What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Top, from memory.

Unusual, it’s usually the bottom one as that’s the one taking the most load, and also exposed to water off the road if you don’t have mudguards etc.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Been busy, so haven't posted, but in the past few weeks I've worked on:

Viner Mitus:

Been out testing this as it'll be my new 'winter' bike. If you can call a lightweight carbon race bike that just has clip-on mudguards a winter bike. It's had a different saddle from Syncros added, plus adjustments to the bars / gears / brakes and the rear derailleur hanger un-bent. It's now working but has been fiddly.

Ridley Helium:

It was a disaster on it's first hillclimb outing; at over 400 watts the gearing set-up was struggling. Either the cable needed tightening or my attempt to fit a wide-range set-up wasn't working.

Took everything apart and, as the crank was always a bit "sticky", I replaced the Dura-Ace crankset and bottom bracket with a ceramic Rotor bottom bracket plus the original Rotor crank we had in the previous PlanetX. Everthing there was much smoother.

The rear derailleur appeared to be the culprit as it'd caught on something at some point between original build and first hillclimb event. Possibly due to quite a lot of transiting with furniture. I replaced the Dura-Ace 9000 rear derailleur and it all appears to be working. Proper test on Tuesday morning then I'm dropping it back to son no. 2 on Tuesday evening.

Raleigh Mk 6 Professional / Guerciotti:

This was pulled out and stared at. Then ridden up and down the street a few times. It may be gloss-painted in Italy colours with fake Guerciotti / Columbus decals but it rides quite nicely. Adjustments have been made to the gears and a new front tyre fitted with SPD pedals rather than the old steel ones. It'll get a proper test-ride shortly and then I'll start parts-hunting to get it back to original rather than the current bitsa.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My Thompson Capella has had a chainring switch; 52/36 to a set of Absolute Black round 50/34 chainrings. I've been wanting to do this for a while as it was designed for climbing rather than other aspects.

An adjustment to the front derailleur and it's all OK, except for being a bit slippy in 34x11. I'll have a try like this and, if I'm happy, will shorten the chain a link or two.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
tried to fit replacement quill stem to the giant but its not wide enough to go around the curve of the bars even pried apart with a screwdriver , its a 25.4 and i measured the bars at 26 ish mm. not sure whether to go for an adaptor with a normal stem or fork out for another quill stem, ideally im after 90 but might get away with an 80
some i have found
1696065905920.jpeg

1696066153149.jpeg

1696066379533.jpeg

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
or go for an adaptor ?
1696066548171.jpeg

Top Bottom