What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
re cabled the carbon yesterday due to ongoing shifting issues, when i set it up i copied the routing from my other sram and unknowingly i routing the cable the wrong side of the clamp . I did a check on google and sussed the issue .
Doh !
The upshot was when shifting to a faster gear you had to stop pedalling to allow the chain to drop .

Gwylan

Veteran
I found a couple of bike racks that fir a roof rack. Lurking in the roof of the garage
A bit of a wash and sun dry. Then some lubrication, a few new nuts and bolts. Biggest surprise was finding the keys for the locks.
I've learned never to throw odd keys away. One day, line today, you find the locks they fit.

Have passed them on to a chum. I count him a chum for accepting them and releasing the lift space

Also found a long range WiFi aerial

Gillstay

Veteran
Neighbour brought this round. :rolleyes:
IMG_20240818_114633825_HDR.jpg

The Wilier's front derailleur decided it didn't want to shift onto the large mech on the last trip out. I figured the cable needed a bit of tension. When I bought the bike, the last owner told me it had just been re-cabled, so I was surprised to find that the down tube cable adjuster had not only been wound out all the way, but the plastic nubbin thing had been slid upwards with a circlip slid underneath it so that is could be used to further tension the cable.

Anyway, I undid that, wound the adjuster all the way in. Tensioned the cable and still no dice. The skid plate looks rather worn so that might be a contributory factor. It's still got some meet left on it though. Looking at the derailleur from the top down, the rear of the cage was angled inward slightly toward the rear wheel. Took the tension of the cable, loosened the clamp, rotated it a few degrees, re-tightened and torqued it. Now it shifts.

Cable has frayed somewhat at the end, so new shift cables and skid plate added to the list of things to order.

After that, I swapped the 90mm stem for 100mm, which also happened to have a degree more rise. Hoping that's me feeling at least a little less cramped for the next ride.

Next up is was the cheap Langster I recently bought. Got a few odds and sods done to it, but I need to order a brake cable and some more bar tape before I can finish it. I'll throw some more details into the thread.

Finally, I'm just going to strip the bar tape off the CGR Ti - I'm giving up on the stuff that I bought as it has absolutely no stretch and trying some Supercaz tape instead. Needless to say, if I at least get the bar tape that's currently on there off, I'll be committed to finding sometime one evening in the week to put the new tape on.

Windle

Über Member
Fitted some new brake pads to my Trek Marlin 7 last night, the back ones were squealing and the fronts were nearly down to the metal. There's plenty of meat left on the discs so they were left alone. So, since I got the bike (secondhand) last July it's had a new headset, bottom bracket, new grips and bar ends, a longer seatpost and now brake pads. I also adjusted the rear mech last week as when in second gear the sprocket was catching the cage for some reason, there was actually a third adjuster / limit screw which did the job - I only noticed this when trying to solve the problem.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
The Merida Cyclo-Cross got a flat on this morning's ride and I used the USB pump a couple of times to get me home. The cause was a couple of large pieces of glass but the tyre itself was pretty worn, as was the front. Back in January I'd won a pair of Vittoria Terreno tyres in an auction, so put those on. At 37mm they're probably about as wide as the rear will take plus the mudguards.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Fitted some new brake pads to my Trek Marlin 7 last night, the back ones were squealing and the fronts were nearly down to the metal. There's plenty of meat left on the discs so they were left alone. So, since I got the bike (secondhand) last July it's had a new headset, bottom bracket, new grips and bar ends, a longer seatpost and now brake pads. I also adjusted the rear mech last week as when in second gear the sprocket was catching the cage for some reason, there was actually a third adjuster / limit screw which did the job - I only noticed this when trying to solve the problem.

Nice. Bet it’s riding good now. You obviously like it ?

What pads (type) did you put in: sintered, ceramic, resin or ? Has yours got the Shimano MT200 Hydaulic calipers ?

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
The Merida Cyclo-Cross got a flat on this morning's ride and I used the USB pump a couple of times to get me home. The cause was a couple of large pieces of glass but the tyre itself was pretty worn, as was the front. Back in January I'd won a pair of Vittoria Terreno tyres in an auction, so put those on. At 37mm they're probably about as wide as the rear will take plus the mudguards.

You’re the first person I’ve read about actually using a USB pump. Although sales adverts appear for me everywhere; and I’m sure you’re not a pioneer 😉 !

How’s it working for you ? Do you carry as your only means of inflation or …..?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
You’re the first person I’ve read about actually using a USB pump. Although sales adverts appear for me everywhere; and I’m sure you’re not a pioneer 😉 !

How’s it working for you ? Do you carry as your only means of inflation or …..?

I've had one for about 3 months as a back-up and this is the first time I've actually used it. Also, I do tend to carry a mini pump as well but the USB power certainly is quicker and easier.

Windle

Über Member
Nice. Bet it’s riding good now. You obviously like it ?

What pads (type) did you put in: sintered, ceramic, resin or ? Has yours got the Shimano MT200 Hydaulic calipers ?

It is and I do like it, it's like a Rolls Royce compared to my old 26" MTB's and rolls over pretty much anything being a 29er. The pads were resin, the same as the ones that were in, I'm not sure about the model of hydraulic calliper but it's a 2021 bike which I bought secondhand.
I was interested in what you've done to yours so far in your thread. Regarding build quality I think the bikes were built with a decent frame & forks but some of the components aren't so high quality. I've replaced the headset and bottom bracket in mine with better versions and the guy in the bike shop I got them from reckons the parts generally aren't top drawer from the factory. The hubs seem to run OK but you've got me thinking I need to check them for grease now.
One small niggle I have noticed is if I don't really tighten the front QR hard the front wheel seems to move laterally, very slightly, under braking. The cones are done up tight enough but maybe it needs further investigation.
Since I got the bike I've been meaning to put new tyres on as the ones that came with it (Bontrager? XR2 Comp) are pretty well worn. I do intend to set them up tubeless as well.
The other minor gripe is the bars seem too wide and a bit unwieldy, 720mm is way more than any of my others so yesterday evening I moved the grips inboard by about 40mm each end and I'm going to have a run out with them like that to see if I prefer that. If so then it's out with the hacksaw!
Overall I find the bike ideal for the kind of rougher cycle paths and cross country (Cockfield Fell and thereabouts) riding that I do and it fits in the bike stable well, although I do have an urge to fit drop bars to it.........

Top Bottom