What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fredo76

Über Member
Replaced my 70mm stem with a 90mm one.

IMG_4231.JPG
Step 1 - the cables are too short to take the quill adapter out first, so loosen the stem first, then take the adapter out.

IMG_4232.JPG
Yes, it was in far enough. And yes, the tire is flat.

IMG_4233.JPG
Old stem off.

IMG_4235.JPG
New stem on. It looks to be 1cm lower as well as 2cm longer. Old stem was 7°, new stem is 17°, so no rise.

Hope I like it.

It sure is easier to not have to remove half of the bar tape and one of the brake levers, just to change stems. Time to swap the speedo over, and wash the bar tape!

EckyH

Next changes on the Brompton: cleaned the chain tensioner, trued the rear wheel and put on a new tire (Continental Urban Contact), upgraded the brakes, switched the sprockets from 12/16 to 13/15.
The old chain (SRAM PC-10, probably roughly 1000km) runs very loud now. I'll put on a new Shimano HG-71 tomorrow.

In my opinion the design of the original chain tensioner wheels with lots of rectangular pockets and holes wasn't a good idea. Except it was the plan to store the grime there. That works really good.

E.

Finally sorted out the headset on my tourer so it no longer tries to turn corners without permission. The problem was quickly found; one of the cages was badly damaged.

I was feeling pretty smug about this until I moved the headlight and it ceased to work, so I had to 'borrow' one from work and fit that instead. First use was this morning; it turns out dynamo LED technology has moved on in the last decade...

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Stripped the mtb down and re greased EVERYTHING! if the unlocatable creak hasn't gone now it's gonna be a bike shop job I reckon.
New gear cable and fettled/bodged a front fork bag bracket on for Saturdays camping overnighter.
It's finally shifting how I want it to, getting better at dialling gears in.
Also took a hacksaw to a spatula and kitchen knife so they fit inside my Trangia.

20230919_175406.jpg

20230920_204704.jpg

Had the great pleasure of just checking three bikes today; both fixed by clients, one of whom I've trained from scratch.

The Boss came to collect his son's bike. Fortunately I had a few minutes warning because when I moved it the rear mech was rubbing on the chain. After some swearing I decided the simplest solution was to twist the gear hanger slightly, even though it was pretty straight. The clicking vanished and the gears changed better so clearly this needed doing, even though the rubbing wasn't present when I last looked at it. Ho hum...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A bodge cellar wall fettle...

I had a minor leak in the water main coming into the house. That has been fixed but since then I noticed that a small puddle had developed on the cellar floor. I thought that the pipe repair might be to blame, but no - I found a small crack in the mortar of the stonework of an external wall of the cellar. We have had a lot of rain here in the past few days and some of it has been finding a path through the wall. I dug out around the hole today and filled it.

I think that I might eventually have to do a more permanent wall repair, but let's see if this does the trick.

The cellar is directly under this room and it has airbricks to ventilate it. The trouble is that that causes the cellar to be incredibly chilly in the winter and makes the house very draughty. My plan is to close off the airbricks in the winter and use a dehumidifier to keep the cellar dry. That could work without the leak, but definitely won't if I have a regular trickle of fresh rainwater going in there.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
indexed the gears on the giant OCR then took the quill stem out to have a look to see if i could see any sizing for the bar clamp without much luck as nothing is stamped on it as far i as i can see.
The standard and oversize stems i have dont fit it so diameter wise im at a bit of a loss im thinking its an odd size , certainly not worth dropping £30 for a shorter like for like model

Jameshow

Veteran
Stripped the mtb down and re greased EVERYTHING! if the unlocatable creak hasn't gone now it's gonna be a bike shop job I reckon.
New gear cable and fettled/bodged a front fork bag bracket on for Saturdays camping overnighter.
It's finally shifting how I want it to, getting better at dialling gears in.
Also took a hacksaw to a spatula and kitchen knife so they fit inside my Trangia.

View attachment 707235

View attachment 707236

Great idea watch out kitchen spatula tenon saws coming for you!!

Top Bottom