What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Walked the dog in the pouring rain this morning.

So I figured it's time to crowbar some 'raceblade style' mudguards I'd bought onto the Wilier before this morning's group ride. Figured, it would take about ten minutes - having in the distant past fitted raceblade mudguards.

Ten minutes turned into forty. And a fair amount of swearing. I missed the start of the group ride so it was an solo outing instead.

The Wilier, is no where near as comfortable as the CGR Ti, and I don't think it's any faster on the climbs. That said, I wasn't going full gas, as really I want to save my legs for tomorrow. I certainly struggled a bit on the biggest climb I undertook - but that's probably the lack of gears (11-28 cassette versus 11-34 cassette on the CGR; both have 39/50 chainsets).

Gunk

Guru
My son bought this lovely 525 Reynolds steel touring bike and it was delivered this morning.

we washed it, serviced and generally set it up for him, I swapped over the pedals, removed the front pannier rack as he won’t be needing it. I dropped the bars but may need to cut the steerer, however I took it out for a quick ride and it ‘s like a magic carpet.

IMG_3999.jpeg

IMG_4008.jpeg

IMG_4009.jpeg

IMG_4010.jpeg

IMG_4011.jpeg

IMG_4012.jpeg

Punkawallah

Über Member
Busy day. Finished a Dawes Discovery 201 refurb (grease bearings; free off rear mech & replace cable; fit 2nd hand brake blocks; ‘true’ wheels; fit rear reflector; lube cables) and add tyres from my ‘rat bike’; tried to replace them with two 27” wheels & tyres to find the rear wheel off-set and no easy way of correcting. Next step Wolber 700c and 37mm tyres, but not today.

Back to the rat bike wheels. Wolber have the same issue as the 27’s :-(
Had a pair of Weinmann 700x16, swapped out the quick release axle for bolt on which was the right length, added a nut on the non-drive side to centre the wheel, had to discard the 6 speed freewheel for 5 speed to get it between the drop outs. Just have to true the wheel, fit the tyre and repeat for the front wheel. Progress!

Punkawallah

Über Member
Back to the rat bike wheels. Wolber have the same issue as the 27’s :-(
Had a pair of Weinmann 700x16, swapped out the quick release axle for bolt on which was the right length, added a nut on the non-drive side to centre the wheel, had to discard the 6 speed freewheel for 5 speed to get it between the drop outs. Just have to true the wheel, fit the tyre and repeat for the front wheel. Progress!

So, back wheel trued after a fashion, tyre added and there then ensued a ding-dong to get the wheel trued accurately enough to let the Bontrager roll without hitting the chain stays. Not a lot of room, there. Still not convinced, but bar re-fitting the tyre with a jig it's done.
Then stripped out the quick release skewer from the front wheel, replaced with a bolt-on axle, tyre added and front & back brake blocks attached. Rear derailleur cable tension and limiters adjusted to account for the five speed block on a six speed trigger, and away we go.

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
Removed two sets of pedals and turned two set's of bars to make some room in the garage.
Removed a nice retro suntour triple crankset .
Found a slightly longer 27.2 mm seat post and took a bike for a test ride 😄

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Cycling to visit mum and granny this morning my gears were being weird. Constantly slipping and wouldn't stay in any one particular gear.
I looked down whilst riding to see the whole cassette wobbling about. At the side of the road I took the wheel off and all my sprockets spilled out onto the path.
IMG-20240805-WA0003.jpeg

Somebody (mentioning no names...) had been tinkering with the bike last night after drinking 6 pints of Guinness and failed to put everything back together properly again.

Oops.
Got it running to finally visit mum.

Gillstay

Veteran
Sold my Felt bike, just gave it a last adjustment and a clean before the off. Why do people turn up in rural area's with only their phone to pay ?

Several times of late as I have reduced my collection, they turn up and complain about the lack of signal. I even warned one chap and he assured me it would be okay. It wasn't and we spend ages hanging around outside as they try to connect.
IMG_20240803_081502852_HDR.jpg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've been slowly working on the Carlton Franco-Italia I picked up from here last year. It's had a re-spray and previously the bottom bracket was done plus crankset and bars.

Today attention turned to the grubby components; the rear GB Coureur brake was cleaned and re-fitted. I still need a matching front brake. Also the rear shifter was cleaned and re-assembled (hopefully in the correct order!). The Benelux front derailleur was added and I like the simplicity of a lever to shift between front chainrings rather than a cable.

Next was the Benelux rear derailleur, which was cleaned. The jockey wheels were dismantled, cleaned, and put back together. That's on.

Also the wheels, which had been re-greased with new bearings previously, got replacement tyres rather than the ones that have been there since at least the 1990's.

Still to do:
  • Sort out the headset as I'm not happy with it
  • Source a correct front brake, which is proving hard to find
  • Add decals
  • Feed the saddle and re-fit
  • Chain
  • Cables
  • Tighten / check the lot and have a go

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
I've been slowly working on the Carlton Franco-Italia I picked up from here last year. It's had a re-spray and previously the bottom bracket was done plus crankset and bars.

Today attention turned to the grubby components; the rear GB Coureur brake was cleaned and re-fitted. I still need a matching front brake. Also the rear shifter was cleaned and re-assembled (hopefully in the correct order!). The Benelux front derailleur was added and I like the simplicity of a lever to shift between front chainrings rather than a cable.

Next was the Benelux rear derailleur, which was cleaned. The jockey wheels were dismantled, cleaned, and put back together. That's on.

Also the wheels, which had been re-greased with new bearings previously, got replacement tyres rather than the ones that have been there since at least the 1990's.

Still to do:
  • Sort out the headset as I'm not happy with it
  • Add decals
  • Feed the saddle and re-fit
  • Chain
  • Cables
  • Tighten / check the lot and have a go

Piccies??

Top Bottom