, SQR fitting removed and it now had the fitting for the tagalong. Had some great rides with the little man.

3) Boardman CX bike has been the main commuter for the last 8 months. It got Marathon GT 365 I got for cheap and they make for a decent but slightly noisy tyre. It's also recently had new rotator and pads. Most recent job was to fit some Surly Truck Stop Handlebars I got cheap on ebay, I wanted the extra width but the rise also allows me to sit up better in traffic but still get head down in the clear. I also removed the cx leavers.

4) Finally this weekend I did some work on the new bargain ebike. I replaced the straight bars for some swept back ergotec ones. I had to order from France to get the higher spec ones. I also put some second hand lightly used Marathon E Bike specific tyres on it. Initial testing good. Obviously fitted an SQR bracket and now just need a decent saddle and a foot way to carry the necessary ulock.

IMG_20240817_105311.jpg

IMG_20240817_105319.jpg

IMG_20240817_105328.jpg

Top Bottom